PDA

View Full Version : 32 caliber BP for a kid

shawnba67
07-19-2014, 10:39 AM
I have been internet searching for a 25 to 32 caliber black powder round that would produce at least 22lr type ballistics and an child friendly level of recoil in a child friendly sized gun. I already load for 32/20 so using a .313 bullet would be a plus. So are there any other good fits ? Beyond obviously just getting another 32-20.

longranger
07-19-2014, 10:53 AM
32 Win. Special would be a good one,I tried it with B/P and would have taken a lot of playing with to get near the accuracy I get with cast and smokeless powder. It is very accurate with 9.0grs of Unique and 170 gr. bullet. Would be superb for a young shooter very light recoil in the Win. 94.Kids can saddle up to the 94 pretty easy and it's light enough for them to handle. I was also very happy with the smokeless loads were very close to the barrel sights as the B/P loads were not.You can still get Win.94's in 32. Special pretty darn reasonable.

Don McDowell
07-19-2014, 10:54 AM
32-20 would be about as good as it gets for a kid. Altho if a person had something suitable in a 327 federal it should make a good little rifle, similar to some of the 32 ballards and wessons.

country gent
07-19-2014, 11:06 AM
While not "american made" The martini cadets are somewhat available can easily be converted to 32-20 and are a light handi little single shot. You might even be able to find one used. A low wall might also be fournd. Both could be made into a light easily handling rifle with around a 10-11" length of pull depending on the childs size. Any of the sharps hepburns high walls may make a rifle to big and or heavy. A rolling block might make interesting boys rifle though.

John Boy
07-19-2014, 12:39 PM
25-20
85gr Meister

roadie
07-19-2014, 01:40 PM
I have been internet searching for a 25 to 32 caliber black powder round that would produce at least 22lr type ballistics and an child friendly level of recoil in a child friendly sized gun. I already load for 32/20 so using a .313 bullet would be a plus. So are there any other good fits ? Beyond obviously just getting another 32-20.

A lot of variables here.
Do you want to load smokeless or BP? What are you willing to spend? Do you want a rifle that will fit a kid properly? Not many do without altering the stock.

Me, I'd look for a Win. 92 in 25-20 or 32-20. It'll be a reasonable fit, not overly heavy for a kid. Plus, it will have cartridge capacity....kids want to shoot, not spend their time loading a magazine. The price of a 92 may well be a deal breaker though.

Considering that you already load for 32-20, it's the logical choice.....nothing wrong in having something different though....great reason to grab a 25-20.

Nobade
07-19-2014, 07:47 PM
I converted a Remington #4 rolling block rifle to 32 H&R mag for my daughter. It's just about the perfect kid gun - 3.5 lb, no recoil, very simple to use. Plus easy for her to wipe the bore when it starts to get fouled out. The only thing I would do differently is not use the mag case. It's a hair too long to easily load, the regular 32 long would be perfect. Of course it goes without saying load such a rifle with black powder only or it won't hold up very long.

-Nobade