PDA

View Full Version : What will you do when lead is banned?

Rattus58
01-23-2008, 04:18 AM
California... New York... where else will they try it. Now I can see the opportunity possibly with a patched roundball and a plated lead bullet, but you're not likely able to be casting your own. Conical shooters will now be shooting powerbelts and sabots. Are you ready to give up your lead?

Is there some other way to coat a lead bullet that would "protect" the environment?

Aloha... :cool:

01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
It has nothing to do with "protecting" the enviornment.

RugerFan
01-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Would a plated ball even be legal? Copper plated lead shot is not legal for hunting waterfowl. I guess it would depend on how the law was written. If the worst were to happen - all lead projectiles being banned, I would be buying stock in the Barnes Bullet Co (and using their products as well). Sure would take a lot of the fun out of shooting/hunting though.

piwo
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Is there some other way to coat a lead bullet that would "protect" the environment?

I believe the ice bullits could be the answer, but unfortunately not practical those in Hawaii Nei. :( :-D

Your question is actually a good one, but has no happy answer. A case can be made against any metal on enviromental arguments, and it's not going to fun fighting the same old battle over and over. It's fight or give up, so I'll fight it.......

ozbornm
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
It would add alot of cost too. Man copper prices have sored lately

Rattus58
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
It has nothing to do with "protecting" the enviornment.

I understand that... not much of anything has to do with the "environment"... but their convincing enoug supposedly smart people... Like Bush and McCain.... for global warmig... and any excuse to stop shooting and hunting for the left... how do I mold my own bullets out of bismouth fer example ?

Aloha.. :cool:

Rimfire
01-23-2008, 04:58 PM
I'll use lead and say I'm using "babbit"

JeffinNZ
01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Just remember that anything is legal if you don't get caught.

The whole thing is a crook of sh%t.

Underclocked
01-24-2008, 02:48 PM
"silver dollars" ? ;)

Rattus58
01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Hehe... Hi Ho Sliver.... and awaaaaaaaay we go.... :-D:-D

Copied this from another... and sooner than I expected even...

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3362

mtgrs737
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Lead is a naturally accouring element in the our enviroment. Lead does not desolve into the lakes, streams and rivers. Gentelmen this is purely hype, and back door gun control, nuff said. There will come a time when either we stand or fall on this issue and others like it. Are you willing to pay the price?

Murphy
01-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Interesting, I figure they'll come up with some chemical field test kit (like a drug test kit) to check your boolits for lead.

That being the case, I'll just buy a small bottle of model car paint 'MADE IN JAPAN' and go from there.

Murphy

Rattus58
01-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Interesting, I figure they'll come up with some chemical field test kit (like a drug test kit) to check your boolits for lead.

That being the case, I'll just buy a small bottle of model car paint 'MADE IN JAPAN' and go from there.

Murphy

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

hpdrifter
01-27-2008, 12:16 PM
seems like someone is dropping the ball. can't people file for injunctions and make them prove what they claim?

just a question.

yarro
02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
What you need is a lobby that pushes for exceptions in the laws for hunting and shooting with muzzleloading replicas.

-Yarro

fishhawk
02-13-2008, 01:19 PM
couldn't get a "excemption" for lead shot in muzzle loading shotguns for duck hunting no way they would for this either

madcaster
02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Do not fear,by then we can melt the National Currency-Pesoes!:drinks:

charger 1
02-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I'll do the same thing I did when they ban lead shot for waterfowl up here. I'll try the alternative. If/when I dont like it I'll put lead back in my gun, they can all kiss my hairy a$$ and thats that. I dont see a problem. Given that I dont hunt in the parking lot of the donut shop or beer store our law aint likely to catch me anyhoo.

blysmelter
02-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Stock up on lead, vote for the rigth candidate.

I Haines
02-14-2008, 03:08 AM
Would a plated ball even be legal?

Not in California. I'm not sure what muzzleloaders can use as a viable substitute to lead. Having to use a sabot/copper bullet will take all the fun out of it for me. :( Maybe they will start selling roundballs made of bismuth. IH

DaveD
03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Just remember that anything is legal if you don't get caught.

