PDA

View Full Version : Help - K38 sights

redgum
07-22-2014, 07:26 AM
I have come across an old beat up S&W model 14 that has some butchered sights on it. Serial No. dates it as 1965 manufacture.
I am appealing for some help.....

I want to get it back to some sort of shooting condition, so I'm asking if anyone might have any spare bits floating around.
I need a new front sight, and at the least a rear sight blade, maybe the whole rear sight. Willing to trade or pay cash + postage. Any help would be appreciated.....

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/sights_zpsf4c762c9.jpg (http://s141.photobucket.com/user/redgum94/media/sights_zpsf4c762c9.jpg.html)

MtGun44
07-22-2014, 05:43 PM
The rear sight blade is available from Brownells. Unless you are really good/careful you will almost
certainly break the windage screw getting the rear blade off, so get a new one with nut.

They may have the front blade, too. Is it pinned in? If so, should be no big deal to swap.

Bill

dubber123
07-22-2014, 06:57 PM
It appears to me the former owner may have drilled out the front sight pin, it looks larger than normal. Thats not a big deal, you can just enlarge the hole in the replacement sight to match. My 1967 M14 is the most accurate of the 3 I have.

jmsj
07-22-2014, 07:40 PM
redgum,
I had a similar front sight issue a couple of years ago. I was in need of the front sight blade on a model 17 for a fellow. I looked for hours on the internet for the front sight blade with no luck. I couldn't even find a listing t S&W for the part. Luckily I saw that Nuhmrich had a cut off barrel from a K38. I was able to remove the sight blade from the ramp and install on the model 17. It looks like you might need the ramp and the blade?
I would give you the ramp from the barrel I got but the owner wanted the barrel stub after I was done (I guess I did charge him for it). It might be worth a shot to check out Nuhmrich or ebay and see if they have a cut off barrel.
As others have told you, the rear sight is fairly easy to come by.
Good luck, jmsj