PDA

View Full Version : Can the Henry Big Boy handle the Ruger only 45 colt loads?

tazman
07-23-2014, 08:45 AM
I was wondering if the Henry Big Boy rifle in 45 colt can handle the loads listed for the Ruger blackhawk?
They build a 44 mag version of it so it seems possible.
I checked the Henry site but couldn't find anything.

Ben
07-23-2014, 08:56 AM
I checked the Henry site but couldn't find anything.

If Henry had anything positive to say about reloads in their firearms, they are the only manufacturer that does.

Best not mention to a manufacturer that you are using reloaded ammo.

Ben

RobS
07-23-2014, 10:25 AM
I wondered this myself however with the Henrys, due to their design, need short nosed boolits to create a shorter COAL for the rifle to cycle properly. This was my concern and why I chose to go with a 92 action as they are more forgiving to a longer COAL and better suited me and my current mold selection I already used for my Ruger Bisley BH 45 Colt/Ruger SRH 454 Casull.

John Boy
07-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Ruger Blackhawk loading data ... http://rugerforum.net/reloading/35174-blackhawk-45-colt-loads.html
Call Henry and ask them - after all, they manufacture the rifle

tazman
07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
There is a separate listing for 45 colt---ruger, freedon amrms, and tc on the hodgdon powder data site. Obviously the named pistols can handle the higher charges or the powder manufacturer would not be comfortable listing such loads.
My only concern is can the rifle handle the pressure. Since the rifle is also chambered in 44mag I would assume it could handle heavier charges in 45 colt. The problem is I can't seem to find anyone who has experience with this.

bangerjim
07-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Most arms makers do NOT like reloads (especially cast!) for liability concerns. Go figure. 34K+ of us on here would argue that point!

My 92 style carbines shoot anything I stuff in them! Long, short, crimped any/all ways, etc. No problems. Don't have any Henry actions.

banger

tazman
07-23-2014, 12:12 PM
I just emailed Henry about the issue. I wonder what kind of response I will get.

huntrick64
07-23-2014, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't refer to the loads as "Ruger only" when talking to a firearms manufacturer. I would, however, ask them if the gun could handle the Buffalo Bore loads since they are a high pressure manufactured load. If they say yes, then load your own, but don't pass the Buffalo Bore pressures. They are getting 1325 fps from a 325 gr. LBT so there is some kind of high pressure going on there.

My dos-centavos

RobS
07-23-2014, 12:35 PM
huntrick64:
That's a good idea on skating around the reload issue by asking about manufactured 45+p loads however my thought is good luck getting one of those WFN/LFN LBT's to cycle through this action.

DeanWinchester
07-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Just ask if the rifle will handle a steady diet of Buffalo Bore ammo.

RobS
07-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Just ask if the rifle will handle a steady diet of Buffalo Bore ammo.

Bingo

lar45
07-23-2014, 01:45 PM
If they make the same rifle in 44 mag, then I would think that it should handle the Ruger only loads.

tazman
07-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Here is the response I got from Henry

Thank you for owning a Henry rifle.

I do not have any information on what loads are specific to other manufacturers' firearms.

In general, for Big Boys chambered for either .44 Magnum or .45LC, you can use any reputable brand of the standard and +P factory loads, with standard profile bullets (round-nose, flat-nose, and hollow-point), up to maximum projectile weight of 260-grains, and which conforms to SAAMI specs.

Regards,

Jeffrey Post
Customer Service

It sounds like to me he wants to avoid the question.

Here is a response from Henry from another web site.

" Thank you for your interest in Henry. The rate of twist is 1:38. This does not matter for the larger rounds as our Big boy rifles are not made to be able to safely or properly feed rounds with bullet weights over 270 gr. Our Big Boy's can handle all the +P pressure out there even Big Buffalo Bore ammunition as long as the rounds are not to big (over 270 gr.) to feed through the action."

DeanWinchester
07-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Can't blame the guy. People get sued for farting in the same room nowadays. It's ridiculous.

