PDA

View Full Version : Data and how you store it

wonderwolf
01-22-2008, 09:23 PM
The load book is one of the most important pieces of reloading Equipment on the workbench. But for those of us who have several guns we load for along with various loads for each gun how do we keep things straight? Some reload books have room for notes I know but most serious shooters have a notebook of their own with refined information plotted along with notes .

I am using 1 small spiral bound note book for all my pistol data, I've sectioned off about 5 pages each for bullet weights in all the calibers but I don't like how its working out so far. I've also tried those index card rolladex things but those only let you look at one load at a time. I've also started a 3rd (4th if you count the chrono note book) load data book which has more notes and ideas/ die designs and possible loads. as well as loads I'm told to try say at a gun show or something or talking to somebody. Along with useful information like inventory of powder and primers (this notebook goes to gun shows with me)

I know some guys use computer programs but I just can't warm up to that I like the physical in hand data...and not a print off. I trust my handwriting and its so easy to slip up while typing.

What do you guys use, methods? Seperate book for rifle pistol? do you sort by bullet weights or what? I really don't want 50 notebooks around with info in them just yet. I like neat and organized.

winchester243
01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I use this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=203800&t=11082005

Can rip out the pages and put them in a 3 ring binder and organize by caliber or get a book for each caliber and keep them all in a 3-ring binder.

shooter93
01-22-2008, 10:06 PM
I use 3x5 cards...laminated in plastic that can be lifted out of the box if you want to compare loads. I'm pretty much a one gun one load guy now though. I don't need 10 different loads for 50 different guns.

WKAYE
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
I write all my data on my test targets. I've got stacks and stacks of them. Crude but effective. [smilie=1:

Orygun
01-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I too like the 3X5 cards in a simple card file box indexed by caliber. Takes up little space, easy to find favorite loads, easy to spot in your reloading room, portable, etc.

I made up a Word .doc to print blank cards whenever needed, though I have enough printed now to probably last the rest of my life. :)

This works for me, modify to your own likes;

Caliber .

ozbornm
01-23-2008, 11:05 AM
I made a spreadsheet in Xcell I'll post it up later.

trickyasafox
01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
I made a bound book at my old work study job. 10 pages per caliber of plain, blank paper. I sketch and make notes on the pages. Unfortunately, I thought putting in 8 or 9 dividers would give me enough room to grow, alas this was not the case, and I have to put another one together.

StrawHat
01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
When I first started loading in the early 70's I decided on a three ring binder to hold all the loads I would work up for each firearm.

Eventually I learned that cartridge guns are very much like muzzleloaders, one gun - one load.

I still use a three ring binder, same one I started with but instead of pages and pages of loads for each gun I find that I need one or three pages per gun.

Once I find a load I like, I quit looking for others. I do keep track of the not chosen loads so if I get a new gun in thae same chambering, I have a starting place.

Good luck

wonderwolf
01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I made a bound book at my old work study job. 10 pages per caliber of plain, blank paper. I sketch and make notes on the pages. Unfortunately, I thought putting in 8 or 9 dividers would give me enough room to grow, alas this was not the case, and I have to put another one together.

Once I find a load I like, I quit looking for others. I do keep track of the not chosen loads so if I get a new gun in thae same chambering, I have a starting place.

Good luck

I keep track of ALL the loads I've ever tried and notes tell me why I should or should not stick with them. Rifles are more picky than the handguns and revolvers. The little index card holder worked for a while and allowed me to take out cards and resort them but I either need to find a better bigger binder for the index cards or switch to a notebook. I like to really organize my data...So if I want to give a friend some suggested loads using a 200gr wadcutter in .44spl I don't have to wade through all the data with 200gr wadcutters in .44magnum or 250gr keith styles in .44spl.

The way I organize really is

Rifle or pistol
Caliber (small to large)
bullet weight (small to large)
Powder type (unique, 2400, win 231 etc)
Powder charge (small to large)

I remember reading a while back about some card system one of the writers of the publication I was reading came up with in which they used cards like index cards but they had holes punched in all of them and if you wanted a certain parameter you simply found the right hole and inserted a peg and it selected all of those cards with those parameters.

Out of curiousity is there a free online load data book one can download utilize? I'm beating a dead horse here I know but I'm just looking to improve and simplify what I have.

ktw
01-23-2008, 04:32 PM
I do it on the computer.

I have a spreadsheet which contains all load data and does the chronograph calculations/summaries.

I have a word document for each rifle. I copy/paste load data into it from the spreadsheet and type up all my notes for that rifle here. I print them out periodically for use at the loading bench and take notes all over them in pencil as things come to mind. Periodically I will convert all those handwritten notes into text in the electronic document and make another printout.

-ktw

montana_charlie
01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a computer folder titled Load Notes. Inside are a group of Notepad files, with one for each batch of data I want to keep.

One file, titled "550 gr. PGT", is a record of all of the sessions in which I fired this bullet in my 45/90. At the bottom of the file is a list of the data I keep, and I just copy it and paste a new section up above for each new session.

That 'pasted' list looks like this after I have inserted a few numbers that correspond with the latest batch of rounds loaded up. The rest will be filled in after the session is complete.
At that time (under Group 1: ), I will fully describe the results of shooting that bullet...on that day...with that load...under the listed conditions. It's easy to compare the results with earlier sessions, as they are just higher up in the file.

