PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded question

TaylorS
07-26-2014, 12:17 AM
So I know most hate load data q's but I'm kinda stuck and the wonderful world of Google just teases me. So I picked my 45acp dies up and some 250gr xtp jwords problem is my manual didn't list above a 230 gr bullet. I have titegroup and some power pistol on the shelf for this y'all have any data that can be shared for me to start with? It's to far for me to go to the city and get another book and a week out to order one online so any help is appreciated!

Del-Ray
07-26-2014, 12:34 AM
When I get home I'll check my logs. I've loaded 260gr bullets for my 1911 before. I think it was Speer bullets, I think the load was in one of RCBS's manuals. I'll check my manuals as well. Should give you a baseline to load for your 250gr.

or at least an idea.

USAFrox
07-26-2014, 12:39 AM
What is the diameter of your XTP's? Is it .451 or bigger? 45 ACP takes a .451 diameter, and .45 Colt takes the bigger one. Generally 45 ACP doesn't take a bullet above 230 grains, and the 250 trainers are for .45 Colt (which is a whole 'nother animal). I don't know how new you are to reloading, but if I were you, I'd stick with the bullet weights and powder loads that were found in my reloading manual, rather than trying to get too exotic. Just my $0.02.

seagiant
07-26-2014, 12:46 AM
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?72529-250-gr-lead-in-45-ACP

TaylorS
07-26-2014, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the link seagiant, frox the xtp is .452 my manual reads a bullet diameter the Same and 45lc at .456 and 454 casull at .451 dia. And I would bought what was in the manual or least the same size n weight but it was home and I was bein rushed out by my ride XD

TaylorS
07-26-2014, 01:19 AM
And thanks for lookin ray I've got a idea with the link but some hard data would be better :D

seagiant
07-26-2014, 05:08 AM
Hi,
Yes! Hard data is what you want! I don't care for heavy boolits in the 45ACP, I prefer the H&G#68 200 Gr. and it's faster speed! Of course if you come into some heavys and just want to use them,why not?

6bg6ga
07-26-2014, 06:36 AM
I want to go shooting with her:Fire:

TaylorS
07-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Lol id have to get the BFG out for her :D is have gone with a 230hp but time was against me at least it's the right dia grabbed the wrong box when I went for 9mm and got stuck with something I can't use til I can get back to ama

runfiverun
07-26-2014, 10:57 AM
i'd avoid the titegroup in this application, it get's pressure peaky when confined.

TaylorS
07-26-2014, 11:37 AM
So another q small pistol primers in 45acp?? Found 2 blazer cases that won't fit my large pocket cleaner

mdi
07-27-2014, 11:27 AM
From what I'm reading, and I mean no offense, you are new to reloading and should start a bit slower. I'd suggest you find a load in one of your manuals (you do have some manuals, don't you?) then purchase components. I'd also say start with a tried and true bullet/powder/primer combination. Tite Group and Power Pistol are usable with a 230 gr. RN jacketed bullet. Get yer reloading basics down and start with well known book loads, then later expand "out of the box"...

I understand that getting components may be inconvenient, but waiting is better than having to buy a new gun or a hospital visit...

gray wolf
07-27-2014, 12:52 PM
From what I'm reading, and I mean no offense, you are new to reloading and should start a bit slower. I'd suggest you find a load in one of your manuals (you do have some manuals, don't you?) then purchase components. I'd also say start with a tried and true bullet/powder/primer combination. Tite Group and Power Pistol are usable with a 230 gr. RN jacketed bullet. Get yer reloading basics down and start with well known book loads, then later expand "out of the box"...

I understand that getting components may be inconvenient, but waiting is better than having to buy a new gun or a hospital visit...

This ^^
I could not agree more with the above advise.

07-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Contact the maker of the xtp's and see if they have reload data?

6bg6ga
07-27-2014, 01:55 PM
So I know most hate load data q's but I'm kinda stuck and the wonderful world of Google just teases me. So I picked my 45acp dies up and some 250gr xtp jwords problem is my manual didn't list above a 230 gr bullet. I have titegroup and some power pistol on the shelf for this y'all have any data that can be shared for me to start with? It's to far for me to go to the city and get another book and a week out to order one online so any help is appreciated!

It sounds like it would be reasonable to say there is a possibility that you don't have a lot of experience reloading so I'm going to suggest the following and that is to make friends with someone that shoots and reloads in hopes of them schooling you in the reloading process. Not saying you cannot grasp the concept but I feel that having someone that can show you the ropes might be the safest way to proceed.

