PDA

View Full Version : No.4 Roller resusetatd by Goodsteel

lawboy
07-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Three years ago a close friend of mine brought over a few other rifles. A friend of his had passed and the widow was selling of the rifles. I immediately knew I had to buy one of them. It is a Remington Rolling Block No. 4 chambered in 22 Long. This is the rimfire action and these were only ever made as rimfires. It is the smallest of the roller actions and is a trim gun; a boy's rifle. The rifle had no provision for a rear sight. Apparently this one left Remington's factory with a tang sight, which had since been removed. Probably for storage but the widow would not have known that. The stop pin for the take down lever was missing.There was a chip out of the thumb piece on the rolling breach block, the muzzle was a mess, and the rifling was rough but visible all the way down. Otherwise, the rifle was complete. I bought it and let it sit for three years. In January, I finally got around to hunting down a gunsmith in Arizona who could put it right -- our very own Goodsteel! Tim was kind enough to fix the issues, including fabricating a custom rear sight and aging it to match the rifle. Pictured in one photo with the roller is a Winchester Model 01 boys' rifle, which is my next project. The Winchester needs a replacement trigger guard and buttplate but you would be surprised how difficult these parts are to find.
The No. 4 shoots very well. The rear sight is fantastic and Goodsteel regulated the sights perfectly. I will get many years enjoyment from this little rifle and I am very thankful to Goodsteel for helping me with this.

texassako
07-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Sweet looking No. 4. Glad you kept in the original caliber.

lawboy
07-22-2014, 02:23 AM
Sweet looking No. 4. Glad you kept in the original caliber.

Yes. It is in 22 Long. Shoots 22LR just fine and I am only putting standard velocity through it so I see no reason to go messing with things.

bigted
07-23-2014, 01:13 PM
neat old gun ... glad Goodsteel here helped you out with this old classic ... i too am glad you kept it with the origanal chamber and bore. also thanks for the pictures of this great old roller.

leadman
07-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Nice gun. I have been looking at them on the internet trying to determine a value for one of my deseased uncle's that my aunt wants to sell.
I ran across a site that had copies of the original tang sight for sale. Can't remember the name but coat was around $130 IIRC.

lawboy
07-29-2014, 02:05 PM
If you can remember the site, please pm me. I would spring for that at $130.

John Allen
07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Tim, it looks great. I have been looking for a No4 for awhile if you decide to sell it let me know.