The whole thing is a crook of sh%t.

YUP![smilie=1:

homefront
03-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Talk to people in the construction trades - demolition in particular - and over a period of time you'll have a collection of shower pans, roof flashing, lead pipe, lead/oakum joints, etc. I have close to a ton now, and won't ever stop gathering it. That and wheel weights. Now I need a reliable/free source of tin....

OldBob
04-05-2008, 07:32 PM
As has been said, this has nothing to do with the environment, its just more "feel good" gummint bullspit. Lead is a naturally occuring element and if it so dang poisonous I expect most of us oughta be dead........... I expect I'll keep collecting and shooting regardless of what regulations are forced on us. One other thing occurs to me, don't look for "exceptions" for two reasons....one, you won't get them or they will be rescinded in a few years.... two, exceptions are a divide and conquer tactic, hang together or we shall all hang separately .......

PatMarlin
04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
All of us break the law in some way or another. You got to be dead not to, and they will continue to make the US citizen a criminal in one way or another.

They can continue to kiss my ass also.

There's one problem with killing a nation's economy with lobsided government regulations- they don't and won't have the funds to enforce them.

Old Ironsights
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
All of us break the law in some way or another. You got to be dead not to, and they will continue to make the US citizen a criminal in one way or another.

They can continue to kiss my ass also.

There's one problem with killing a nation's economy with lobsided government regulations- they don't and won't have the funds to enforce them.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one MAKES them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ... Create a nation of law-breakers, and then you cash in on the guilt." -- Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

Baron von Trollwhack
04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
With a bit of luck here I won't have to worry about this in the "Old North State". But I've started research work on perfecting BONDO encapsulated pure left wing liberal bullshi* boolets microstamped with specially purloined liberal SSNs.
For obvious reasons one type will be branded "hussain's little big bigot pills" , the other, "taking care of business in the oval office halls balls". BvT

PatMarlin
04-10-2008, 11:28 AM
The Fish and Game just ended salmon sport fishing on the entire west coast, and is working on Washington. I took the last 2 years off from fishing, and now I can't go.

Right now the same just slipped in new suction dredge mining regulations that looks like it will effectively limit our ability to do that as has been done in Ca for years.

The US Forestry has closed access roads by the thousands that have stopped our access to the our national forest.

Does anyone see a pattern developing here.. :roll:

ktw
04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Does anyone see a pattern developing here.. :roll:

The silting of streams and rivers via dams, dredging and road stream crossings leads to reduced stocks of salmon? :-D

-ktw

PatMarlin
04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Venturi suction dredging on our mountain streams does not silt, or harm fish in any way. AND it is not performed during spawing seasons.

The holes left by suction dredging leaves a sheltered enviroment that benefits spawing.

Please don't buy into the enviro wacko BS on suction dredging.

Rattus58
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
One should CHALLENGE environmentalist musings at EVERY turn. Most of there stuff cannot be supported by science or common sense.

Bad Water Bill
04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I will ask the next enviro wacko If lead is so toxic how is it that my grandfather could live to the age of 93 with NINE lead slugs in his body, one for over 80 years. Gee I bet he could have made it to 2k without the lead. BWB:castmine:

PatMarlin
04-11-2008, 01:53 AM
One enviro wacko benefit to dredging is we remove evil lead from the stream bed, but then of course it fly's right outta my gun again.. :mrgreen:

northmn
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
The Mn Dept of Health just pulled donated venison off the food shelves because someone must hav ebit the bullet literally. The animals are considerated contaminated. Guess my days are limited from spitting out the bird shot I bit growing up eating shot game.

Noerthmn

KCSO
04-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Bismuth round balls wont work. I tried a few and thier cost was about $1.00 each and when they hit they don't expand they shatter.

felix
04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Whoever has bismuth or a source, please let me know. ... felix

dnepr
04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
The Mn Dept of Health just pulled donated venison off the food shelves because someone must hav ebit the bullet literally. The animals are considerated contaminated. Guess my days are limited from spitting out the bird shot I bit growing up eating shot game.

