PDA

View Full Version : Another Loading Manual? Really?

TXGunNut
07-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Most Certainly! :bigsmyl2:
Scored Hodgdon's 2014 Annual yesterday @ Cabelas, mainly to read about the new CFE powders but quite honestly partly because I can't recall adding to my loading manual library recently. I have a long ways to go if I want to catch up with some of you and this is my first Hodgdon annual manual. Hard to imagine having too many manuals.

35 shooter
07-20-2014, 08:56 PM
It seems that sooner or later something from each manual always seems to come in handy, if for nothing but just cross reference. Lee's 2nd edition has really come in handy for me since i picked it up seems like not so long ago. Nope, seems you never can have too many.

07-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Accurate's latest printed manual, for me.

Mk42gunner
07-20-2014, 09:58 PM
About time for me to get a new one too. I think the Lee 2nd ed. is my newest; I just looked at it and it is copyrighted 2003 latest reprint date in mine is 2007.

I know there have been quite a few new powders brought to market in the last ten years or so, it would be nice to have a manual that gives some idea as to their use.

Robert

TXGunNut
07-20-2014, 10:46 PM
I picked up an Accurate (Western Powders) brochure awhile back, pretty interested in some of the products in there. Some good load info as well. Just don't see many of their products around here. My Lee manual is a fairly recent addition as well. Quite different from the mainstream, wondered how I'd done so long without it. I have lots of issues with my Lyman manuals but at the same time I'll always consult them.

warboar_21
07-21-2014, 05:57 PM
I was in a little hardware store a few weeks ago and was looking at what reloading supplies they had. I saw a blue leather bound book and said it can't be so. The guy pulls it off the shelf and it was like from the movies when they find an old book. It was covered in dust to the point you couldn't hardly read it. It was the first Swift manual that has been out of print for a few years. No price listed so he said $20.00 and I handed him an Andrew Jackson and out the door I went.

TXGunNut
07-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Congrats on your Indiana Jones moment!

07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
I had an Indiana Jones moment, too. Both volumes of Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" for $10.

TXGunNut
07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
I had an Indiana Jones moment, too. Both volumes of Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" for $10.

Congrats! Guess I need to wear my old Fedora when prowling old gunshops and garage sales.
A friend had those manuals, wish I knew what happened to them when he died. He let me read a few of the artricles and it was a real treat. Some info is a bit dated but other info therein is timeless.

dragon813gt
07-22-2014, 09:52 PM
I've been buying old manuals when they come up on Amazon. Most of them have the same load data over the years. You don't get info for old cartridges in the newer manuals.