PDA

View Full Version : New home for a Hollywood

Pressman
07-19-2014, 05:32 PM

Last fall board member swandb asked me if I would be interested in a bucket of old iron he had. He said it was a reloading press all in pieces and dirty. Well he made me a brother-in-law offer. If I would give him a handfull of green back dollars he would give me the bucket of iron. Great.
I set it under the work bench as a someday project. Last week I has an unplanned day off (the air dryer on a DD15 quit which shuts off the air compressor) so my wife had nothing I just had to do so I decided to see what was in the bucket.

Dirty it was and covered with a mild bit of rust. After a lot of soaking in degreaser and scrubbing and polishing I realized that I had it all, right down to the tiny clips, to assemble a Hollywood Senior Turret. I thought about taking before pictures but then got to thinking that seeing a grown man cry at the condition of the parts (ie lubedude) so I would refrain.

The new polishing wheels available for the Dremel tool are great for getting inside holes and the curved inside surface of the slide. It is a good looking and really smooth functioning addition to the collection.

And, lubedude, it does have four 12 pitch threaded holes for large dies. Also included is a RCBS shellholder adapter and the bushing. Great. But, it only has one original handle on the turret. The other is from an older Hollywood and while it works it does not look right. It would be nice to find two additional original handles of make a trip to a machine shop with lots of $$$ to see if they could make copies along with the missing tie rod.

Ken

Sweetpea
07-19-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm quite sure there are a number of us here, that would be more than willing to help you recoup your investment...:bigsmyl2:

Very nice work!

seagiant
07-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Hi,
VERY nice Pressman! Feels good to put an old machine back to square one! I see (surprised really) that it can be used with the handle set up on the left or right! I'm a lefty but use my loaders right handed for some reason?

Wish I had a CNC lathe I would make up some tollhead handles that matched the originals! Maybe the "Perfessor' has one? I don't know but they should be able to be made? Once again nice work!

winelover
07-20-2014, 07:11 AM
Ambidexterous, they are. I'm a lefty and appreciate having that option.
Anyone with a lathe and a good bluing set-up could duplicate a handle. Goodsteel, comes to mind.

This is mine set for a southpaw.

Winelover

LUBEDUDE
07-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Great job on the resurection Pressman. It looks great!

And yeah, I do believe you have me pegged on my emotional state when it comes to these great muscle cars of the loading machines:)

At one time board member Snowshooze offered Senior Turret handles along with his Universal handles.
He must not have had any takers, because he withdrew the ad on EBay.

However, recently there has been some nice new ones for sale. It seems the guy only makes 3 at a time does a " buy now". Needless to say your timing better be good because they go fast.

Board member MDPhotographer can make you a Swage/support bar. He is currently making some for my Super Turret and doing a run of Senior Turret tool heads for a few of us.