PDA

View Full Version : Silhoutte Question

cummins05
07-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Ok folks i went to a shoot this weekend and they were shooting Silhoutte in fact it was the world championship IHMSA match this past weekend in OK. Now on to the question i would really like a set of silhouttes to shoot at here at my range for practice. I found the templates on the IHMSA website but they need to be scaled up and down and i have no way of doing that. I am wondering if anyone has a set of templates already scaled or do you by chance already have a set cut out in steel. I am interested in the half size targets because i want to shoot the feild pistol practical hunter short course for starters please let me know if you have anything that could help. Thank You

high standard 40
07-22-2014, 08:41 AM
I can provide the templates for you in a pdf file that are scaled correctly but the chicken target would be the only one you could print with a standard printer. A print shop could print the other three for you. Or I could dice up the templates to fit standard 8.5X11 paper then you could cut out the pieces and tape them together for a full size template. Just let me know which way you want them and I'll fix you up.

I have all of my personal templates cut out of 1/4" plywood.

upnorthwis
07-22-2014, 09:59 AM
This is what I did. Went to a match with a chunk of cardboard and a marker. Traced them after the day of shooting was over.

country gent
07-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Trace them with a sharp pencil then to scale down set a divider the amount needed and sharpen pencil and trace the line with the point pencil in keeping divider square to line. Cyt out of card board and you have a scaled down template. Heres the trick when you make card board targets first paint with matte clear lauquer a eavy coat and let dry. Then paint with template and flat black holding template down flat. With the first coat of paint the targets will act as shoot and sees leaving a white ring around bullet hole. Making shots easier to see. Use a piece of flat card board as big as what you will use for targets helps allieviate overspary issues.

Don McDowell
07-22-2014, 03:05 PM
try these guys http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/the-Silhouette-Targets/Categories

marshall623
07-23-2014, 10:08 PM
I'll have to try the clear lacquer trick

ubetcha
07-24-2014, 07:55 AM
I hope you enjoy shooting IHMSA silhouettes. I have been shooting them since 1984 and have enjoyed every minute. It seem that in todays time, every one wants to see how fast they can empty a mag and then wonder why the shots are all over the target. Just learn to make each shot count, take your time, and be a better handgun shooter. One can learn more about a given load and caliber by doing so.

Boz330
07-24-2014, 12:10 PM
If you have access to a copier and an overhead projector. You can make a copy of the silhouette on transparency clear plastic for copiers. Then project the image on a wall with paper or whatever and move the projector back or forward to get the size you want.

Bob

Aunegl
07-24-2014, 12:57 PM
I made a spotting board using the templates IHSMA used to send to the members decades ago. These may help you. One square inch = Big Bore.

Norbrat
07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
I have the profiles as AutoCad dxf files, which should be able to be printed by a plan printing service, or can be used by profile cutters to cut steel targets.

PM me if you are interested.