PDA

View Full Version : 50-90 sharps reamer info needed

nekshot
07-21-2014, 11:03 AM
I have this project I want to complete after playing with it about 5 years. I would like to run a 50-90 reamer in approx 2.260 inches. or until bolt of rifle closes on the cartridge. The cartridge is a 300 rem ultra with the neck cut off and the rim turned down to fit mauser bolt face/claw. My question is this! Does a 50-90 sharps reamer have a sharp edge at end of cartridge(or the mouth of cartridge) so I can headspace off of it? Please tell me it is so!

BK7saum
07-21-2014, 01:57 PM
I would like to know this as well. Being a rimmed cartridge, I would hazard a guess that it does not have a sharp edge as it is not meant to headspace on the mouth. I could be and hope that I am wrong on this one, though.

Bump for an answer...

KCSO
07-21-2014, 04:02 PM
No is the quick answer but the exact profile depends on if it is a paper patch reamer or a standard reamer.

nekshot
07-21-2014, 05:27 PM
No is the quick answer but the exact profile depends on if it is a paper patch reamer or a standard reamer.

I get that no means no edge for cartridge rim. So my next best is to buy the reamer and make a edge on it, correct?

reed1911
07-22-2014, 09:44 AM
A 50-90 reamer will leave a shoulder between the end of the cartridge and the lead to the bore. Since you are going shorter than the 2.500" that a standard reamer will be you should not have to worry about the reamer cutting the rim portion of the barrel.

Based on the question I'm assuming you do not have a lathe to do this in and the barrel is a blank that has no chamber? Is that correct?
If so, I would really consider having a local gunsmith do the cut for you.

nekshot
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Well, when backed in a corner I tend to get creative. I made my own reamer based on 300 rem ultra specs and I am happpppy. It fires so I am outa here and the next time you here on me about this will be with how it shoots info. Thanks for your input!