PDA

View Full Version : Rossi "Matched Pair" .45LC/410

Pinsnscrews
07-19-2014, 04:31 AM
So I have this Rossi Matched Pair in .45LC/410 with the .22LR swap barrel.

It is lousy for shooting .45LC.

It does shoot .410 fairly decent.

I am wondering if it would be worth using it to play with BP...Never ventured into BP, but think it might be fun.

Suggestions on Loads would be appreciated, and any suggestions on BP books to read up on would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Tackleberry41
07-20-2014, 11:58 AM
I bought one, lousy for 45 colt is an understatement. Barn sized groups at any distance. Cowboys loads were even worse, I wonder if the rifling did anything when a cast bullet ran into the rifling after that good 1 1/4 of freebore.

Tried all sorts of things, 444 marlin to get the bullet closer to the rifling, no better than with 45 colt, to much freebore. Tried 9.3x74r, but wont fit in the chamber with a bullet in it. Thought of reaming the chamber so it would fit, but Rossi seems incapable of cutting a barrel straight, nothing was concentric, and the barrel was 'bent' from the welding they do. A 410 single shot pistol, really isnt very practical.

I ended up resorting to cutting off the barrel, and drilling it out like some do with an H&R barrel. Not much meat around it, but standard pressure loads arent an issue. Had a length of 45 barrel under the bench. Not fun making the threaded piece to hold the forearm, welding it on is what warps them to begin with. But do have a serviceable 45 colt chambered pistol now, that is actually pretty accurate. Friend makes fun of it says it looks like something a pirate would carry.