PDA

View Full Version : Color Case Hardening Ruger frame

webradbury
07-24-2014, 04:54 PM
For some time, I have been thinking about refinishing my Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have been having fun lately experimenting and learning the rust blue process and this is probably what I will do.

I really want to case harden the frame but when I began researching this, I read somewhere that Ruger frames are cast and this may pose a problem.

I don't know if they are cast or not and I don't know if cast can be case hardened or not so I ask here. I have seen photos online of Blackhawks with case hardening so I'm leaning towards it is possible.

Also, now that I think about it, are the ruger hammers SS? Can they by case hardened? Again, have seen pics.....

If any are wondering, I have had the gun since 7th grade when my father bought if for me. I hunted with it for years and it shows. Not abuse, just wear. I want it to be around for a long time for my sons and hopefully, grandsons.

brtelec
07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
This guy is here in Arizona and does traditional color case on the Ruger Blackhawks. He is doing my Super Blackhawk.

http://www.classicsingleaction.com/

This is true bone and charcoal color case hardening.

webradbury
07-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Wow! He does nice work! Price is decent also. Thanks

reed1911
07-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I have to think that if the pictures are accurate for his normal work, that unless I was planning on doing a bunch of guns or getting into that part of the business you would be money and time ahead to have him do it.

pietro
07-25-2014, 02:24 PM
For some time, I have been thinking about refinishing my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I really want to case harden the frame but I don't know if they are cast or not. - All Ruger cylinder frames are cast, using the lost-wax process.

Also, now that I think about it, are the ruger hammers SS ? - No, stainless hammers are AFAIK only issued on stainless revolvers.

I would additionally suggest applying a magnet to the bottom of the gripframe - if it sticks, the gripframe is steel; aluminum alloy if it doesn't.

Steel gripframes are easily reblued; since re-anodizing can be problematic, an alloy gripframe is much more easily polished/buffed to a high gloss (like chrome).

reed1911
07-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Oh no, they are steel. But they are (or at one time were) investment cast. Ruger pioneered the practice for use in guns and does most of their parts that way. In fact, they will do your parts that way too, they also accept orders for small lot jobs.

country gent
07-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Look at some of Doug Turnballs work case hardening also. He does beautiful case hardining and finishing work also.

reed1911
07-25-2014, 06:09 PM
No, I think Doug is pretty well the master at this time. I do not think anyone can do a better job than he. The only issue there is #1 he is very booked up with work. #2 due to that high demand, he is very expensive, well worth it but expensive. For high value arms (value in money or value in personal attachment) he is the guy to have the work done.

Naphtali
07-25-2014, 07:59 PM
It is not investment casting of the part that creates difficulty; rather the AISI 4140 steel has been identified as being difficult to color case or pack harden. Turnbull has clearly solved that difficulty and achieves his usual superb vibrant colors.

Hope this helps.

John Taylor
07-30-2014, 11:01 AM
There has always been some concern about color case on Rugers. The cyanide method has been used but to me it does not look right. Rugers are cast from 4140 which will be very brittle if the standard color case is used as the hardness will go all the way through and it can not have the temper drawn without loosing the color. Turnbull keeps his process a secret for a reason.

Doughty
07-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Dennis Olson in Plains, MT did a Ruger #3 action for me maybe 8 or 9 years ago. My understanding is that while it is not true color case hardening, it looks like it. My further understanding is that he did not do the actual work himself, but subbed it out to an unknown source. The price was very reasonable, the work was completed quickly, and the colors still look good.

webradbury
07-30-2014, 07:10 PM
That does look ok. I've got a Pietta 36 navy with a CCH cylinder frame that is beautiful. I'm going to pull it out tomorrow and post a pick of it.

oldred
07-31-2014, 06:16 AM
On 4140 it is not true color "case" hardening, due to the metallurgy it can't be, because 4140 would harden all the way through and if more carbon was added to the surface with the traditional carbon pack method the steel would become dangerously brittle. I don't know for sure what their method is, I think I do but it's only a theory, but it can't be case hardening of 4140. Whatever the method they use it sure looks good and apparently does not cause unsafe metal changes but an attempt at traditional "case" hardening of 4140 could end in disaster!