PDA

View Full Version : A solution for my mistakes that create high primers

hswaters
07-26-2014, 07:52 PM
I find that switching from small to large primers or vice versa leaves me out of adjustment and while I fine tune the thing I produce a few cartridges with high primers. So I built a little tool to fix that without having to re run the bad reloads. A youtube video at the link.

http://tinyurl.com/qzueeqa

bear67
07-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Great solution to your problem. My only comment is maybe you should practice dropping the cartridges with proud primers--then when you make another video, you can be very consistent.

Just a joshin'--enjoyed your video.

MaryB
07-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Something under the table to catch an explosion? No barrel means no real power but still flying lead and possible brass pieces. Otherwise nice idea.

Old Caster
07-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Why wouldn't he just put them back in the press again and push them in.

hswaters
07-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Well i do have a 1.5 inch diameter by 4 inch long pipe welded underneath where the bullet hangs. No pressure build up and no flying fragments other than straight down.

loaded303
07-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Neat idea. I just load all small primer 45 so all my different pistol calibers are small. 9/38/40/45. Easier for me. I trade my 45 LPP range brass even for SPP. Only time I have a problem seating a primer is when I don't push hard enough. Very rare. JUST ME. best wishes.

mdi
07-27-2014, 11:15 AM
The video has been removed, or at least that's what the page from the link says.

I don't know what kind of tool you are using to seat primers and don't recognize "adjusting the primer depth". I've been reloading for a long time (and boy are my arms tired! ;)) and I always just push the primers to the bottom of the pocket, using a ram prime, stock priming arms on my 4 single stage presses, and two different hand priming tools. I just make sure that the primer is all the way to the bottom of the pocket, and it's been several years (25?) since I had a misfire from poorly seated primers...

historicfirearms
07-27-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm guessing he has a progressive press. On my Loadmaster you had a threaded bolt that you adjusted to set priming depth.

dudel
07-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Neat idea. I just load all small primer 45 so all my different pistol calibers are small. 9/38/40/45. Easier for me. I trade my 45 LPP range brass even for SPP. Only time I have a problem seating a primer is when I don't push hard enough. Very rare. JUST ME. best wishes.

I did the same thing. Switched all my LP 45 ACP for SP 45 ACP. Most of my .45 now a days is .45 GAP, so scrounge my brass at your own peril!

Having everything on small primer (pistol plus 223 and 22 Hornet) makes my conversions fast and painless. Also means less supplies to have to keep in stock. When I use up the last of my LPP primers, I'll trade off my stash of LP 45 ACP brass. I also sort by headstamp. I find I get a more consistent for primer seating. If I get one that feels strange, it's time to investigate.

Walter Laich
07-28-2014, 01:27 PM
any chance the video might reappear?

W.R.Buchanan
07-28-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm sorry but this is just not necessary. Why not just re run them thru the press, or buy a Lee Hand Priming tool and push them in all the way with it.

Alot safer? That's what I have done for the last 40+ years.

Randy

Old Caster
07-28-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry but this is just not necessary. Why not just re run them thru the press, or buy a Lee Hand Priming tool and push them in all the way with it.

Alot safer? That's what I have done for the last 40+ years.

Randy

Exactly what I wrote in post #4. I wonder how it is even possible to do this in a progressive press because my 550 won't let me continue if the primer is proud. When I mess up I just back up and press again. It is easy to make a mistake when using different brand cases because some are much harder to install a primer in than others and mess up my rhythm. Also in all these years of accidently putting a primer in up side down and pushing it out to use it again and pushing one in sideways, I nor any of my friends have ever set one off. Just for kicks we even tried, getting ridiculously rough, when seating one sideways or de priming when upside down and nothing happened so it is safe especially to just seat one deeper in a second try.

loaded303
07-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Seat one deeper second try b4 charging. Right.

Old Caster
07-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Even if you caught it later after it was charged, go ahead and seat it again.

loaded303
07-30-2014, 04:46 PM
I understand but I can't bring myself to it. I have to either seat it b4 charging or pull the bullet. It's very rare I have a high primer. Just me. Best wishes.