PDA

View Full Version : headspacing in the .45 ACP convertable cylinder

wmitty
07-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Does the Ruger convertable cylinder for this cartridge have a step (for lack of a better term) reamed in the chamber to allow the case mouth to rest against? I can't see how proper headspace is obtained with the rimless case in a revolver.

Outpost75
07-23-2014, 12:02 PM
The case mouth rests against a stop surface the same it does in the S&W M1917 revolver. No clips needed.

Dframe
07-23-2014, 12:48 PM
The mouth of the case rests against that stop exactly the same way it does in a semi auto

captaint
07-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Then there's the easy (although more money) way out. Get some 45Auto Rim brass. I'm not a big fan of moon clips, so that's what I did.!! Mike

BCRider
07-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Does the Ruger convertable cylinder for this cartridge have a step (for lack of a better term) reamed in the chamber to allow the case mouth to rest against? I can't see how proper headspace is obtained with the rimless case in a revolver.

Yes, that's exactly how it happens.

Drop out the cylinder and you can see the little shoulder. And if you don't believe your eyes or it's hard to see run the end of a toothpick into the chamber from the rear along the wall and you'll feel it catch on the transition.

The big deal with the auto rim brass is to allow the hand ejector S&W's and Colts to eject the empties without the need for a moon clip. In the convertible with the ejector pin the auto rim brass doesn't offer anything worthwhile.

Bullshop
07-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Then there's the easy (although more money) way out. Get some 45Auto Rim brass. I'm not a big fan of moon clips, so that's what I did.!! Mike
In my Ruger convertible 45 AR brass will not fit the 45 acp cylinder as the rim on the AR brass I tried was too thick. I believe this was Starline brass. On the other hand when my 45 colts get split necks they then get shortened to 45 acp length and they fit the 45 acp cylinder just fine.

Larry Gibson
07-23-2014, 04:17 PM
45 AR rims will be too thick. If you want rimmed cases then get some Starline 45 Schofield cases and trim to 45 ACP length......voila.....the 45 American cartridge as used in SASS CBA shooting! Much more efficient with the lighter CBA loads in the much smaller case capacity than the 45 Colt. Also with heavier bullet loads in the shorter ACP cylinder the bullets can be crimped to prevent walking.

Larry Gibson

Nueces
07-23-2014, 06:06 PM
A straight path to a rimmed case for the Ruger 45 ACP cylinder is the Cowboy 45 Special case, available only from http://cowboy45specialbrass.blogspot.com

This is a custom case from Starline that is a 45 Colt case head and rim with the body length of the 45 ACP. No worries about trimming a longer case and running into thicker neck walls.

I have a new Ruger Flat Top dual cylinder 45. The ACP cylinder is installed and has six of these new cases in it, which fit perfectly if a little snuggly before sizing. Why? So I can roll crimp my 452423s and 452490s. The 45 Auto Rim in an old M-25 was my first big bore revolver.

It also appears to be a usable case in the 455s.

starnbar
07-23-2014, 06:16 PM
I was gonna chime in about trimming down the 45 long colt when they get worn out but you guys beat me to it anyway I like my ruger convertible and it has been shot many times over the past 30 years.

Dale53
07-24-2014, 08:51 PM
I had a few hundred .45 Cowboy Special cases left over from a prior project. They headspace in my .45 ACP cylinder perfectly. As previously stated, they are the answer to bullets needing a roll crimp in the .45 ACP cylinder. I have used a NOE correct version of the Lyman 454424 (250 gr Keith SWC) with excellent results.

One of these days I'm going to try the .45 Cowboy Specials with black powder (that's what they were really designed for) to see how it works in this revolver. I have shot black powder extensively in BPCR, muzzle loaders, and my Ruger Bisley .45 Colt but have yet to try it in the .45 Cowboy Special cases. One day...

Shoot center!
Dale53

FWIW
Dale53

Outpost75
07-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Auto Rim brass will not work in the Ruger Blackhawk convertible unless you machine cleara.ce for the thi ker ritm off the rear face of the cylinder.