He told you it'd handle any reputable +P factory loads and Buffalo Bore is a very reputable and very much +P loads. I'd look into Buffalo Bore factory offerings and use those as my maximums.
They offer a 325g boolits @ 1,325 fps; 225g jacketed HP @ 1500 fps; 260g JHP @ 1450fps and a 300g jacketed flat nose @ 1325 fps

Honestly, if you need more than that, you should buy more gun.

tazman
07-23-2014, 03:05 PM
I am trying to add an extra 50 yards of range to the basic loads available from the local stores. I hadn't looked at the Buffalo Bore ammunition.
Those numbers are impressive and should do exactly what I was wanting.

DeanWinchester
07-23-2014, 03:09 PM
I am trying to add an extra 50 yards of range to the basic loads available from the local stores. I hadn't looked at the Buffalo Bore ammunition.
Those numbers are impressive and should do exactly what I was wanting.

If what you were wanting was to decimate the target AND YOUR WALLET, Buffalo Bore can do that for you. [smilie=l:

richhodg66
07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
I have one of the older, pre-safety Rossi 92s in .45 Colt. I never have tried anything exceeding Colt data in it. Even in my Blackhawks, they get unpleasant to shoot before I've exceeded Colt data and I kinda wonder if I'd ever need more pistol than that anyway.

A 325 bullet at 1325 FPS sounds like it would thrash a guy.

DougGuy
07-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Well, there is no +P for .45 Colt, not officially anyway. People equate the +P pressure rating with what Ruger says is safe in their medium frame revolvers like the New Model Flattop and the latest and greatest Vaquero, this would be 23,000psi. Since the charge hole dimensions and the web between charge holes is the same thickness for the .45 ACP as it is for the .45 Colt, then it is commonly "assumed" and accepted that the .45 Colt cylinder is indeed safe with the same pressure ceiling as the .45 ACP cylinder.

Buffalo Bore does load .45 Colt ammo that will be safe in the New Model medium frame Rugers, but they also load .45 Colt ammo that is NOT SAFE in these medium frame guns, and is only safe in the full sized large frame Vaquero, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Redhawk, and Super Redhawk models. Be sure of what you are ordering when you order from Buffalo Bore or when you use a comparative boolit that they use.

It is my understanding that the Big Boy in .45 Colt is indeed safe with Ruger Only pressures under the 30,000psi ceiling, as it is safe with .44 Magnum pressures which have a 36,000psi ceiling. Both have ample metal thickness to withstand max loads in their respective chamberings.

Edit: OP if you want to add 50yds to the range of the Big Boy, use a different caliber such as something down in the .35 or .375 caliber range, heavy boolits in the .45 Colt are 100yard boolits and that's about it. These are hard hitting brush guns that are best used with 100yd shots about max. Not to say that if you get a good one and you carefully work up your handloads for it that you can't take deer and or bear at 150yds but many of the boolits that are extremely effective on large game at close range just aren't that accurate out past 100yds, the .45 Colt is one of those. Yes Elmer Keith took 600yd shots with the .44 Magnum, and had they made .45 Colt chambered guns stout enough back then, I have no doubt that he wouldn't have blinked an eye about stretching the .45 out to the max as well and the .44 Magnum may not have ever been invented.

06ackley
07-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Well I shoot the Ruger loads out of mine and do not have a problem.It will handle the Buffalo Bore ammo so I just keep it in the common sense area and not try to make a 454 out of it.

tazman
07-23-2014, 06:29 PM
This is the kind of information I was hoping for. Thanks to all for responding.
As side note, the Henry Big Boy is not mine, but my neighbor's. I am reloading for him and am trying to determine the limits of the weapon. He wants to take it deer hunting and may need to take shots out to 200 yards. Personally, I think that may be a bit far unless I load it up to +P velocities.
Again, thanks for the responses.

DougGuy
07-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Haha almost funny.. I remember shooting my 94AE trapper with 200gr "flying Ashtrays" loaded to the gills over 2400, definitely a max load, and I was almost hitting the bottoms of the vertical concrete berms at the 200yd range. Even at +P+ velocities, you could see the boolits going downrange in a trajectory that reminded me more of turning on a garden hose. We are talking FEET of boolit drop at 200yds.

