PDA

View Full Version : Good deal??

Uncle Jimbo
07-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Good deal that is not so good. I know this person casually who reloads and he gave me 250 loaded rounds of 22-250. He use to shoot a 22-350 but sold it and got an AR15.
Anyway he says that these are once fired cases, mixed HS, CCI primers and 34 grs. H335 with a Hornady FMJBT 55grs. They have crimped in bullet from a Lee neck crimper.
Anyway the problem turns out that I can not chamber these rounds in my rifle. Ran into him yesterday after about 6 weeks and ask if he sized these cases before reloading them. Well he said yes and I explained the problem with them. After we talked for a while, I find out that he only necked sized them.
I need to pull these down and FL the cases. Don't have a bullet puller and I priced one from RCBS, the kinetic hammer one. $25.00. I would like to be able to reuse the bullets, powder I don't care.
So is there other types of pullers that don't damage the bullet or case for less that $25.00. :-(

WallyM3
07-26-2014, 09:30 PM
It seems to me that $25 is far less than the components that you will salvage, so it might be worth consideration getting one. I know that I have used them for a cartridge or two that was *****d during reloading, salvaging much frustration.

In addition, though perhaps not in this case, the powder is salvageable, too...if you loaded and labeled the originals yourself.

One tip: put one of those foam hearing protectors in the base of the receiving end of the hammer.

Also, read the instructions included with the machine. A series of rapid, moderate blows is far more effective and less destructive than slamming the hammer in an attempt to dislodge the bullet in two or three tries.

I've found that I could de-bullet a MilSurp 30-06 in one good blow followed by a series of sincere taps in short order. I mean hundreds!

I hammer on a piece of solid tile backed by cement (my floor). The base must be something like that rather than the usual floor woods; that's key, I think.

07-26-2014, 09:31 PM
I fully understand that money can be a very real issue, but if you are going to be pulling 250 jacketed bullets, look into the RCBS collet bullet puller. It is magnitudes faster, easier, quieter, doesn't mar the bullet, and won't break (I've had three inertia pullers break, including an RCBS.)

You may want to post in the Want to Buy sub-forum, as a member may have a used one for a reasonable price.

Sweetpea
07-26-2014, 09:33 PM
I have an RCBS collet type puller, works great.

Will not be cheaper, but if you use the hammer style, you'll probably break it before you pull those light bullets.

Mk42gunner
07-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I have one of the inertia type bullet pullers; it is okay for one or two rounds, there is no way would I try to break down 250 rounds with it.

One easy way to pull bullets from rifle rounds is to use your press with no die and a pair of wire cutters to grip the bullet.

Robert

David2011
07-27-2014, 05:50 AM
What 462 said. The RCBS collet puller will only seem expensive until you use it for 3-4 pulls. By then you will love it. It's about $33 for the puller and one collet at Midway. Fleabay prices are above retail and Midway has a new pricing schedule for shipping small packages that is much better than their previous prices. If you have Amazon Prime you can get them at retail with free shipping. It's a LIFETIME purchase. You'll still need an inertia puller for cast boolits but the collet puller, unlike wire cutters, will leave your bullets in great condition.

Considering the time and aggravation saved over an inertia puller and that the value of the bullets recovered is about what the puller will cost, it's a good investment. It also assures that the recovered powder will not be spread everywhere as with an inertia puller. The powder is easily poured into a container for re-use.

David

762 shooter
07-27-2014, 06:49 AM
I had problems using an "inertia" puller on 222 rounds with 50 grain bullets. Not enough inertia. I was ripping off the rims. I would look into a collet puller.

Uncle Jimbo
07-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am currently looking for a collet puller. A member here said they have a Forster puller they will sell. So I think this is the route I will take.
I looked up the powder H335 and see that it is a popular powder for small cal application. Mostly the 223 but I did find several loads for the 22-250 so I think I will save that also. Always used IMR4895, so is there any peculiarities with H335 powder I need to watch for. The 34 grs. that is in them looks to be a recommend load for the 22-250.

Thanks

EDG
07-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Get a RCBS .22-250 trim die and resize your loaded ammo.
The neck of the RCBS trim die is .010 larger than a FL sizer.
Some other trim dies have the larger neck (CH and Pacific)
Some do not - at least the one Redding that I have does not have the larger neck and will not work.

A .250 Savage die might work also though there are slight differences.

Uncle Jimbo
07-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Get a RCBS .22-250 trim die and resize your loaded ammo.
The neck of the RCBS trim die is .010 larger than a FL sizer.
Some other trim dies have the larger neck (CH and Pacific)
Some do not - at least the one Redding that I have does not have the larger neck and will not work.

A .250 Savage die might work also though there are slight differences.

I have a RCBS 22-250 trim die. I will go try it. Thanks.

Uncle Jimbo
07-29-2014, 08:37 PM
I took my trim die and did what EDG suggested and it worked perfect. When I was done I took about 20 of them and ran them through the chamber. No problems at all.

Bayou52
07-29-2014, 09:12 PM
These co-axial crimp pliers make a nifty bullet puller when used with your press...

http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-GS-89-Coaxial-Crimper/dp/B00004WLK3

EDG
07-30-2014, 01:43 AM
I am glad it worked for you. There is no guarantee how well they will shoot but it is probably no worse than the damage done to the bullets by pulling.
I have measured and recorded the neck diameters of a lot of sizing and trim dies. Sometimes the information is handy.

I took my trim die and did what EDG suggested and it worked perfect. When I was done I took about 20 of them and ran them through the chamber. No problems at all.