PDA

View Full Version : Gel finger shooting gloves? Anyone know of any?

Rompin Ruger
07-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Howdy,

Been shooting some heavier boolits in my 45 Colt Ruger NMBH... while the newer grip frame now allows me to get my pinky on the grip, I keep thumpin the living snot outa my middle finger big knuckle behind the trigger guard!

After a few rounds, I find myself pulling my shots!

My buddy once found a glove that had the middle finger extended (unlike the PAST I have) and it had gel pads on the knuckles, but it has since gone the way of the do-do bird.

Anyone familiar with something like this?

I've used the Past, still have one but it exposes the middle finger knuckle. I tried a thin leather glove and it helped, but soon my knuckle was so bruised, it wasn't fun anymore.

I'm not even shooting full house Ruger loads!

I could use some suggestions if anyone knows of those shooting gloves with extended middle finger and gel pacs over the knuckle!

The many bike riding gloves, baseball, golf are not what I need. I specifically want the gel impact pac over the knuckle area of my right shooting hand, middle finger.

I made my own grips for the NMBH and it takes up the recoil, but my middle finger is taking the worst of it.

Halp!

Thanks!

Jeff H
07-21-2014, 12:40 AM
I don't know of the gloves you're looking for but my imagination is trying to convince me that such a glove would make things that much more crowded between the grip and trigger guard. Have you tried a firmer grip on the gun? I know it sounds silly because so many people have said over the years not to grip a single action "too tightly" but they never quantify just how tightly or loosely you really should hold it.

I have always gotten my best accuracy and least abuse with a very firm grip. Still subjective, but much tighter than I believed when I believed what was written in some magazines. My OM Super Blackhawk had a Ruger Old Army grip frame on it because I did not get along with the Super's original grip frame. Last week, I ran across a stack of chronograph reports and noticed I was shooting 300 grain .44s at 1400 fps - and I was using that grip frame. I just made sure I was hanging on when I let one go. They shot higher than the sights would accommodate but grouped well and I never got hurt shooting them.

I probably have smaller hands than you too though, so I can't say this will definitely work for you, but if you're using a relaxed grip on the grip frame, there's a good chance you'll get a knuckle busted. I know big guys with fingers that look like beer brats who do the same and they get along with the smaller grip without gloves.

Rompin Ruger
07-21-2014, 07:45 AM
JEff, that is a very thoughtful post and well written.

I THINK I grip fairly well...even put a small palm swell in my own made grips... just not much distance between the trigger guard and my knuckle.. even the Bisley grip raps most of us...and I have short fingers, toes, nose and ... well, anyway... but a very broad palm...so fingers get pushed out front. My knuckles is directly behind the trigger guard.

Yes, if it had gel pads, it would fill that space, but it raps me anyway, so why not with something there to absorb the smack? The Past is just not cutting it and the leather gloves were better, but I don't need padding in the palm...I need it in that middle finger!

That chap who told me is now in AK for a week, so I thought I'd check here...thanks for your thoughts!!

Norbrat
07-21-2014, 08:02 AM
I fixed this problem on a Super Blackhawk by fitting a Pachmyer grip.

Rompin Ruger
07-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Yes, that might work. I never had the problem with my super blackhawk in .44...

I'm told (and believe) there is more space between the grip frame and trigger guard on the SBH.

but this is the New Model Black Hawk. 2 of them, actually!

I was deceived by the longer grip frame...allowing me to get my pinky on the plow handle... alas, not quite as I thought!

But then that was then, this is now. Different gun and caliber...but thanks for your insights!

Jeff H
07-21-2014, 10:25 AM
.......I'm told (and believe) there is more space between the grip frame and trigger guard on the SBH........

I believe so too, but that was part of why I couldn't get along with the SBH or Bisley - they were so big that I got lost one them - couldn't seem to get a consistent grip from one time to the next and it was as if my zero shifted between uses. I guess I was always gripping it in a different spot.

I know the smaller grips allow me to wrap my fingers (even though they are short) far enough around the grip so that the part between my knuckles is what's behind the trigger guard.

The Pachmeyer will probably also raise the center-line of the bore some. Just something to keep in mind, but it may be a good trade for not getting your knuckle busted. I have an aversion to rubber grips on a single-action, but I would probably not be so picky if it prevented shooting from being unnecessarily painful.

Rompin Ruger
07-21-2014, 11:12 AM
I only tried other's Pachy grips on the SBA... never on the NMBH... but I took WEEKs to shape and fit grips (one in picture is Myrtle) with a palm swell to fit my fat palm...

I'd never get my fingers far enough around to have my knuckles off center...nor do I want to...

Somewhere, long ago in the dark recesses of memory, some crack pistol shot taught me that having the knuckles lined up with the bore, ensures straight line barrel flip for repeatable location... dunno...hard to break old habits at this age!

For me, those hard rubber grips sanded my hand and rocked my wrist cause the gun couldn't do what a SA is designed to do...now on my Redhawk, no problem...