Not saying it can't be done, but if you and he were to set out a steel deer target at 200yds and see how hard it is to hit it in the kill zone with that Henry rifle, I think he would rethink the distance at which that rifle is effective, at least in that caliber, regardless of boolit style or weight.

tazman
07-23-2014, 07:03 PM
We haven't tried it beyond 100 yards yet. 150 may be the limit. Will try it and see.

DHC
07-23-2014, 07:37 PM
We haven't tried it beyond 100 yards yet. 150 may be the limit. Will try it and see.

Please report back what you find. The Henry is a great rifle and I like the 45 LC a lot. Seems very accurate at 100 yards (using 250gr RNFP cast bullets), but I'm *very* interested in learning your results in pushing the cartridge faster/further.

- Dan

DougGuy
07-23-2014, 08:07 PM
^^^Me too.. I also want a levergun in either .44 or .45 and I had settled on the Big Boy as my choice. I think I would like to know a little more about them because with pistol caliber leverguns, there seems to be a LOT of variables in land/groove diameter, and in chamber dimensions as well. I'd want one that would handle my 300gr Lee seated same as my Vaquero handles them.

tazman
07-23-2014, 08:33 PM
^^^Me too.. I also want a levergun in either .44 or .45 and I had settled on the Big Boy as my choice. I think I would like to know a little more about them because with pistol caliber leverguns, there seems to be a LOT of variables in land/groove diameter, and in chamber dimensions as well. I'd want one that would handle my 300gr Lee seated same as my Vaquero handles them.

The Henry web site says the rifle will not feed a boolit larger than 260 grains due to action constraints. Anything bigger is too long I guess. I doubt I will even be trying anything larger than 255.

DougGuy
07-23-2014, 08:37 PM
And I think I read somewhere that the carrier can be modified to handle a longer cartridge? The Lee C452-255-RF would be a good boolit for that gun I bet..

Flinchrock
07-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I am using a 280 rnfpgc from Accurate Molds with 22- H110 or 20-VV-N110 with no feeding or other issues, ymmv. And 20 N110 is pretty compressed.

I am getting ready to attempt working up a load with the same Boolit and 300 MP...

ghh3rd
07-23-2014, 10:27 PM
A 325 bullet at 1325 FPS sounds like it would thrash a guy.
I know that to be true for my 310 gr boolit at 1380 FPS from my Ruger SBH revolver... but it sure is fun!

RobS
07-23-2014, 11:36 PM

They will cycle on the short COAL crimp groove.

RobS
07-23-2014, 11:40 PM
I am using a 280 rnfpgc from Accurate Molds with 22- H110 or 20-VV-N110 with no feeding or other issues, ymmv. And 20 N110 is pretty compressed.

I am getting ready to attempt working up a load with the same Boolit and 300 MP...

This one???
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-280B-D.png

The short nose of .315"

In either the 44mag or 45 Colt Henry one will be limited to around .320" nose length from what I have seen.

Flinchrock
07-24-2014, 03:41 PM
This one???
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-280B-D.png

The short nose of .315"

In either the 44mag or 45 Colt Henry one will be limited to around .320" nose length from what I have seen.

That very one.

tazman
07-24-2014, 08:25 PM
I shot the Henry today at 3 distances just to see what the drop was. Biggest problem is I am limited to 100 yards where we were shooting. I shot 25yds, 50yds, and 100yds.
No appreciable wind. Sunny and about 78 degrees.
Rifle was rested on a folded blanket on the hood of my car. All shooting was with open sights.
Boolit for all tests was a Lee tl452-230-tc. Tumble lubed with White label X-lox.
They dropped from the mold at .454 and were not resized. Loaded to 1.615 OAL(crimped in the topmost lube groove). This is slightly over the recommended oal but they fed flawlessly.
I used mixed once fired range brass and just cleaned them in a tumbler and reloaded them. I wanted to keep the process as simple as I could for my friend to duplicate as he is a beginner at both reloading and casting.
Primers used were Winchester large pistol in all cases.
All loads were used directly from a manual except for the WSH load. All were listed as compatible/safe for use in any 45Colt revolver. The big surprise was the Titegroup load as it substantially exceeded the velocity listed in the manual. Of course the Henry barrel is 4 inches longer than the test barrel so that may have some effect.

