PDA

View Full Version : Hertner's super model 234 six stage press.

Freightman
07-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Got one at the gun show this morning for $50, this is a big heavy piece of cast iron. I need an adapter to make it use modern shell holders but Buffalo Arms has them. It seemed to be frozen down so took it apart cleaned it and scrapped out the stiff grease under the table and in the detent holes and it works fine.

Pressman
07-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Freightman you did good.
recently they have been going for 2-3 times that on eBay. Like you say shellholder adapters are available but in my not so humble opinion they are not the best solution. Herter's shellholders are all over eBay and are a way better option. The adapters are too tall and effect the stroke, the ram won't raise all the way to the break over point. It feels funny and looses some power at the end of the stroke.

Another option would be to track down the ram from the Herter's Model 72 shotshell press. It will fit but is longer and can be machined to the correct length for RCBS shellholders.

Of course if you are really lucky you could find an original Herter's adapter. They work wonderfully and do not add extra length.

Ken

LUBEDUDE
07-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Man you did great Freightman. You are going to like this press. It's fun to use. Looking at the top photo it looks like you have the bushing for the shotgun hole as well, so you're doing good!

Enjoy

seagiant
07-20-2014, 11:59 PM
Hi,
Yes, it has the hole for the shotshell dies. It's a robust press (sorta like a Soviet T-34 Tank!) I had one and sold it for $75 to a guy starting out reloading! Told him I'd buy it back anytime and he won't sale it! Go figure!

Green Frog
07-21-2014, 08:33 AM
There was a group of guys taking those turrets and re-drilling them with an additional 6 holes so you could mount 12 dies at a time. If you had a series of rifle cartridges like 243, 270, 330-06, and 338, for instance, you never even had to change shell holders! I always thought that would be a great press to own, but I've never found one anywhere near that reasonably priced. :(

Froggie

LUBEDUDE
07-21-2014, 09:36 AM
I always wondered why there wasn't more holes with all of that excess metal. Good to know that it is doable.

Mike Kerr
07-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Heck of a deal Freightman. You did very well indeed. Especially at that price. Enjoy.

gwpercle
07-22-2014, 08:16 PM
CH-4D has Herter's shell holder adapters and threaded rams . They might have what you need. I found a Eagle Cobra press they had an adapter for and it's now mounted on my bench, resurrected from the junk pile thanks to CH-4D. Call them , darn nice folks with awesome customer service.
Gary

fguffey
07-23-2014, 07:53 AM
There was a group of guys taking those turrets and re-drilling them with an additional 6 holes so you could mount 12 dies at a time.

A group of guys rediscovered the 12 hole turret and are now taking credit as though it did not exist before them, they are so vain.

[QUOTE][The adapters are too tall and effect the stroke, the ram won't raise all the way to the break over point/QUOTE]

The adapter will reduce usable height, it will not limit the ram travel, nothing changes when the press cam overs. The leverage stays the same.

There are other advantages to using the Herter.s shell holder

F. Guffey

http://gunsmagazine.com/ch4d-dies/