PDA

View Full Version : recoil-scopes?

plmitch
07-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I have a question. Do break barrel nitro piston and spring pistons recoil act the same way in regards to scopes. I understand that spring guns have "two way" recoil and need an appropriate scope. Does this hold true for nitro pistons? What about PCP guns? Side and under barrel lever guns?

GARD72977
07-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I have a question. Do break barrel nitro piston and spring pistons recoil act the same way in regards to scopes. I understand that spring guns have "two way" recoil and need an appropriate scope. Does this hold true for nitro pistons? What about PCP guns? Side and under barrel lever guns?

Nitro pistons are the same as regular springers.
PCP has no recoil issue. You just need to make sure the parallax is adjustable
Side lever and under usually have the same recoil as springers. Some low power target models do not. The RWS 54 air king is the worst scope killer under the sun.

plmitch
07-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if my granddaughters nitro piston was like my RWS34. Also looking at a air arms tx200 and was thinking what scope to use.

W.R.Buchanan
07-27-2014, 12:47 PM
My R1 is also a scope killer. I had a Leapers 1-4x scope that I ran on my Mini 14 for 1400+ rounds with no issues whatsoever.

The R1 killed it in <100 rounds.

The recoil impulse on these guns consists of a backward push, when the shot is fired and then a snap forward as the piston hits the front of the air chamber. The stronger the spring the worse it gets.

I installed a Leupold 1-4 x VX1 Muzzleloader scope. The Leupold scopes internals are designed in a way that the bidirectional recoil impulse doesn't shake them loose. This is a matter of internal scope design, and if the scope, no matter how expensive, doesn't have it, it will fail.

I called Leupold before I bought this optic and asked this specific question, and they told me that ALL Leupold scopes were rated for airgun use. Plus a lifetime warrantee.

It was $219 from Optics Planet with Free Shipping.

The R1 is a $700+ airgun. A $200 scope is not out of line for it. In fact it is not out of line for a $200 rifle either and the price will be forgotten quickly as long as the service is good.

Before you buy any optic I would shop the hell out of it ( Optics Planet and Midway are just about the best sources) and I would call the company who makes it and ask if the optic will stand up to airgun use. Get the guys name who you talk to in case he BS's you!

I have a Burris 4 x scope that has been on my HW77 for 20+ years and never been a problem. However it is a Burris "Airgun" Scope and was designed to cope with the recoil. If you are going to use a "Vintage" Leupold scope you might run into problems since I don't know when they redesigned their scope internals. This is why you need to call the Mfg.

Randy

GARD72977
07-27-2014, 01:25 PM
My R1 is also a scope killer. I had a Leapers 1-4x scope that I ran on my Mini 14 for 1400+ rounds with no issues whatsoever.

The R1 killed it in <100 rounds.

The recoil impulse on these guns consists of a backward push, when the shot is fired and then a snap forward as the piston hits the front of the air chamber. The stronger the spring the worse it gets.

I installed a Leupold 1-4 x VX1 Muzzleloader scope. The Leupold scopes internals are designed in a way that the bidirectional recoil impulse doesn't shake them loose. This is a matter of internal scope design, and if the scope, no matter how expensive, doesn't have it, it will fail.

I called Leupold before I bought this optic and asked this specific question, and they told me that ALL Leupold scopes were rated for airgun use. Plus a lifetime warrantee.

It was $219 from Optics Planet with Free Shipping.

The R1 is a $700+ airgun. A $200 scope is not out of line for it. In fact it is not out of line for a $200 rifle either and the price will be forgotten quickly as long as the service is good.

Before you buy any optic I would shop the hell out of it ( Optics Planet and Midway are just about the best sources) and I would call the company who makes it and ask if the optic will stand up to airgun use. Get the guys name who you talk to in case he BS's you!

I have a Burris 4 x scope that has been on my HW77 for 20+ years and never been a problem. However it is a Burris "Airgun" Scope and was designed to cope with the recoil. If you are going to use a "Vintage" Leupold scope you might run into problems since I don't know when they redesigned their scope internals. This is why you need to call the Mfg.

Randy

Do you have any issues with the 75yd pre set parallax or have you re adjusted it.

Bull Shoals
07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
If you can find one, the Burris "Timberline" 4 X 12 will hold up . Had one on an RWS 54 and ran about a tin of 500 thru it with no problems. Also has parallax adj to 33 ft.

W.R.Buchanan
07-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I have not had any problems with this and frankly I consider this whole Parallax issue that people talk about a NON Issue on low power scopes. It doesn't affect the sighting with this gun from 10 yards where I have the Eyepiece focused to 50 yards which is normally the furthest I shoot the gun.

With your Cheek Weld in place it's not like you're moving your head around behind the scope so as to induce any parallax related error anyway, so for me at least it is not an issue.

I can see how if you are shooting at 12X there might be some,, but why would you shoot a gun with a max range of 50-60 yards at 12X unless you were assassinating flies? I can see a fly just fine at 20 yards at 4X. I feel that 22 gr Barakudas are way overkill for flies anyway, so to make it more challenging I shoot them with the HW35 .177 with peep sights. I actually hit one once in a while. :mrgreen:

I have shot it a few times at 75 yards Rimfire Silhouette turkeys and the trajectory looked like a curve ball so I figure that 50 is about the max. Not saying it wouldn't go farther because it knocked the turkey down nicely but that far out the wind is a big issue and the hit would be questionable at best.

I see no difference in the sight picture at any distance in between. YMMV.

Randy

troyboy
08-05-2014, 07:26 PM
I purchased a Hawk for my Hatson/Daisy springer. Works well.

flounderman
08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
I have a friend who has an extensive collection of high dollar air rifles and shoots them a lot. He says the BSA scopes hold up for him. I didn't ask which model he uses, but I can ask if someone is interested. Man is a retired machinist and builds rifles from scratch and I believe what he tells me.

Larry Gibson
08-06-2014, 10:35 AM
There is a difference between "high dollar" and "air rifles" and in particular hard recoiling springer air rifles. The "dollar" amount has nothing to do with the recoil. If you have a truly hard recoiling springer, regardless of the cost, then "BSA" stands for "Better Select Another".

Larry Gibson

HARRYMPOPE
08-06-2014, 07:56 PM
My BSA Air rifle has lasted over 10,000 rounds on an RWS 48 and 52.before that it spent 10 years on my Anschutz smallbore gun.it an older airgun rated but i got lucky and got a good one.I cant say it wont die tomarrow though.But they have lifetime warrenty so its what i use on my airguns.

plmitch
08-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Thats good to hear about the BSA scopes. Their price seems reasonable.

troyboy
08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Bsa is a crapshoot.