Load data as follows.
Powder Charge weight ave velocity Extreme spread
Winchester Super Handicap 6.8 grains 1054 fps 26fps
Herco 9.5 grains 1235 fps 27fps
800X 9.0 grains 1152 fps 22fps
Titegroup 6.5 grains 1253fps 20fps

My best group was with the 800X load. I got clover leafs at 25yd 1.5 inch at 50yd and 3 inch at 100yd
My friend shot better with the Titegroup load. 1.5 at 25yd 2.5inch at 50yd and 4 inch at 100yd He fired 7 shot group for the 50yd group. His other groups were not so good and neither were mine.
I was impressed with the extreme spreads form all loads. I am used to pistol load having much higher extreme spreads than these.

I sighted in at 100yds. 50yd groups were about 3.5" high. 25yd groups were nearly dead on.
This matches pretty well with the Hornady ballistics charts. The charts suggest the drop at 150yd will be approx 12-13 inches. Drop at 200yd to be approx 27 inches. SO DougGuy was pretty close on his drop estimates.
Remaining energy at 200yd should be about 420ftlb. Roughly the same as a 357mag with a 158JHP at 100yd.
While it would be very doable to shoot deer at 200yd with this combination, I expect it should be limited to 150yd because of the drop.
I am certain the groups will be much better if my friend puts a scope of some kind on the rifle. I know my eyes limit what I can do and I have seen him shoot much better with a scoped rifle before this.
We fired 80 rounds during the testing without cleaning the barrel, and at the end of the day the barrel was spotless. Just a very few flakes of unburnt powder from the 800X load we finished with.
Felt recoil with the 1200+fps loads was noticeably more than factory loads but still quite pleasant and not a factor at all. Quite comfortable.

Discounting the cost of the brass, cost per round was about 6.75 cents per round as opposed to the $1.00plus per round he had been paying. The shooting we did today only cost about $5.50 as opposed to the $80 it would have been otherwise. My friend was suitably impressed with both the accuracy and cost.
Seems I have started another addict to our game.

9w1911
11-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Great info!! Im getting one in 44mag

cherokeetracker
12-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks to everyone here on the comments. I wanted to add this to the thread even though I am terribly late. The amount of steel around the 44 mag is greater than the 45 colt caliber. This is just one Part of the reason things get questioned. The other that was already stated was the fact that there really is no +P in 45 Colt. We have no sammi specs to such. But generally speaking the 45 colt can shoot the same velocities as the 44 mag with less pressures. But lets please not get into the 44 VS the 45 argument here. Just goning to offer some info.
I also want to offer some much better ammo than the Buffalo Bore and that is the Garrett ammo. It is 260 grain Lead Hard Cast going 1000 FPS from a 7 1/2 in barrel of a Colt SAA third Gen or a USFA pistol. and of course these can be used in Rugers and I am sure that these would be no problem in a rifle. I have shot many of these in my Colt SAA with no problems.
Two other offerings would be the 335 grain ( cast bullets only ) from Lead head bullets. I would suggest purchase first to try,,,, before casting.
I had some 360 grain bullets that will barely fit or cycle I should probably say, and they are a hoot to shoot. These heavier bullets will print higher and just may get you out to where a 150 yd shot or further is not so questionable. With the 335 I used H110 and with the 360 grain I used LIL Gun. 16 grains of the LILGun was the most accurate. It can be coaxed all the way to 19 grains. These are a milder solution than the Garrett offerings in the 365 grain Hammer Heads.

