PDA

View Full Version : Interesting lube... for a different application than you think!

jonk
07-24-2014, 03:48 PM
So one of the guns I cast for is a .54 sharps. Ring tail bullet. Had buckshot make a custom .541 push through sizer. Thing is, I need to size the bullet, then glue into the combustible paper tubes, then I dip the whole thing in melted SPG up to the start of the tube.

The issue was, I couldn't lube the bullets for the push through sizer with any oil based products, or the glue wouldn't stick going into the tube. I tried soap. Trying to size the bullets 9/1000" in one pass, that wasn't doing it. I tried wire pulling lube. I even tried KY Jelly (though felt stupid buying it). Know what worked?

Lee case resizing lube.

Bullets glided through so easily I thought something was wrong. And it is water based so a quick soak after sizing and a rub on an old towel, they are clean and ready to glue on. In fact it worked so well, I'm now using it for all my push through sizers.

Now the question is: should I try SHOOTING some bullets using this as a lube?

Taylor
07-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Water based? I would think it would boil away before it reached the end of the barrel.Just my opinion though.

jonk
07-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Well it is water soluble microcrystalline wax to be specific. The wax certainly won't boil off and dries to a soft residue not unlike that of corn starch with just a LITTLE water added.

jabo52521
07-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Try it and see what happens.

Magana559
07-25-2014, 01:01 AM
I size all my brass with that lube, works great! A little goes a long way.

OuchHot!
07-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I have messed with it as a BP patch lube with promising results. It leaves the bore shiny and rust free. I have not tried it with smokeless. I have intended (we all know how that goes) to use it in a water solution, for pre-wetting paper patches to see if the patch still shrinks and sticks to the bullet. It is a deep drawing lubricant for industry. I never tried to see which one as lee sells it cheap enough.

country gent
07-29-2014, 04:01 PM
I tried it with some pistol bullets as a tumble lube years ago, it seemed to work okys and wasnt sticky as the liquid alox was. I have also used it as a wetting agent for paper patched bullets for my 45-90 and 45-70 with good results For the paper patched bullets I dilute 1 part lee lube and 3 parts water. dip patch, wipe off and wrap allow to dry.