PDA

View Full Version : the right tool for the job

unclebill
07-27-2014, 07:38 AM
first off i want to thank everybody for this terrific forum.
i dont post much but i have done a lot of reading.
in this case the right tool for the job is this website.
i am finally getting ready to do my first casting.
you see i found a good deal on a 45-70 bbl. for my beloved contender.
and the first thing that came to mind was.
i gotta go to cast boolits and learn how to do this!
i already have maybe 150lbs of range lead i picked up long ago knowing that some day i would need it.
thanks again
bill

unclebill
07-27-2014, 07:50 AM
course i dont know the first thing about it and dont have any equipment.
but that didnt stop me on any of my other mindless forays. https://www.gunandgame.com/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png
here goes nuthin!

JSnover
07-27-2014, 08:42 AM
It's part science, part myth/magic/legend, and part scavenger hunt. Have fun!

MrWolf
07-27-2014, 09:06 AM
You forgot to warn him about the addictive part... :cbpour:

smoked turkey
07-27-2014, 09:32 AM
If you turn out like most here you will learn to love and look forward to your boolit casting sessions. I think you will like your new TC barrel in 45-70. Have fun. And be sure to make room for more molds because somehow they began multiplying.

Bad Water Bill
07-27-2014, 09:33 AM
You forgot to warn him about the addictive part... :cbpour:

Medical science has yet to discover a cure for this extremely addictive hobby.:castmine:

unclebill
07-27-2014, 09:40 AM
i have been loading and shooting cast for a long time.
but i was never in a place i could smelt.
i am now though!

FredBuddy
07-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Everything I know, I learned here. Got 80% of my stuff at thrift stores, and a couple of molds at the not-so-local gun store.

If you are in n. central Ohio, I'd be proud to help.

dale2242
07-27-2014, 06:44 PM
OH Boy!!!!!!
Tenders and casting.
Let the addiction begin.
This is gonna cost you money.......dale

unclebill
07-27-2014, 09:00 PM
i love big bores and i cannot lie! boomp de boomp!

leeggen
07-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Don't forget, we save large amounts of money also!!!! Great fun and challenge.

searcher4851
07-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Don't forget, we save large amounts of money also!!!!

That sounds like some of that government accounting stuff there. Granted, by casting and loading your own, the per round cost is less, but for some reason, I end up shooting a lot more and spending more over all. I guess it all depends on how you value the "fun factor". I find shooting my own loads to be much more fun that shooting factory loads, something I haven't done for many years, but all over, money spent is at least the same, more likely higher, loading my own. Anyone else have this problem? (and then there's always another piece of equipment to buy and try out) :lol:

unclebill
07-29-2014, 07:57 AM
yikes! i found what i think might be just the mould for me but $80 plus shipping is too much for my wallet. too bad the lyman #457191 looked like the best one for what i wanted to do. i cannot afford to pour money into this idea

bunkysdad
07-29-2014, 08:10 AM
If you are going to reload you can pour that much money into jacketed or lead bought bullets pretty quick, and you already have the lead. Does Lee offer a similar mould to do what you want?

unclebill
07-29-2014, 09:03 AM
an old internet friend that i have never met in person just GAVE me that mould. apparently he has watched me give beginner reloaders equipment in the past and wanted to do something nice.

country gent
07-29-2014, 09:15 AM
Buy a notebook and write everything down in it. Lable permanantly mark your ingots when cast as to compositions. Keep records of alloies lubes and how they performed. This saves repeating mistakes and makes successes easier to duplicate. bove all enjoy the journey here and you will have good results start slow make good bullets first then go for production.

Bad Water Bill
07-29-2014, 09:19 AM
Many times I have found that when I do a good deed just because I can good things happen.

Glad things happened for you Bill.

unclebill
07-29-2014, 09:23 AM
Buy a notebook and write everything down in it. Lable permanantly mark your ingots when cast as to compositions. Keep records of alloies lubes and how they performed. This saves repeating mistakes and makes successes easier to duplicate. bove all enjoy the journey here and you will have good results start slow make good bullets first then go for production.
all of my lead came from a bullet trap at an indoor range
so it is all mangled boolits
so i have no idea what the composition is and i of course dont have a hardness tester
a lot of sand mixed with it too.

Bad Water Bill
07-29-2014, 09:41 AM
i of course dont have a hardness tester
a lot of sand mixed with it too.

This is Cast Boolits.

Look in the stickies and a member has already instructed you on the use of # pencils (available at most art or stationary stores) to determine the hardness of your lead.

IIRC my kit cost about $10.00.

unclebill
07-29-2014, 10:19 AM
This is Cast Boolits.

Look in the stickies and a member has already instructed you on the use of # pencils (available at most art or stationary stores) to determine the hardness of your lead.

IIRC my kit cost about $10.00.
i read that about 5 years ago and forgot all about it.
thanks BWB!
there is so much information here that i get sensory overload sometimes.

Bad Water Bill
07-29-2014, 10:30 AM
i read that about 5 years ago and forgot all about it.
thanks BWB!
there is so much information here that i get sensory overload sometimes.

That is the reason I love this site and hand out our business cards every chance I get.

AggieEE
07-29-2014, 10:45 AM
I started the bullet casting/reloading to save money. I've saved so much money I'm about bankrupt :razz:

unclebill
07-29-2014, 11:22 AM
an old internet friend that i have never met in person just GAVE me that mould. apparently he has watched me give beginner reloaders equipment in the past and wanted to do something nice.

the one i got comin is the same one that is in my lyman handgun and pistol reloading book and the gun used is my identical gun.
i never had that happen before.
it is highlighted as the most accurate
i will use the same primers and powder

John Allen
07-29-2014, 12:13 PM
The worst part is the addiction of turning scrap into beautiful bullets.