Another suggestion is to load a dummy round of one of these to see if it cycles in your gun before Loading Live. The last thing is to check the twist rate of the rifle you use. In 45 colt the best twist rate has been the 1-16 if the rifle is using something different then your results may well be different. Last if the 335 or the 360 will not cycle in your rifle then consider doing this. (Deep Seating) A 335 loaded with 20 grains of H110 or 10.5 of HS-6 Deep Seated to the beginning of the Ogive will give you the same results as the standard practice of loading to the crimp. With a slight roll crimp there is no bullet jump. COAL can range from 1.555 to 1.696 I was not able to check the velocities of these nor any of the other loads this summer when I was doing this. The dates that I was able to got to the range coincided with the windy days. On 2 occasions my chronograph was blown over. But I do know that the deep seated loads give about 900 to 1109 FPS in a 4 3/4 barrel pistol. Each pistol and rifle is going to give different results, in velocity and in bullets drop of course. But this was another alternative to just the same options we have been given before.

To those of you that are considering the 44 mag Let me tell you that the Garrett will NOT fit into a rifle. I had a Taylor Alaskan and the Buffalo Bore shot well in it. It was the 305 grain. Not sure about what the Henry will do.

Last thing is the stepped ramp on the rear sights make it easy for me to shoot some lighter loads and then change the ramp and go to the heavier loads when playing at the range. Hard cast, J bullets, and Powder coated have been sent down range with my lever guns and any caliber can be fun. Henry came out with the 41 mag and is coming out with a 327 soon. Options are open and the fun is endless. Great thread,,, Lots of good comments and info.

cherokeetracker
12-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Tazman you have now given me the desire to shoot the Rossi 45 colt rifle at 200 yds. I will have to test this with the 335 and 360 also.

CastingFool
12-25-2016, 02:22 PM
And I think I read somewhere that the carrier can be modified to handle a longer cartridge? The Lee C452-255-RF would be a good boolit for that gun I bet..

I have that mold, as well as the Lee 452-200-RF. Both molds have the crimp groove at the same distance from the nose of the boolit. So you cannot distinguish a 200 gr boolit from the 255 gr once it is seated and crimped. Still working on a load for the 255 rf.

farmbif
12-25-2016, 02:34 PM
the new henry steel seems just as strong as any marlin or winchester

GMW
12-26-2016, 01:11 AM
the new henry steel seems just as strong as any marlin or winchester
How about the brass frame Henry in 44mag? Would it be wiser to keep my loads to mid power? Maybe this question should be for Henry Arms.
I just watched a video on the new Henry offerings and Anthony emphatically stated that the brass Big boys are hardened brass and they will hold up to the heavy loads that the steel models will. Yepper!

duckdup
03-11-2018, 04:58 PM
If anyone is still interested in this old thread, I'll restart it by mentioning this:
Phil Mahin at Sierra Bullets posted info on the company blog in 2017. He is working with 300 grain bullet at +P loadings for his Henry 45 carbine. I called their tech line and spoke with Phil about his experiments. He said he is working a bit to the right of the published rifle loads in Sierra's Manual 5th edition.
I, too, got the stock email reply from Henry, "the 45 Colt will handle +P loads from any reputable manufacturer," and limit it to 260 grain for reliable feeding.
My own tests have been with the Missouri Bullet Co 250 grain hi-tech coated cast bullet, Brinell 18. Up to 1780-fps from a Henry 20-inch rifle (tested with the strap-on chrono) and no signs of stress on the Starline Brass. Also tinkering with 240JHC using Reloader 7...

trapper9260
03-11-2018, 08:53 PM
I just read this post.As for a idea of what the OP ask.I was thinking is ask the one of the manual you use that have about the data you want to use, if you can use the data from Ruger only in the Henry. They should know since they are the ones that come up with the data we use.

GMW
04-08-2018, 09:40 PM
I picked up a Henry steel case hardened in 45-70. I called Henry and the guy stated that any load a Marlin 1895 will handle, the henry will also. He told me to stay away from 458 mag pressures.