TaylorS
07-27-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm fairly new to reloading and would have grabbed something I had the specs for but I didn't and now I've got lead some weird brass and the powder but no specs I don't need crazy ideas just hard data if their is some. I prefer to load @ spec it'll function and not blow my face off and less math involved. I did check the Horndy site for load data but No luck.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
You're getting some good advice on the powder and bullet combination you have. No crazy ideas that I see. Just more experienced men who are wanting to make sure you don't get seriously hurt. I'd follow it, were I you.

The reason you're not finding hard data in the books/website/online is that bullet and the powders you listed are likely not a good idea and apt to get you hurt.

Post where you're from and we can find someone nearby who can help you get the components you need and go through the reloading process with you. Much, much safer that way. If you're near me, I'll give you the components you need to safely reload .45acp.

Best Regards,

Dave

mdi
07-28-2014, 12:34 PM
We ain't kickin' ya when yer down, but you mad a slight faux pas when you picked up the 250 gr. bullets. That's all. I understand getting components is difficult, but you really should get some more "acceptable" bullets and put those 250s away, or trade them for a more "45 ACP" bullet...

6bg6ga
07-28-2014, 07:10 PM
TaylorS has a good question. He wants a load in which he can use the 250gr bullets he has. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with something. I can remember 20 or 30 years ago people shooting bowling pins with 45acp's and 250 gr bullets. It is my opinion that is is going to work the gun a bit but if used occasionally it shouldn't damage it.

What is the bullet length and diameter?

6bg6ga
07-28-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm going to make a guess and then those reading this thread can stomp all over me. Hornady lists a #4518 in their third edition reloading handbook. If I had some 250's I believe I would load 4 or 5 of them with 4.5 gr of 231 and adjust the length so that it will work in the mag and then check the fit in the chamber.

Isn't tightgroup the same as 231?

country gent
07-28-2014, 07:52 PM
I know the 250s have been loaded in 45acp, Speer had a manual that gave data for thier 265 grnat one time. That data could possibly be used. Start at min and work up to function and reliability I wouldnt hot rod it. Working with unknowns takes alot of attention and working the load up to where you want to be very carefully, paying close attention to pressure sighns, ejection, and details. As to the cases for a few years almost all "green" leadfree ammo was small primer pockets as that was the only lead free primers being made. WInchester had 45acp cases with small pockets also. If its only a few cases discard them or set them back. Otherwise load them seperate ( as a seperate lot even) from the large pistol. I drilled flash holes out in the ones I had and made cases for wax bullets in my 625 smith. That way they dont get mixed in with cases used for full power loads.

6bg6ga
07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45%20ACP&Weight=250&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

MGySgt
07-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Just checked QuickLoad.
45 ACP with the 452, 250, Hornady HP/XTP LC 45200
TiteGroup Start at 3.8 with a OAL of 1.275
Pressure will be just under 1,500 PSI velocity will be 830 or so.

Go easy increasing the charge, no more than .1 grain at a time. Look for functionality and close range accuracy.

lylejb
07-30-2014, 03:11 AM
I have some OLD speer data for 260 jhp's , but it doesn't list either of your powders.

Sorry.

Weaponologist
07-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Here is some Data for a 260grain 45acp. It's consistent with what you've already been given but this link may come in handy later...Good Luck..http://www.reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-31-2014, 07:59 AM
Isn't tightgroup the same as 231?

Titegroup appears to have been designed to be more accurate and use less powder than 231. As a result, it tends to be a good bit spikier with pressures than 231. I used it in small volume cartridges like .380 and 9MM Luger, but after trying it in .45ACP with standard 200 grain #68 clone lead boolits for a while, I decided not to use it any more in the .45ACP. It just took so little in the way of grains of powder over the set load to make it spike up in pressure, I didn't want to risk it progressively reloading it.

I replaced it with Winchester's Super Target, which I found to be a darn fine powder for the .45ACP, meters well progressively, not spikey, extremely accurate, fairly case filling, very clean burning. Almost grey, it doesn't have much lubricant (carbon) in it. A lot like Clays, but more accurate than Clays in my 1911's.

Now, the only cartridge I use it in is .380 and I use it for practice cartridges where I am underloading the cartridge to begin with. It does meter well in most powder measures, but if one makes full power cartridges and has some weight variability in their measure due to press operation or breaking in of a new powder measure, Titegroup could easily be a recipe for disaster.