PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Dies...

BCB
07-18-2014, 09:42 AM
I am reloading the 6.8mm SPC using the Hornady dies...

I am seating the bullets to a lesser depth than recommended as I am shooting them in a single shot rifle and I am not limited in length by the magazine of a semi...

The problem is that when I seat the bullet depth less than recommended the seating stem is pushed out of the alignment sleeve and then it sticks up above the alignment sleeve and I have to tap the sleeve to get the stem to drop back down...

Now, since the seating dies are for calibers and not specific cartrides, I wonder if someone could measure the alignment sleeve in any of the 27 caliber Hornady seating dies?...

The alignment sleeve for the 6.8mm is ~1.445"...

If all alignment sleeve are the same length, it appears a custom one will need be made for my set of dies because of O.C.L....

Thanks...BCB

DR Owl Creek
07-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Sorry, but I don't that size Hornady dies. I have 17 others, but not that one.

My question is what type of press are you using the dies in? The geometry is different with some makes of dies in certain presses. If I use Lee dies in my Hornady AP-L-N-L progressive press, the Lee dies have to be adjusted down so far they rub on the shell plate as it turns, and will even bend the ejector. If you're using Hornady dies in a Lee press, that's probably your problem.

Dave

BCB
07-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Using them with a Rock Chucker press of many years gone by…

The seating die is limited to how far it can be screwed into the press as the crimp ring controls this—with or without a crimp…

The Hornady dies adjust the same as other dies, except the alignment sleeve and the seating stem float…

I guess I could e-mail Hornady, but it will probably take weeks to get an answer…

It still seats the bullets, but if the stem does not line up and drop back into the sleeve, it becomes an extra annoying step to tap it up and hope the stem falls into it…

A good idea, but I don’t think it was set up to seat a bullet in the 6.8mm so the O.C.L. is longer than recommended in all manuals…

Thanks…BCB

NVScouter
07-18-2014, 06:08 PM
My Hornady 22-250 seating die did that stuff. After my second and worst jammed case/bullet I sent them off to Hornady again then gave the fixed dies to my friend without 22-250 dies. LEE Compititon dies replaced them and I'm much happier.

BCB
07-18-2014, 06:15 PM
My Hornady 22-250 seating die did that stuff. After my second and worst jammed case/bullet I sent them off to Hornady again then game the fixed dies to my friend without 22-250 dies. LEE Compititon dies replaced them and I'm much happier.

Yep, that is what mine do--jam the bullet. Very annoying...

I think I will e-mail Hornady and see if they can solve the problem by whatever means. I think a longer sleeve would do the job--but I may be wrong on that...

BCB

largom
07-18-2014, 06:16 PM
I use Hornady seating dies for all of my cast boolit guns, however I make my own sliding sleeve's and seating stems which are oversized for my boolits.
I do not have a 6.8 but have found that some calibers require a longer sleeve OR a longer seating stem.

Larry

BCB
07-18-2014, 08:01 PM
I use Hornady seating dies for all of my cast boolit guns, however I make my own sliding sleeve's and seating stems which are oversized for my boolits.
I do not have a 6.8 but have found that some calibers require a longer sleeve OR a longer seating stem.

Larry

Are you certain on the longer stem?...

I am trying to visualize that. It would seem the bottom of the stem would need to be pushed into the sleeve as far as the factory stem. And that would be out of the sleeve...

Not debating, just thinking...

Thanks...BCB

largom
07-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Are you certain on the longer stem?...

I am trying to visualize that. It would seem the bottom of the stem would need to be pushed into the sleeve as far as the factory stem. And that would be out of the sleeve...

Not debating, just thinking...

Thanks...BCB

I think you are right. I have never made longer stems, only longer sleeves.

Larry

BCB
07-19-2014, 04:33 PM
I think you are right. I have never made longer stems, only longer sleeves.

Larry

Do you do the machine work on them yourself?...

If so, do you do it for other people?...

Thanks...BCB

largom
07-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Yes I do the machine work myself. Since moving to Tenn. I do not have my lathe and mill set up yet so I cannot do the work for others.

Larry