PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits in S&W Governor 45

kevtherev
07-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Trying to help a friend with one. Barrel slugged .4514 and cylinder .463??? Is this because of the 410 capability? Didn't know what to tell him. What say you?

500MAG
07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Not great for cast. Similar results with the Taurus Judge. The 45 LC bounces around causing leading. Yes, it is because of the 410.

MtGun44
07-26-2014, 02:47 AM
No way to make that happy except with a hollow base boolit. If you check,
the old original lead Win and Rem .45 Colt ammo (rounded lead boolit with
small flat point, still in production the last time I looked) has a hollow base.
Many of the old Colt SAAs had up to .458 or even more on their throats, so this
ammo is made for them, and just maybe these factory loads will work better
in the Judge, too. If you can find a HB mold, that should work if cast soft.

IMO, these are a really silly concept, full of fairly serious compromises,
but good luck sorting it out.

Bill

runfiverun
07-26-2014, 11:58 AM
just stick to the 410 shells or 410 brass in these guns.
it'll save you a bunch of time and components.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-27-2014, 10:46 AM
My Daughter has been chompin' at the bit for one of these for a couple years. last Christmas, I gave her my Lipsey Ruger BH convertible 45acp/45colt, to hopefully help her "get over" wanting the governor/Judge abomination.

But, R5R mentions "410 brass"
can you load 410 brass with a 45 boolit ? ...or a 46 boolit, in this case :)

lar45
07-27-2014, 09:34 PM
But, R5R mentions "410 brass"
can you load 410 brass with a 45 boolit ? ...or a 46 boolit, in this case :)

I don't know about the Governor, but for that Judge it is no. The 45 Colt chamber has a sharp end to it so you can't put a longer case in. I bought a BFR in 45/410 also and it will accept a 454. The throats on it are .468ish, but gives fairly decent accuracy with 320 LFNs in 454 cases.

35 shooter
07-29-2014, 11:09 PM
No way to make that happy except with a hollow base boolit. If you check,
the old original lead Win and Rem .45 Colt ammo (rounded lead boolit with
small flat point, still in production the last time I looked) has a hollow base.
Many of the old Colt SAAs had up to .458 or even more on their throats, so this
ammo is made for them, and just maybe these factory loads will work better
in the Judge, too. If you can find a HB mold, that should work if cast soft.

IMO, these are a really silly concept, full of fairly serious compromises,
but good luck sorting it out.

Bill

I think your right about the hollow base design for the 45/410's. A little over a week ago i tried some .454" dia. 298 gr. lee minnie balls with unique powder in my bond arms derringer and got a 2" group @ 21 yds. I was only shooting the bottom bbl. as it was closest to poi. @ 2" high. I just plinked with the rest of them, but could tell this was the most accurate load i've found for the 45/410.
Of course the bond arms is a very strong design. I don't know if this boolit would work or not for the revolvers? You would certainly have to be careful about the pressure of the load with the revolvers.
Anyway, the hollow base must have done a good job of flaring out to seal the bore in the derringer, as i had no leading to speak of.