Noerthmn
I should be dead already then , between bird shot , casting in confined spaces before I new better ,and as a kid I though it was neat to chew on pellet gun pellets.
I think that this whole lead thing is blown way out of shape. Some people have suggested that this is a roundabout way of attacking hunting. I thought that this a little far fetched at first but maybe not. I watch a show on one of the founders of PETA last night ( know thy enemy ) , wow what a completely unreasonable individual. You would have as much chance of having a reasonable conversation with this woman as a suicide bomber with his finger on the detonator. Even her associates seem to fear her , even if the person has the same agenda as her and is working towards the same goal you better be producing result or she has no use for you and will dispose of you like yesterdays newspaper. These people define fanatic, but yet they are offended when they end up on the F.B.I. watch list.
OK time for me to get off the soap box or I am going to start to sound like one of them.

ktw
04-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Please don't buy into the enviro wacko BS on suction dredging.

I am not the one you have to convince. The local regulatory authorities are. I suspect that might take something more than just calling them derogatory names. ;-)

-ktw

PatMarlin
04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
I am not the one you have to convince. The local regulatory authorities are. I suspect that might take something more than just calling them derogatory names. ;-)

-ktw

Not quite sure where you are coming from ktw by the nature of your comments, but I assure you the group I'm associated with is constantly fighting them with all legal means available to us.

floodgate
04-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Felix:

Google Rotometals and search for bismuth. Was about $15 / lb. for 99.9%; tin was about $12 - this was back in February, as I recall. I've been stalled on my "Bi Project" due to the advent of Spring and the resultant yard and garden work; hope to get back to it this summer.

floodgate

floodgate

ktw
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Not quite sure where you are coming from ktw by the nature of your comments...

I am a forester who manages a little over a half million acres of privately owned timberland. We have water quality issues related to public motorized vehicle use (despite the fact that is not legal to operate them on private property without permission from the landowner). I also block/gate woods roads to limit public motorized access.

I have no personal experience with dredging and its effect on water quality. As a land manager who does have experience with various abuses of public resources due to both private and public activities I can often sympathize with our public land managers out west.

We as professional land managers are not blameless in all of this. We built the roads and stream crossings in the first place and lot of bad things have happened to our environment in the past due to our mining, logging and agricultural activities. However, now that we have a better understanding of the problems and are attempting to reduce the negative impact of our activities on the environment we keep hearing the argument "This is the way we've always done it, this is the way I will always do it and your attempt to change my behaviour is an unconstitutional infringement of my rights as an American!". There may some truth in that, but don't go whining about how the fishing ain't what it used to be in the same breath.

I have lived/worked in California, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska. While working in Idaho many years ago, I recall a private parcel just outside of town that was all hillside. Every time it rained the landowner would head out with his bulldozer and start pushing some dirt around and let the rain take it away. Over the years he was creating a flat buildable parcel out of a steep slope. All of that dirt ended up a couple hundred yards away in the local stream. These kind of activities, and others, need to stop.

If your method of dredging is completely benign with respect to water quality (I am willing to take your word for it that it is) I wish you success in overturning the restrictions.

-ktw

Naphtali
04-13-2008, 12:38 PM
The NRA is the only national organization competent to contest unacceptable firearms' political decisions and legislation. Those who are not members depend upon those who are to protect their civil rights.

Those who are not members are emulating "The Grasshopper" of the fable.

Those who tell you they are not members because they do not care for some of the political positions of the NRA are, in my opinion, fibbing to themselves. There is no such entity as a perfect one. They must be forced to ask themselves: Are the tendencies of the NRA of benefit? If they are not, I would be more than slightly confused were they to own a firearm. Were they to agree, there is no compelling reason to not join -- save poverty.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Life Member, you betcha!

KCSO
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
I have been an annual member of the NRA since 1967. I thought about going to a life membership but hey THEY are getting the best of the deal this way.

PatMarlin
05-06-2008, 11:13 PM
The new owner of the local tire store told me yesterday he couldn't sell anymore lead, unless it went to a lic. hazmat dood. I think it's a bunch of crap.

