PDA

View Full Version : talk me out of it please

nagantguy
07-26-2014, 06:25 PM
Have a chance to buy a 1917 made Mauser sporterized very nicely with a compass and Nazi coin embedded in the stock and some very nice engraving and the strangest looking cone shaped muzzle break decent bore and a very cool bolt Handel. Price is good only as some of you know while doing my kitchen remodel our septic/ pluming had a catastrofic failure and treasure is lean at casa del hard luck acres. Seone be the voice of reason.

07-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Okay. Don't buy it.

RustyReel
07-26-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm a sucker for these things and the engraving sounds interesting. The compass, coin and cone shaped muzzle break sound a bit tacky however. Need pictures and price ..................

MtGun44
07-26-2014, 08:39 PM
US or German sporterization? Some of these were done between the wars in Germany and
are more interesting.

Bill

GhostHawk
07-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Put 20 dollars down to hold it until you have a chance to get some cash together.

If it doesn't happen your only out 20$.

CLAYPOOL
07-26-2014, 10:47 PM
Put some money down for lay - Away. If you can't pay for it , tell this board. some one will help you out.

Safeshot
07-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Sorry, I cannot advise anyone "not to purchase any kind or type of Mauser". They all seem to "get better with time", and when compared to the "New Rifles" that come onto the market. Your money will be worth less next year anyway.

Jack Stanley
07-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Talk you out of it ???? That's sort of like the junkie asking his supplier to not sell him anything .... or a politician saying "No , I really don't want your money for my re-election " ..... Or Rosie O'Donnell saying please don't let me have another cheeseburger , or.........................

;-) Jack

Artful
07-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Have a chance to buy a 1917 made Mauser sporterized very nicely with a compass and Nazi coin embedded in the stock and some very nice engraving and the strangest looking cone shaped muzzle break decent bore and a very cool bolt Handel. Price is good only as some of you know while doing my kitchen remodel our septic/ pluming had a catastrofic failure and treasure is lean at casa del hard luck acres. Someone be the voice of reason.

Reason says have the money first then go shopping - you have already skipped that step.

We all gather here because we like guns and like to shoot them and like to make our own boolits for them.

8x57 caliber is a good cast caliber but you must be aware the Germans had two 8mm bore sizes - which one is this?

Finnmike
07-28-2014, 12:36 AM
We need pics and an address/phone no. where this rifle is located.....:bigsmyl2:

Wayne Smith
07-28-2014, 08:11 AM
Priorities. My process, after being married to her for 39 years, is to clear it with my wife. She has more solid priorities than I do in cases like this, in fact, in most cases. I don't have a problem with her buying too much stuff for herself, she hates to shop! Make sure she knows the cost and possible increase of value factor, we are holding these for posterity. No reason we shouldn't make a profit on them as well!

nagantguy
07-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Gave the guy money to hold it for me, wife is fine with it, she got her new kitchen and I cleaned up the septic mess. Good price and a real looker I'll post pics after I bring it home. Thank s to all you enablers!

Jack Stanley
07-28-2014, 09:06 PM
We gotta stick together on things like this ........ ;-)

Jack

6bg6ga
07-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Ok, buy it and send it to me.

nagantguy
07-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Gave the guy money to hold it for me, wife is fine with it, she got her new kitchen and I cleaned up the septic mess. Good price and a real looker I'll post pics after I bring it home. Thank s to all you enablers!

Artful
07-29-2014, 01:08 AM
your very welcome - awaiting pictures.

Multigunner
07-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Be sure its a 8X57 rather than chambered for the 8x60 or a similar civilian sporter cartridge.
I ran across a very nice German sporter years ago that I passed up because I figured the 8X60 cartridge would be hard to find. The seller wanted 450 USD for that rifle and it was well worth that even then, with beautiful classic stock and fine engraving. I later found an identical rifle priced at over 3000 USD.

The 8X60 was an early attempt to get around a probition on military caliber sporting rifles. Basically the same as the 8x57 but with slightly longer case. I expect cases could have been made from .30-06 cases trimmed and fire formed.

Its not unlikely that some who thought they had a 7.92X57 with excessive headspace may have had a 8X60 rifle and not realized it.

John Allen
07-30-2014, 10:36 PM
Buy that sucker. Mausers are great.