PDA

View Full Version : how am I doing get my cast gear together

corey012778
01-23-2008, 12:05 AM
I am getting into this wonderful hobby. and I start get the stuff together. I have a few more things on the way, I just wanna see what yall think.

4 qt cast iron dutch oven
2 burner camping stove (got a good deal on it)
5 qt carbon steel dutch oven
over 100 lbs of WW
3 muffin pans

the stuff I have so far
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/corey012778/HPIM0055.jpg

would this work

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/corey012778/HPIM0056.jpg

Razor
01-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Looks like you got it pretty well covered, but...
How 'bout a ladle for spooning the lead from the pot.??
I'd be nervous about trying to pour by hand holding that 40 or 50 lb pot...
Are them aluminum or steel muffin pans ??
Steel will hold up better.
look around for old cast iron cornbread pans of different shapes..you can pour differentalloys (ww, pure lead, babbit etc) into different shapes.. Helps to keep 'em straight..
one fella suggested an alphabet punch set to stamp the ingots..I'm gonna try that.
I get about 65 to 70 lbs of "cakes" from 100 lbs of WW...'bout 1/3 waste...
HTH

Razor

corey012778
01-23-2008, 01:20 AM
I have a ladle but I do not like it for some reason. I got a little time, the weather is not giving me a break to get out and start working on it. I don't see it changing any time soon. I have not even had a chance to get to the range. I am going here in a week or so and order the mold I am going to use when I do it I will order a ladle.

on the pans, a single pan has a good bit of weight. over all, the packaging did not say.

I am a cook and not a baker. lol

I think they are steel, I know there is a little work on them before I do anything anyway.

I was reading. a few post.
put them in the rain to rust? did I read that right?

Buckshot
01-23-2008, 03:28 AM
................Well dude it looks like you're ready to begin domesticating some wheel weights and stuff, or you're gonna be knee deep in cupcakes :-) I have the exact same skimmer, kewl! Off to a fine start.

...............Buckshot

Wayne Smith
01-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, put them in the rain to get a skim of rust. If they are tinned you will have to melt the tin off first. Otherwise you will beat them to death getting the first pieces out. Don't ask me how I know. Still have weird bottoms on some of mine.

crabo
01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Need more lead!

corey012778
01-23-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks for the info. I am waiting for a call from a friend about some scraps. I am going to have to get on him again. they are calling for more snow and rain starting tomarrow. I may go on and put them outside.

mroliver77
01-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Corey you want a Lyman or better yet a rowel ladel and not a lee. The Lee is basically a spoon with a little pouring trough on it. The Lyman is cheap and works well. J I used a little WD40 ON MY MUFFIN PANS TO GET GOING. jUST A VEY THIN COATING NOW. #$%^&*( caps lock! J

corey012778
01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
I think the lyman is going to be the one I am going to order. I did not enlarge any of the pics on the lee's and it look small in the thumbnails and I also read some comments on a few other sites on them.

Wayne Smith
01-24-2008, 12:00 PM
If I bought another ladel today it would be the RCBS. That flat fin on the bottom would be nice to scrape the slag to the side of the pot.