44Blam
04-09-2018, 12:06 AM
I've got an H012 Big Boy Steel in 44 Mag and I shoot near max W296 loads all the time.
I find it a really reasonable load.

Seeker
02-22-2019, 04:26 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I read a lot about coal restricting some from using heavy bullets in the Henry. Just want to say that my Henry Steel .45 colt loves and feeds flawlessly my cast Lee c452-300 boolits with a hefty load of both H110 and 2400.
These rounds measure 1.630 when crimped in the first groove from the bottom of the bullet.

Tackleberry41
02-23-2019, 03:48 PM
Not gonna get such an answer from a manufacturer. Way to much liability. They say yea, then someone tries 454 loads in one and it blows up, they will be looking for a lawyer.

jonp
02-23-2019, 04:42 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I read a lot about coal restricting some from using heavy bullets in the Henry. Just want to say that my Henry Steel .45 colt loves and feeds flawlessly my cast Lee c452-300 boolits with a hefty load of both H110 and 2400.
These rounds measure 1.630 when crimped in the first groove from the bottom of the bullet.

Thanks for bringing this back to light. I was thinking of a 45lc Henry as the Rossi I have is nice but I just don't trust it for heavy loads with the 300gr boolits and I have a Lee mould of that weight. From my looking at Henry's, ok..caressing them at the lgs, I feel very confident that they are built to take about whatever you can much like a Blackhawk.

DougGuy
02-23-2019, 04:56 PM

Ok I have been wondering this myself, this is great news!

Years ago I was going to buy a companion caliber levergun, the more I read, the more problems and issues I discovered with the different brands and models, what will feed, what does not like to feed, this is only one side of the coin but it's a critical side.

The other side, would be the chamber and groove dimensions (which vary a LOT between mfgr's different models). It's obvious that there is a decent amount freebore in the throat, *IF* you are sizing to .452" so if it feeds the loads in the photo I am attaching, this will be my choice when it comes time to click the buy now..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/0d3c189d-b085-4d95-a658-1f0f88b78255_zps3f37d14d.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/0d3c189d-b085-4d95-a658-1f0f88b78255_zps3f37d14d.jpg.html)

I still have yet to make a levergun purchase, I am still learning of the many things to avoid! I learned more about leverguns just lurking than I would ever have learned by buying one and then jumping through the hoops necessary to get it to work well.

Seeker
02-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Ok I have been wondering this myself, this is great news!

Years ago I was going to buy a companion caliber levergun, the more I read, the more problems and issues I discovered with the different brands and models, what will feed, what does not like to feed, this is only one side of the coin but it's a critical side.

The other side, would be the chamber and groove dimensions (which vary a LOT between mfgr's different models). It's obvious that there is a decent amount freebore in the throat, *IF* you are sizing to .452" so if it feeds the loads in the photo I am attaching, this will be my choice when it comes time to click the buy now..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/0d3c189d-b085-4d95-a658-1f0f88b78255_zps3f37d14d.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/0d3c189d-b085-4d95-a658-1f0f88b78255_zps3f37d14d.jpg.html)

I still have yet to make a levergun purchase, I am still learning of the many things to avoid! I learned more about leverguns just lurking than I would ever have learned by buying one and then jumping through the hoops necessary to get it to work well.

Those are indeed the ones. I tl mine in 60/40 2x. I shoot them in my Henry and my NM Blackhawk sized to .452, coal 1.630

Ramjet-SS
02-27-2019, 10:57 AM
I have loaded a 270 grain WFN on top of good dose of WW296 for years the gun will handle anything the 44 mag version will. I am using a longer bullet so deeper seating and run 22 grains of 296 with that 270 grain gas checked boolit. Hits like hammer is very accurate. Great rifles that Henry makes I have one if their Original rifles for mild loads that is an absolutely hoot to shoot and play around with. That rifle is only mild loads. But the Big Boy brass can take some heavy loaded 45 colt. Yes I segregate them so no mistakes can be made and I color code the rounds so they are not mixed up.