Old Ironsights
05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
The new owner of the local tire store told me yesterday he couldn't sell anymore lead, unless it went to a lic. hazmat dood. I think it's a bunch of crap.

Unless there is an Ordnance or other Law on the books, he's lying through his teeth.

That's an easy phonecall to your local Solid Waste office to find out. Get a Code Title and Paragraph Citation.

No Code Citation, no Law.

Ranch Dog
05-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm simply going to keep shooting lead. This ole' country can do what ever it wants, I'm fed up to the gils, I'm going to do what I want and let them worry about it.

PatMarlin
05-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Ya- he's lying.

PatMarlin
05-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm simply going to keep shooting lead. This ole' country can do what ever it wants, I'm fed up to the gils, I'm going to do what I want and let them worry about it.

I agree 100% with the Dog.. :drinks:

Old Ironsights
05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
A actually solicit my WW buckets by calling myself a "Recycler". It's not like I have to have a license to call myself that - and it is, in fact, true. ;)

alleyyooper
05-08-2008, 09:41 AM
So does the banning of lead stop the inporting from China?
Sorry just had to post that since it was on the news this morning that dentist are getting bridges made in China and they are full of lead.
I now trust my dentist even less.

:-P Al

Rattus58
05-14-2008, 09:56 PM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Old Ironsights
05-14-2008, 10:16 PM
So does the banning of lead stop the inporting from China?
Sorry just had to post that since it was on the news this morning that dentist are getting bridges made in China and they are full of lead.
I now trust my dentist even less.

:-P Al

Meh. He's been stuffing your head full of MERCURY for years and all of a sudden you're worried about a little lead? Jeez. :roll: :mrgreen:

steif
05-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi,
How about tin? I've never cast with pure tin so what does it do?
I just read bout pewter scrap and it is mostly tin, I know the cost is a issue but if they outlaw lead for hunting how about just using the pewter or pure tin?
I've gotta try to cast some into boolits and see what happens...lol...

Beaverhunter2
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
The NRA is ...

Naphtali,

You know what my biggest beef is with the NRA, that once every week or two they spent a portion of my membership dues asking me to send them more money. Big flashy flyers, surveys of the "converted", etc, etc, ad nauseum.

I even called them and sent them letters asking them to not waste my dues sending me solicitations for more money. If they really needed more $- raise the dues or do a once-per-year fund raising campaign. It didn't work. They kept sending them. Finally, I called and sent a registered letter telling them if I received another piece of NRA junk mail, I would not renew my membership for a year. If they can make two more months, I'll finally be able to sign up again. I do think I finally got them to stop calling for donations, too. I'm on the Do-not-call list and never, I repeat never buy or donate to phone solicitations.

I realize these tactics probably net out in the end- just not from me. I hate groups that harass people to send them donations. And yes- I consider repeated junk mailings harassment. It also drove me crazy that they would take so much of my dues and spend it asking me to give more. If they just stopped the mailings and the phone calls, they would have the money they need!

Off my soapbox.

John

floodgate
06-04-2008, 04:31 PM
naphtali:

Actually, the cost of most of those solicitations does NOT come out of your dues - except for some administrative costs to let and supervise the direct mail contracts. The contracted direct mail firms finance the mailings, and recoup their costs by retaining 40% to 60% of the "take". So, it is your donations that are really being wasted. To me, that is even more infuriating. My response was, knock off the direct mailings, just send me a statement once a year with a return envelope, and I'll send in the equivalent of one year's dues (having been a Life Member since about 1970) direct to NRA. That cut down the flow a LITTLE bit, for a LITTLE while.

floodgate

shotguneddy
06-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Lead is a natural occurring substance, as in a basic element. It's not about the environment, it's about making guns useless.

redneckdan
06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
grandfather could live to the age of 93 with NINE lead slugs in his body, one for over 80 years.

musta been a rough neighboorhood as a kid eh?:-D

Bloodman14
09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
somewhere on this forum, I posted a link to a lead article. Search my threads/posts.

Lead Fred
09-20-2009, 08:13 PM
when lead bullets are outlawed, only outlaws will be making lead bullets

Guess I better find me a 45-70 mould quick