PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 neck lube?

rpludwig
07-21-2014, 12:26 PM
using Imperial sizing wax for the first time...very pleased v. the old sticky stuff!

Question, do I need to lube inside of necks for sizing & belling with 45-70? Seems unnecessary, but my first go around w/45-70...I did on the first batch (q-tip method), and a small bit (few kernals) of powder tends to stick to the lube inside the case mouth...

Thx in advance guys...

Ron

NSB
07-21-2014, 12:34 PM
I shoot a lot of 45-70, and I have/had several guns in that caliber. I used to lube the inside of the case neck/seating area all the time. It does allow the expanding plug to come out of the case easier and you don't have to pull as hard on the press handle. After loading several thousand rounds I came to the conclusion that it wasn't doing anything for the case or loaded ammo. It was probably doing more to reduce wear (negligible) on the expander plug and make it easier for me to pull the handle. I quit lubing in this area last year and have yet to notice any difference in ammo results. I'm not 100% sure I'm correct here but I can't find any evidence to the contrary.

Wayne Smith
07-21-2014, 02:26 PM
I have loaded hundred's of rounds and never lubed the inside of the neck. It would be easy, but I never did.

rpludwig
07-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Thx for the replys guys, and confirming it is not necessary...I will proceed without lubing the necks.

NSB...off topic, I'm also in WNY (Victor)...any tips or luck finding pistol powder in the area?

ph4570
07-21-2014, 04:00 PM
I always lube my 45-70 and 38-55 case mouths prior to loading. Loading then goes smoother as a result on the Hornady LNL AP. I use a patch on a pistol rod with the patch sprayed with the homebrew alcohol/lanolin case lube.

EDG
07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
I lube inside the neck of all cases. Sooner or later you may have a case gall and stick brass on your expander.

It is so little effort to do it I can't imagine a good reason not to.

country gent
07-21-2014, 04:50 PM
If you want to lube inside of case necks use a nylon cleaning brush ad motor mica or a dry lube graphite or molyebneum. lightly dip brush in and twist into neck and out will deposit a very light coat. At one shop we worked we had ptfe in powder form to be mixed with oil to lube a few high stress rollers and such. Since ptfe is supposed to impregnate into the metals pores ( pretty much same as in slick 50) I always wondered if you could wipe id on a expander and work it in with a rubber leather pad and have a lubed expander.

NSB
07-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Thx for the replys guys, and confirming it is not necessary...I will proceed without lubing the necks.

NSB...off topic, I'm also in WNY (Victor)...any tips or luck finding pistol powder in the area?
Send me a PM on what powder(s) you're looking for.

Walstr
07-22-2014, 11:10 PM
I've been using Wire/Cable Pulling Lube [Qt. bottles & water soluable, from Home Depot, etc.] thinned with a little water & mixed thoroughly, as the lube wants to stay in globs. I put a little in the bottom of a Cool Whip/tupperware container & add a handful of 45LC [anyother small straight walled case] brass. Bang it around & ready for Full Length Resizing. Dump'em in a bucket of hot water with some soap as they are resized, then rinse several times & dry. [Guess I'm assuming you're doing this resizing in a single stage device.]

Epilog: This lube approach does not work reliably with .45-70 cases. seems to form a coating a bit too thick and gets trapped sometimes, forming a small dent in the case wall. I'll be doing another batch, but with a barely perceptable film & see how that approach goes. I want this to work, as it saves the step of cleaning oil/grease from the case.

Some say why bother de-greasing. I learned that a clean case wall grabs the chamber & provides friction during the ignition process, thus resucing the strain on the bolt lugs, etc. Tell us what pills you're feeding it? What's its name? Good luck with your new addiction.

rpludwig
07-23-2014, 06:24 AM
walstr...

normally I load progressive pistol, but running rifle (45-70) single stage for first time in many years...my process is imperial wax on my hands, roll the cases 5 at a time tween hands and toss in a container prior to resizing...takes 5 min/100, very little goes a long way and way better than the old sticky case lube on a pad.

next resizing, depriming in one step, then batch tumble w/corncob media 2 hrs, cases come out clean and degreased, primer pockets mostly clean as well. Inspect cases again, poke out any stuck media from primer pockets (about 10%).

Then on to expanding case mouths & priming...then powder drop & seating.

Pills are 350 gr Oregon Trail laser cast fpbb @ .459, to be adjusted after I slug the bore, but decent results so far, consistant on 3" gong @ 100 w/powder puff and factory loads, but haven't printed it yet.