I will finish by noting any changes I want to incorporate in the next loading of this bullet...and will read those notes before starting the next reloading session.

Session XX: Date XX
Wind XX - Temperature XX - Clear/Cloudy - Humidity XX

Cases: 'New set' (stretched, fired, trimmed to 2.407")
Seating: .680"
Compres'n: .250"
Alloy: 30-1
Lube: SPG
Primer: CCI BR-2
Sight: 33 points Elevation , Windage -0-
Range: 100 yards
Target: 1000 Yard (reduced)
Insert: Smith's #4 Lollipop

Charge: 80 grains - 14 rounds (13 + 1 fouler) bullets weight matched
.................................................. .......................

Group 1: Rested on (Null Point/Muzzle)

Chrony: Lo-, Hi-, Av-, ES-, SD-

quickshot
01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I use a small spiral notebook to write down all my notes at the range and then I transfer them to the new Lee shooter computer program when I get home. I enter the date/caliber/bullet weight/style/brand/powder/primer/charge/quantity and then notes. By entering the information twice to help me remember what loads work and what don't. works for me.

Wicky
01-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I used to use a Lyman reloaders log, I then graduated to excel spreadsheets - 1 sheet per cartridge. I now use Access as I can input through a main screen and carry out searches more easily. Took a bit of setting up but works fine now. If anyones interested I can try to post it for you.
I usually write all my data on my targets at the range and copy it into the database when I get home.

miestro_jerry
01-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Wicky,

Could you post or email a copy of your Excel spread sheet?

Thanks,

Jerry

Wicky
01-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Yep can do - I'll try to post first - may be a bit later in the day - I'm at work!

Wicky
01-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Jerry, I owe you an apology. I have searched my computer when I went home for lunch and came up empty. I know I would not have deleted it - I keep everything. I will have another look tonight and if not I'll redo one for you!:oops:

Thin Man
01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I use a 3-ring binder with sections titled: rifle, revolver, auto pistol and muzzle loader. Within each section I start with the smallest bore diameter and work toward the largest. For similar bores (.30 rifle) I will start with the smaller case capacity calibers, working toward the largest. Each page is based on one specific firearm, based on the belief that all firearms in the same caliber will have their own limits and preferences. I may have 4 or 5 pages of data for a specific firearm, telling me I am either still searching for that "right" combination, or that I simply enjoy working with that firerm. I record load data by firearm make, model, caliber, serial #, test date, powder, primer, bullet or boolit, OAL, velocity (if chronographed), group size (# shots / distance) and general comments (too hot, too cold, just right...). I mark favorite loads with a colored marker and use these as a standard for that firearm. Any other tests must measure up to the "standard" for that firearm, or improve it, to be considered for use.

My goal is to find a load that gives me what I need (accuracy, velocity, etc), create consistent results, avoid duplication of testing, have a ready reference for any new firearms I test in a caliber previously tested, and to have safe fun. Some loads are built for hunting big game or varmints, some for fun, others for any specific application or need. I have heard it said before that the dullest pencil has a longer memory than the sharpest mind. Its amazing how often I will research a caliber and find interesting load data to test in it, only to find I have already been there! Any data maintenance system that improves your research and load development is a plus. Just style it around your needs.

Wicky
01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Jerry, send me your email address the Excel spread sheet will not upload! My email is lawick82@hotmail.com

It looks a bit like this:

AZ Pete
01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
My old loading manuals have hand written notes in the back leaf of them. But most of my data is on labels on the boxes that I store the loaded ammo in (for rifles and some pistols). Bulk loaded ammo, I write the data on a 3x5 card and include it in the ammo can or zip lock bag, depending on how the ammo is stored.

Notes taken while developing the loads is in a couple of small spiral note books.

grumpy one
01-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I use an Excel spreadsheet. It doesn't make any calculations, it's really just a simple data table. I include some specifically cast-bullet related columns - list of columns is:
Date (of range visit)
Group size
Powder columns:
Powder type
Powder charge
Bullet columns:
Type
Gas check
Sized to
Alloy
Heat Treatment
Other data columns:
Primer
OAL
Crimp
Comments

As it happens I don't record lube type except making a comment when it changes: e.g. "50/50 Beeswax Alox from this date". Anyone who uses more than one lube type would add a lube column under "Bullet Columns".

I put the rows in blocks where they become non-comparable. For example, if I make a semi-permanent change in what I size to, I leave a blank row thus creating a separate data set. Same for different bullets. For different calibers/rifles I use a separate sheet within the same Excel file.

The purpose of this approach is to make it easy to compare results. I data-sort within blocks, not across blocks. A typical data sort would use powder type as the first sort key, group size as the second sort key, and powder charge as the third sort key. This lets me see both accuracy and variability with a quick glance.

The spreadsheet is not at all pretty, it is rough as burlap.

Adam10mm
01-24-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a one inch binder for every cartridge I load.

Any load data I come across on the Net gets printed, 3-hole punched and put in the cartridge binder. The first page of the binder is simply a word document with these data on it:

Bullet type
Bullet weight
Powder type
Powder weight
Primer
OAL
Velocity/Energy/PF if known
Comments

I flip to my 10mm binder and the page has all my go to 10mm loads listed like this:

155gr XTP 12.5gr Blue Dot WLP/CCI 1.260" 1399fps/675fpe/217PF 4 inch 1911

If I want to load a cartridge with a known load, I simply go to the binder, look at the first page for the load I want, refresh my memory and load up.