PDA

View Full Version : Stock work question

redneckdan
01-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Has anyone here ever installed an adjustable comb in a rifle stock? I'm looking at adding one to my mauser stock. I'm not talking about those goofy plastic u-shaped pieces.

Bret4207
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
One of the older gunsmithing books has drawings, Dunlops maybe? I think he pretty much lopped off the Monte Carlo comb, fitted a couple hunks o' threaded rod and some stop nuts. Whats got you wanting one?

runfiverun
02-01-2008, 12:47 AM
look to the shotgun guys adjustable combs are everyday stuff to trap shooters
they sell do it yourself kits if you want

runfiverun

Nobade
02-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Yep, done a bunch of them. No, don't want to do any more. The main thing is to have a really good bandsaw with a really sharp blade to make the cut. Draw it out on the stock and think about it a bunch before you go and do the actual cut. It's got to be in the right place so it looks good, the corners of the cut the same radius, and when it's in the down position it fits properly. Since the amount of wood your blade removed is now not there, you can imagine what you'll have to do to make the two fit together properly. As for hardware, you can get it from the shotgun places or just make your own if you have a mill and lathe. This is a very advanced project, but doable if you're careful.