PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Red with no JPW?

SniderBoomer
07-19-2014, 10:27 AM
I use Ben's Red for all my Nitro loads. It's excellent, I will always use it.

I recently experimented on it, made a batch correctly described as a lube based-on Ben's Red as it had no JPW, as it's getting hard to get or is very expensive in some countries.

I replaced the JPW with a measure of Carnauba Wax flakes in the mix instead. I figured (rightly or wrongly) that the magic part of the JPW was the Carnauba. I added exactly 50 grams to a total 1KG melted mix.

Very interesting. No real smell of any volatiles at all on melting it all up first time, and similarly, no volatiles-smells on the re-heats when I fill the Lube-Sizer.

The smell is great, just a pleasant, friendly 'Beeswaxy' smell. I need no heater on my Luber Sizer at room temp.

So far, been great in my rifle nitro loads. Same clean, shiny bores.

All due respect to Ben, not messing with his formula, just describing making something based on it but with no JPW.

Bigslug
07-19-2014, 04:01 PM
This is rather intriguing. One of my minor issues with Ben's lube is the stinky chemical smell of the stuff on an indoor range. On the one hand, it's possible that I need to slowly allow more of the JPW volatiles to cook out, but on the other, there may be things in JPW that aren't really needed in the lube. You may have created an "essentials" version of Ben's Red. While it doesn't seem like there's enough variability in batches of JPW to create inconsistency with the lube, you may have a decent way of avoiding what inconsistency there MIGHT be.

Ben
07-19-2014, 06:43 PM
All due respect to Ben, not messing with his formula, just describing making something based on it but with no JPW.

You may be onto something just as good or better.....you fellows " go at it ! " You guys feel free to make any and all modifications that you want.

I will say this however, I don't spend my time smelling of my lube, I spend my time shooting it. Then again, I never shoot indoors, only outdoors.

Ben

Taylor
07-24-2014, 05:48 PM
JPW is ,for the most part,beeswax and carnuba wax.Plus some 53 syllable "volatile " that we cook out anyway. ???:coffee:

runfiverun
07-26-2014, 10:19 AM
actually it's parrafin wax and carnuba wax, it's kept soft with the solvents.

Taylor
07-27-2014, 03:35 PM
actually it's parrafin wax and carnuba wax, it's kept soft with the solvents.

You are correct,brain yes one thing,fingers do another.