PDA

View Full Version : Infant Grandson providing some nice containers

ghh3rd
07-23-2014, 11:04 PM
I was taking out the recycle bag to the curb last month, and noticed a few nice little containers that I hadn't seen before. They said "Gerber" on them, and are from feeding my grandson, and are about 2" x 2.5" x 1.5"

Being the pack rat that I am, I brought them in and washed them, and asked my wife and daughter in law to save them for me.

Now I have top punches, boolits, and different sorts of stuff stored in them on my reloading and lubing tables.

The one pictured contains over 70 175 gr. Lee boolits.

Randy

jmsj
07-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Randy,
I use those for storing small gun parts and some small gauges/part fitting tools that I make.
I have some of the larger containers that the wipes come that are pretty sturdy and I use them for storing boolits.
It has been a long time since we have bought either though.
Good save, jmsj

Yodogsandman
07-24-2014, 12:15 AM
I've been using Cascade Dishwasher Pods containers, they're clear and just the right size for me.

Wayne Smith
07-24-2014, 10:49 AM
We sometimes get deli meat in similar containers, they have lids. I have lots of boolits stored in them. Our daughter in law makes all her own baby food, so no containers there.

Hamish
07-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Grandchildren are a blessing. Let me count the ways,,,,,,,,

4rdwhln
07-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Our Pomeranian eats old Roy dog food in the similar containers. i have a dozen or so just with different weights of 309-170, each is sorted to 1/10 grain... sure work good and ya cant beat the price.

bedbugbilly
07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
My wife is always giving me the berries for saving containers. I think it's a "man thing" as my Dad was the same way - he saved every little container and they ended up out in the shop to hold screws. Right now, I'm collecting some one pound coffee containers when we're done with them - nice heavier round shaped with a snap lid. Last week, I stopped at Meijers and finally picked up some a dozen or so Tupperware type contaiers with lids. I spent time labeling them and now have all of my cast bullets arranged on a couple of shelves. My wife is a retired teacher - super organized. Me, I'm more "right brained". Gotta admit though, my loading area is looking more organized. Must be the last 43 years of living with her is rubbing off? :-)

Those Gerber containers look like they'd be slick. A good size and lids to boot - easy to tell what's inside!

trixter
07-25-2014, 11:01 AM
I like Folgers cans (from work) for everything empty, and Costco nut jars (the label peels right off) for boolits and everything loaded, and because you can see what is in them.

doc1876
07-25-2014, 12:03 PM
I have been using the plastic oval Ice cream containers for cleaning and storing cases and things. The only problem is I live alone, and have to eat all of the ice cream by my self, unless I can convince the grandson to come over.
they stack pretty nice, and if I need to soak something it is a good safe cleanup.

Bzcraig
07-26-2014, 12:26 PM
I have been using 1lb plastic coffee cans and plastic cake frosting cans for years. I can get anywhere from 500-1000 boolit's in the coffee cans.

historicfirearms
07-26-2014, 02:03 PM
The containers that powdered formula come in are good too if they use the stuff. They have a nice hinged lid and are pretty heavy duty, great for storing sized boolits and such.

62chevy
07-26-2014, 02:06 PM
I've been using peanut butter jars for my boolits and coffee cans for my brass.

casterofboolits
07-26-2014, 02:24 PM
I use the large plastic Coffee cans for brass and loaded round storage. I transfer loaded rounds to 100 round ammo boxes as needed. I keep my cast and lube sized boolits in cardboard white mailers that hold 1,000 boolits. This is a holdover from when I had my hand casting business.

alamogunr
07-26-2014, 02:43 PM
If I save many more containers, I'll have to start throwing other stuff out. My wife just rolls her eyes when she sees me washing another container.

I too use various sizes of peanut butter jars and Miracle Whip jars(until they changed the shape) for boolits. The large plastic coffee containers are just right for brass as are the gallon ice cream buckets.

rondog
07-26-2014, 02:56 PM
It's called "recycling", or "repurposing", and it's all the rage with the tree-hugging environmentalist yuppies. But us rednecks have been doing it since reclosable containers were invented! Who doesn't remember glass jars around the house with screws, nails, nuts, bolts and buttons in them? It's ingrained into our genetics to save and use stuff like that!

C. Latch
07-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Coffee cans
Ovaltine containers
HillShire Farms lunch meat containers
Baby Formula containers
Coconut oil jars
Moving boxes (double as targets, too)

My bench is a hodgepodge of the aforementioned containers.

JohnH
07-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Coffee cans
Ovaltine containers
HillShire Farms lunch meat containers
Baby Formula containers
Coconut oil jars
Moving boxes (double as targets, too)

My bench is a hodgepodge of the aforementioned containers.
+1, not just C. Latch, but with everyone who has posted on this thread. My single biggest problem with containers is keeping up with the lids, but that's a whole 'nuther thread...

kbstenberg
07-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Most of the above containers are on my shelves also. But recently our butter and cottage cheese comes in plastic resealable containers also.

Foto Joe
07-27-2014, 09:24 AM
I have for years been addicted to Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts. My wife buys the 35.5 ounce professional size jars and I haven't thrown one away in probably five years. One of those things will hold about 25 pounds of .452 200gr SWC's or more. Not to mention brass, spent primers, cleaning patches etc. Unfortunately they don't stack well.

multigunner76
07-27-2014, 09:21 PM
I cant believe no one commented on how good the red boolits looked!

Foto Joe
07-28-2014, 07:59 AM
I originally thought that it was a plastic container of red Skittles.

rondog
07-28-2014, 09:16 AM
The big red plastic Folgers coffee "cans" are awesome for brass, I've got 2-3 dozen of them. I use removable Avery labels and write what's in 'em. From fresh dirty range brass to deprimed, cleaned and polished, trimmed, whatever caliber it is and whatever stage of the process it's at.

BCB
07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
I cant believe no one commented on how good the red boolits looked!

I actually was going to do that and ask the question: What is that red stuff--Lube?...

Thanks...BCB

ghh3rd
07-31-2014, 04:33 PM
My single biggest problem with containers is keeping up with the lids, but that's a whole 'nuther thread... That's the biggest complaint that I have in our kitchen, trying to find a matching lid for any container that I pluck out of the cabinet. Seems most of the time I give up quickly and reach for the aluminum foil.

I actually was going to do that and ask the question: What is that red stuff--Lube?...
Thanks...BCB
BCB - yes lube -- it is powder coat paint that I sprayed on the boolits with a powder coat gun, and then baked at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. It is something that many on this forum have been doing for a while now, with good results. Very tough stuff. Another popular powder coating method is to find a plastic container, such as a cool whip container, fill the bottom with about 500 black airsoft BB's, a couple of tablespoons of powder paint, and swirl the coating on... bake and shoot. There are many threads to read about powder coating boolits...

DeanWinchester
07-31-2014, 04:57 PM
The wife feeds the baby (chihuahua) high dollar food in plastic containers. I wash those and do the same thing.

alamogunr
07-31-2014, 04:59 PM
The big red plastic Folgers coffee "cans" are awesome for brass, I've got 2-3 dozen of them. I use removable Avery labels and write what's in 'em. From fresh dirty range brass to deprimed, cleaned and polished, trimmed, whatever caliber it is and whatever stage of the process it's at.

+1 I get them from others when I can. We only drink Community coffee and it comes in a bag. I haven't found a use for the bags yet!

warboar_21
07-31-2014, 10:04 PM
At one time I had a hundred or so of those Gerber containers and used them for all kinds of things. Still have a few of them in the reloading room. While I was working out of town my wife decided to clean my reloading room and threw away most of the containers.