PDA

View Full Version : Interesting use of new technology

theperfessor
07-25-2014, 06:26 PM
I wanted to get my nephew apprentice back to work making another run of Lyman dies. Right now I can't get out to the shop very easily, and my apprentice hasn't ever set up my Haas CNC lathe on his own. I've always been somewhere in the shop where I could answer his questions. I could imagine him spending a lot of time walking back and forth between the house and shop. What to do?

My wife uses Facetime on her iPad to talk to her older brother, and my nephew's wife uses her iPad to talk to other family members. She doesn't use it during the day, so my nephew brought it over today and my wife set up my iPad and my nephew's also.

Wow, how handy! I could sit in my office and use my iPad and see and hear what was going on in the shop. It took a little while to set things up, but once we were connected and both of us were running through our Wifi server we stayed connected about 95% of the time. And when we lost contact it was automatically re-established, we never totally lost the signal.

Not perfect but better than any other CHEAP alternative, the technology is there in every later model iPad and iPhone. It didn't take very long for him to set up the tools and cut the first piece, which was right on the money. We plan to continue using this technology, so we will make some brackets or stands where we can mount an iPad to watch each machine. Also looking at a signal booster of some sort, the shop is right at the edge of our Wifi range.

I know everybody has their own comfort level with technology, and I can certainly see where trivial uses of technology turn many people off. But this is good stuff. How about using it to mentor a new caster/reloader halfway across the country? How about teaching someone how to run a lathe? I don't know how many times guys post of the desire to learn how to run a lathe or milling machine yet they don't know of anyone to teach them, it's hard learning from a book only, and there are no trade schools around. I know there are lots of internet video "how-to"s out there, but to see and hear in real time what is going on is invaluable.

Think about it, share your thoughts, but please if you're going to go all negative on new technology think about how you are sharing your opinion with the world.

Echo
07-25-2014, 06:44 PM
What a great idea. Wish I had thought of it - but setting it up will take someone younger than I!

jcwit
07-25-2014, 06:45 PM
While I dislike some of the "new Technology" I find it indispensable in todays world.

How's that for a contradiction in a reply.

You are getting better, right?

theperfessor
07-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Recovering as well as can be expected. Twelve more weeks and I'll have a new foot! Until then trying to stay aa mentally and physically active as possible.

I wonder how much some of our members could sell their mentoring time for as a site benefit?

CWME
07-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Awesome solution to your problem! I use something similar at work to help people at other facilities. They call me with issues and if it is something I just have to see to figure out they can give me control of their computer. Kind of neat to work on problems on the other side of the country and never leave my desk.
Hope your healing goes well and you can get back to doing your thing.

Ehaver
07-25-2014, 09:52 PM
If a ranger extender doesnt do it, You might want to try an "N" band router. The signal type is stronger and it broadcasts further.

Great idea with the Ipad

Pb2au
07-25-2014, 11:11 PM
We use IPhones at work. We quickly discovered face time for troubleshooting machines in the field.
it is awesome to have someone point the camera at a component and,
"Phil, this is the valve that is not spooling. What do I need to check next?"
Great application of tech Perfessor!

btroj
07-25-2014, 11:42 PM
My wife and I use Facetime to communicate with our daughter when she is away at college. Seeing makes a difference.

Welcome to the 21 st century Keith!

Bzcraig
07-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Whatever it takes to keep you involved and him working seems like good technology to me

bangerjim
07-26-2014, 01:00 PM
What a great idea. Wish I had thought of it - but setting it up will take someone younger than I!

Nothing to set up. If you have newer FaceTime-enabled devices (iPhone/iPad) that are 3g/4g, you just aim and go! That is how we do it in our company. It does take minutes/data, so if you have a usage-crippled phone plan......we have unlimited everything.....you need to look at that B4 going hog-wild! Or mess around with WIFI which does take a bit more messing with. We do not bother.

Isn't technology wuuuunderful!

bangerjim

JeffinNZ
07-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a sensible use of that which is available to assist with your current constraints.

William Yanda
07-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Are you saying old dogs can learn new tricks?
Best to you Prof.
Bill

BNE
07-26-2014, 08:53 PM
Facetime is also useful when you are looking for a lamp and you want your wifes approval before you bring it home!

btroj
07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Facetime is also useful when you are looking for a lamp and you want your wifes approval before you bring it home!

What? You need approval?

FaceTime is great for that. I'm just lucky enough to have very similar taste to my wife, just not always.....

Pb2au
07-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Traveling a lot for my job, FaceTime has been a boon. As Btroj said, sometimes seeing one another makes all the difference.
I think it is pretty darn cool to have this technology available nowadays.

gray wolf
07-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Excellent use of what is available, how could anyone say it's a bad idea.
Good on you Sir,
Did I say get well and mend soon ?

Sam