PDA

View Full Version : accuracy with sleeved barrels

nekshot
07-26-2014, 09:34 AM
I have sleeved 3 differant barrel configurations. All have absolutly stunning accuracy considering what I "think" they should have . Makes me wonder why? Really, a old H&R shotgun absolute piece of rubbish and you stick a barrel in it and it shoots 1/2 groubs at 80 yards?!! 303 smle barrels in another shotgun tube and tight groubs I never thought were possible with military take off barrels. I wonder how some of these 8mm take off barrels would shoot in a tube? I think I will try find out. Any of you fellas find the golden pot with sleeving barrels?

shredder
07-26-2014, 09:40 AM
You have my attention. I have heard of sleeving actions, but this is new to me. Are the barrels soldered together one inside the other to make a homogenous unit? Full length? How does that work with the military stepped barrel or tapered contour? I would love to see a couple of pics.

nekshot
07-26-2014, 12:04 PM
You have my attention. I have heard of sleeving actions, but this is new to me. Are the barrels soldered together one inside the other to make a homogenous unit? Full length? How does that work with the military stepped barrel or tapered contour? I would love to see a couple of pics.
All I did was turn the base to the same diameter as shotgun shell, remove metal till they cleared the forcing cone and made both barrels same length. 2 of the barrels I made bushings at end, the other fits snug. All the barrels can easily be removed. 2 I put silicone around base to help snug if needed(in retrospect this was needed for me and my thoughts) the other is a snug fit (tighter than a shotgun shell) . They are all accurate beyond common reasoning compared to blueprinting and squaring every thing in a modern reciever.

dubber123
07-26-2014, 06:53 PM
The only one I have fooled with is my 50-90 double rifle project. It too shot way beyond my expectations.

William Yanda
07-26-2014, 07:00 PM
What provision do you make for sights?
Bill

nekshot
07-26-2014, 07:42 PM
The only one I have fooled with is my 50-90 double rifle project. It too shot way beyond my expectations.
I followed your excellent posting the whole way and your project gave me the confidence to build my poor mans double rifle!

nekshot
07-26-2014, 07:47 PM
What provision do you make for sights?
Bill
You can get as creative as you want, you don't have to worry about drilling thru the barrel, thats for sure! I often mount a solid scope mount and make a dove tail in it for a peep site amd then fit a tall front sight on. I havr a picture on single shot section of a H&r I stuck a 357 barrel in, you can see the scope rail on that and if memory is right I didn't have the front sight on it yet.

dubber123
07-26-2014, 08:46 PM
I followed your excellent posting the whole way and your project gave me the confidence to build my poor mans double rifle!

Maybe some day I will drag it back out and finish it. I left off with basically final express sights and wood refinishing. I bought a nice little English damascus double hammer gun that will become a 50-70 double for my next project. I just need to actually finish one first... I am glad you are having so much success with the sleeving.

rbertalotto
07-27-2014, 08:15 AM
are you shooting high pressure rifle loads in a shotgun action? lots to be concerned about. especially back thrust.

there is a great book available on making double rifles out of shotguns.

dubber123
07-27-2014, 08:39 AM
are you shooting high pressure rifle loads in a shotgun action? lots to be concerned about. especially back thrust.

I did all the math on back thrust before I did mine. Going to a smaller case head lets you run higher pressures. I also used a CZ shotgun with 3 locking lugs and bushed firing pins. I shot it a bunch with 560 gr. boolits at 1,800+ fps. and it's still tight as a drum.

nekshot
07-27-2014, 09:14 AM

I also stay with reduced loads with the 303 I worked the math for my gun. The other barrels are 357's. I have 2 neat and trimm 30-30 barrels I want to put in something some day but if full power is your game then this is not the place to do it.

johnson1942
07-27-2014, 11:27 AM
when you sleeve a barrel their is a lot less barrel whip and vibration. their is custom rifle builder in chadron ne. who has been building rifles for years with sleeved barrels. he tightens them together with a nut that goes on the front of the barrel. then he machines them down and they look like a regular barrel. no muzzle whip at all. his rifles get very very small groups at 1000 yards. also in the 1860/s to 1880/s a lot of guns were shot for a years then sleeved. they were 200 yard bench guns. they shot even better when sleeved. no muzzle whip. you have rediscovered what has been known for along time. thanks for your post and passing on a valuable piece of knowledge to every one.

Clark
07-28-2014, 06:30 PM
I have a 17M2 with a fat but lightweight barrel that is a metal skin, metal center [Lothar Walther barrel] and foam in between.
It will do two tiny holes touching at 50 yards and then gets flyers from heating up.

bstarling
07-28-2014, 10:00 PM
I have done some stub ups that worked pretty well, but not one of these full length jobs. Do you have some pictures that you can post? I'm sure that I am not the only one that would love to see some of your work.

Bill

johnson1942
07-29-2014, 11:16 AM
clark, is that a .17 cal. your talking about? if it is i knew a rancher who had one and he said they fouled real easy. he found a cure for it. he took a pie plate and filled it half full of water then he put a stick of a real good lube for cast bullets in the water filled plate and put it in the oven. turned the heat on untill the lube melted and formed a thin layer on the water. he let it cool then tilted to get the water out then turned the plate over onto a sheet of paper. when he loaded his cases and the powder was in the case he would push the neck of the case through the sheet of lube and get a nice grease cookie behind the bullet. he then would set his bullet in the case. he said after that the gun stayed accurate no matter how much he shot that day. it solved his fouling problem. it may help you of it may not. i tried it in a 25/06 and it really worked good for that.

nekshot
07-29-2014, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=bstarling;2872818]I have done some stub ups that worked pretty well, but not one of these full length jobs. Do you have some pictures that you can post? I'm sure that I am not the only one that would love to see some of your work.

Bill[/QUOTE
I recently did a post in single shot on a H&R with 357 tube, couple years ago I posted what was called Poor mans double rifle, and Dubber had a real long very detailed thread on his conversion that was first class the whole way, very easy to learn from his thread. Sorry I don't know how to get the links.