PDA

View Full Version : Primer storage question

sniper
07-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Hey, all;
I'm not sure if this is the correct place. If not, please move it.
For years, I've been keeping my primers in a Cabelas (I think) "dry box", with one of the dehumidifier things in a metal box about the same size as a deck of playing cards. They are stored in my basement, which is about 72 degrees all year, but the humidity runs around 50%.

Instructions say when the crystals turn pink, time to recharge them by putting them in an oven at 300 degrees for 3 hours. I did that once, during the winter, and it seemed to work O.K.

My crystals have turned a yellowish color, and I put them on a hot rock in the sun all day in 99 degree temperature. I know 99 is nowhere near 300, but, no way am I going to fire up the oven for 3 hours. I figured a little might help, but...no change, crystals still yellow, is it time for a new dehumidifier?

Does it even matter, if I store the primers in the sealed water-repellent box?

Thanx

Outpost75
07-22-2014, 09:19 PM
I think your humidity in Utah is much less than we experience in the mid-Atlantic states. I just store my primers in manufacturer's packaging in a wooden cupboard with no dessicant and have for years withno trouble.

Old Caster
07-22-2014, 11:06 PM
I have some Alcan primers that still work and all my primers are stored in just the original boxes in the basement in the Midwest and we are known for high humidity here. They are not a problem.

MOcaster
07-22-2014, 11:22 PM
I have some Alcan primers that still work and all my primers are stored in just the original boxes in the basement in the Midwest and we are known for high humidity here. They are not a problem.

I'll second the humidity!

sniper
07-22-2014, 11:31 PM
O.K, guys; THAT's the info I was looking for! Appreciated very much!:bigsmyl2:

David2011
07-23-2014, 12:26 AM
I've used about 10,000 primers that were stored for 20+ years in garages on the edge of Galveston Bay with no climate control. Zero failures!

David

Stonecrusher
07-23-2014, 12:48 AM
I am still using primers from the late 1980's that were stored in an outside workshop until a couple of years ago. They all still go bang.

GoodOlBoy
07-23-2014, 01:08 AM
I store mine in plano "dry" plastic ammo cans. Never had an issue in east texas and our humidity runs about 4000% here in august.

GoodOlBoy

rpludwig
07-23-2014, 06:42 AM
mine are stacked in a wooden cabinet, separated from the powder, but never have been protected from cold/heat/humidity...50 years and not a problem...some on hand are 20 years old and all still good...same for powder in tightly sealed original containers, never an issue.

youngmman
07-23-2014, 07:22 AM
The only way i am aware of to deactivate primers and powder is to imerse them in oil. Even if they become wet then dried out both will be useable.

Here in So. Cal. a man was arrested after he spread unwanted reloading powder on his lawn thinking it would be good fertilizer because of the nitrates. The lawn was watered several times before the lawn guy came by to mow it. A spark from the lawnmower set off the powder and there was a fire. Gawd, I couldn't beleive it.

imashooter2
07-23-2014, 07:25 AM
No, your dehumidifier is fine. Silica gel does not wear out. It will last forever.

That said, I also store primers in the factory packaging on a shelf in my basement. I like to have a little buffer against shortages... No issues with primers that are sometimes decades old.

sniper
07-23-2014, 11:27 AM
I store mine in plano "dry" plastic ammo cans. Never had an issue in east texas and our humidity runs about 4000% here in august. GoodOlBoy

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks, guys!

Weaponologist
07-26-2014, 05:15 PM
I have kept Primers for more years than I really want to post because I don't what to get into an argument over it. However if there kept in a climate controlled area like you've done. you will never have a problem. Where I live Humidity is really bad But we run Heat Pumps year round with Ac in summer and Heat in the winter but what makes a Heat Pump so good is it dries the air and it does this very well. I have never had a problem with Powder or Primers..

zuke
07-26-2014, 09:53 PM
I store mine in 50 cal can's.I keep 1000 on hand to play with

sirgknight
07-27-2014, 03:45 PM
I store mine in 50 cal can's.I keep 1000 on hand to play with

yep +1 50 cal military ammo cans. been storing primers for 45 years without any problems in storage building in south Ga high humidity.

John Boy
07-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Does it even matter, if I store the primers in the sealed water-repellent box?
Sniper, keep doing what your doing and they will out last you and a generation or so of your estate

EDG
07-27-2014, 05:00 PM
I have Remington 7½ primers that I bought about 1970. They have had no special treatment and they still work fine.
They were just stored on a shelf in the closet.

45-70bpcr
07-27-2014, 05:39 PM
I once wet tumbled in ceramic media with a heavy dose of Palmolive for at least 2 hours. There were a few live primed cases in the mix. I set them on my bench and dried them for a couple days then ran them thru my rifle out of curiosity. To my surprise they all went off.

mold maker
07-27-2014, 07:14 PM
I have Winchester primers in wooden trays, that the paper sleeve fell apart from damp storage. They still produce the expected velocity. I'm pretty sure they were made in the "50s, since I got them in the early "60s, already in that condition.