SvenLindquist
02-27-2019, 11:10 AM
I see there is a new model out that is all plated for anti rust. Available in 45, 44 and 357. Not cheap but great truck gun for sure !

cwlongshot
02-27-2019, 11:58 AM

My three 45COLT Marlins will not feed this bullet, until I seat UNDER 1.600!

This is seated to your OAL (Works well in my BLK Hawks) But will not in three different Marlins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/CWLONGSHOT/Temp%20stuff/sporting%20pics/Bullets/15D94C73-A17C-4069-AE91-1B8591FF02F1_zps6qulwh9o.jpeg

CW

Norske
03-01-2019, 10:21 AM
The "if it will handle a 44M, it will handle any 45LC load" has a problem. The problem is barrel wall thickness. Just look at the muzzles of Marlin 1894 rifles chambered for 357M, 44M, and 45LC. Pick each of them up and notice the difference in weight. Even the Marlin 1895 won't handle the same peak pressures in 45-70 as in 444M. The outside of the barrels is the same so the hole in the receiver is the same. But there is a difference in what's left if the hole is .452" instead of .429", so the total amount of steel is different. You're not comparing a 45 to a 44, you're comparing a 45 to a 43.

Hillbilly69
07-05-2023, 01:00 PM
I contacted Henry before i bought the Henry Big Boy X in 45 colt.
They told me that rifle can handle + P loads all day long, but.....
Using leads over 250 grains may have to be loaded single shot.
The action may not cycle the longer leads.
Yes.... Mine handles Underwoods 250 gr.+P ammo with no troubles.... 😁😁😁👍👍

indian joe
07-06-2023, 08:49 PM
Here is the response I got from Henry

Thank you for owning a Henry rifle.

I do not have any information on what loads are specific to other manufacturers' firearms.

In general, for Big Boys chambered for either .44 Magnum or .45LC, you can use any reputable brand of the standard and +P factory loads, with standard profile bullets (round-nose, flat-nose, and hollow-point), up to maximum projectile weight of 260-grains, and which conforms to SAAMI specs.

Regards,

Jeffrey Post
Customer Service

It sounds like to me he wants to avoid the question.

Here is a response from Henry from another web site.

" Thank you for your interest in Henry. The rate of twist is 1:38. This does not matter for the larger rounds as our Big boy rifles are not made to be able to safely or properly feed rounds with bullet weights over 270 gr. Our Big Boy's can handle all the +P pressure out there even Big Buffalo Bore ammunition as long as the rounds are not to big (over 270 gr.) to feed through the action."

I reckon thats a better response than you would get from most manufacturers !
He's tellin ya
1)it will take the +P pressure
2) twistrate is too slow for boolits over 270grain (they wont feed anyhow)

want more oomph? buy a 45/70

Jedman
07-06-2023, 09:01 PM
I have a Henry BB Steel in 45 Colt and it has a 1 - 16 twist I have personally measured it.
When I bought it new around 2016 the 44 mag BB had a 1-38 twist , don’t know if they still are or if that has changed.
Jedman

Frank V
07-07-2023, 10:59 AM
This is an old thread I know, however Buffalo Bore often states what firearms are suitable for their ammo & they offer heavy loads.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-11-2023, 10:34 PM
I have a Henry BB Steel in 45 Colt and it has a 1 - 16 twist I have personally measured it.
When I bought it new around 2016 the 44 mag BB had a 1-38 twist , don’t know if they still are or if that has changed.
Jedman

When Henry came out with the single shot guns, they made those with 44 mag barrel with twist rate of 1-20. At some point after that, Henry [quietly] switched all there 44 mag guns to 1-20 twist. I believe that was about 3 years ago, there is at least one thread here about it.

Hillbilly69
09-15-2023, 09:22 PM
I bought the Henry Big Boy x after i talked to them.
They said the big boy versions can handle any factory + P ammo.
Including Buffalo Bore, and Underwood.
But they may not cycle ammo over 265 grain.
As far as higher powered reloads????
I'm not a reloader so didn't ask on those.