PDA

View Full Version : Questions: Lee FCD in 45/70

montana_charlie
01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I have some questions about the Lee Factory Crimp Die for the .45/70 cartridge.

Does anybody have one that he can disassemble...to provide some dimensions from?

Primarily, I want to know the length of the 'collet' that does the crimping.
Also, I am wondering if the rim of the case actually contacts the bottom of the collet, to push it upward as the crimp is formed.

If the case rim does not push the collet up...what does?
CM

45 2.1
01-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I have some questions about the Lee Factory Crimp Die for the .45/70 cartridge.

Does anybody have one that he can disassemble...to provide some dimensions from?

Primarily, I want to know the length of the 'collet' that does the crimping. You can grind the bottom of the collet or add to it by welding to get a custom length where you crimp at. The crimp has a flat section on it also.
Also, I am wondering if the rim of the case actually contacts the bottom of the collet, to push it upward as the crimp is formed.
No it does not, the shellholder pushes the collet. The redding profile crimp die is a much better solution to this problem.

montana_charlie
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Thank you, .45 2.1, for that information. It may be the shell holder pushing up (instead of the case rim) but it is clear that the length of the collet is tied closely to case length.

That means my 'plan' will not work.
I was thinking to buy a Lee FDC in 45/70, then buy the longer die body (from Lee) that they supply with the FCD for the .458 Win. Mag. My plan was to create (by mixing parts) a Factory Crimp Die for 45/90.

Also...I don't want to actually crimp my cases.
Instead, I just wanted to be able to put the lightest bit of squeeze on the case neck, so that thumb seated bullets are not so likely to fall out when the round is inverted.

Anybody happen to know how long the collet is in a .458 Win. Mag. FCD...and is it operated by the shell holder, or the shoulder of the case?

Nueces
01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Charlie, I have several rifle FCDs and all are actuated by contact with the shell holder. You could make the 45-70 die work with your 45-90 cases by making a 0.300" spacer to fit over the base of the 45-90 case when in the shell holder. The spacer would actuate the die. Might need to adjust the 3/10 height some, like for your chamber-length cases.

Mark

swampsavage
01-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Might be that the problem you are experiencing is the same as mine. My FCD in 7.62X54R doesn't work right with my new Norma brass. Turns out the brass is .022 shorter than spec. I solved it by putting the case on top of shellholder until the brass stretches with a few firings. Might want to caliper the cases to see if they are full lenght. A lot of new brass isn't.

montana_charlie
01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
a 0.300" spacer to fit over the base of the 45-90 case when in the shell holder.
Sounds like a workable plan, as long as the die body is deep enough to work with a case that long.

When using other Lee 45/70 dies for 45/90 jobs, sometimes I just about run out of threads by the time a die is backed out far enough to work.

Guess I'll put this on the back burner for a while, and see if I can pick up a half-priced 45/70 FCD to mess with.
In the meantime, I'll keep using my taper crimp die.

Thanks, fellas...
CM

Jon K
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Charlie,

The Lee FCD will crimp the 45-90 as little or as much as you want. I am using it on PP and GG boolits, Just adjust accordingly. I use a very light crimp- the boolit spins, but won't fall out after crimping. I also use the same die for 45-70. Give it a try.

Jon

montana_charlie
01-23-2008, 05:46 PM
That sounds encouraging, Jon K. Thanks...

45 2.1,
Because you mentioned it, I had to look into the Redding Profile Crimp dies. While Redding does produce 45/90 dies, they don't offer the PCD in that length.
And, their description of the PCD says it makes a 'roll crimp'...so, I guess I'll pass on it.
CM

45 2.1
01-29-2008, 01:55 PM
That sounds encouraging, Jon K. Thanks...

45 2.1,
Because you mentioned it, I had to look into the Redding Profile Crimp dies. While Redding does produce 45/90 dies, they don't offer the PCD in that length.
And, their description of the PCD says it makes a 'roll crimp'...so, I guess I'll pass on it.
CM

The 4570 profile crimp will work fine for the 4590. I use it to roll crimp over the end of the front band to just touch the nose. Works good to retard powder burn for just long enough. I can't imagine anyone wanting to use a taper crimp for BPCR.

Nueces
01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
What means are y'all (Jon K, 45 2.1) using to actuate the 45-70 FCD for use with the longer 45-90 case?

Mark

45 2.1
01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
What means are y'all (Jon K, 45 2.1) using to actuate the 45-70 FCD for use with the longer 45-90 case?

Mark

The Redding is a standard die, no collet. A spacer for the 4590 would be required for the FCD collet Lee.