PDA

View Full Version : New mold not closing when hot

RG1911
07-17-2014, 10:05 AM
As I mentioned in my First Impression posting about my new Ballisti-Cast mold, the bullets are coming out with some flashing/feathering at the seam.

I noticed that this does not happen until the mold is hot -- then the blocks do not meet tightly -- light can be seen when looking down at the cavities. I have resorted to gently tapping the handles to close the blocks.

Because the blocks can be closed, I am pretty sure that they are not warped, but that another part is causing the problem. My suspicion naturally falls on the alignment pins.

However, I have not experienced this with any of my other molds, so before I start guessing and changing (the wrong) things, I'd like to ask if anyone else has experienced this problem, and what the most likely cause and solution are.

Thank you,
Richard

youngmman
07-17-2014, 10:52 AM
The alignment pins are different on the Ballisti-Cast molds, notice they are straight and not tapered. I had exactly the same problem you describe although the light I saw through the mold halves was from the vent's.

The seam did not appear like the mold was closing and there was finning. I sent it back and it is being fixed now or replaced. They did apologize and said they had some reorganization problems that are being fixed now.

Bill Sand of Sand Fabrication that owns Ballisti-Cast gave me his personal assurance the problem would be fixed or the mold replaced. It was received by them earlier this week.

I would suggest returning the mold to Bill Sand marked "personal" as he asked me to do so it is sure to get to him along with some sample bullets you have cast that illustrate the problem.

His name is on the door so he has a vested interest to the companies reputation to make it right.

RG1911
07-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Having to return the mold would be a trifle dejecting since it took 16 months to get it. But if that's what it takes ...

Shall ping Bill.

Thank you,
Richard

Boolseye
07-18-2014, 06:59 PM
I had a NOE mold that did that. Al told me that I needed to use a little emory on the alignment pins and bushings. Problem solved.

RG1911
07-19-2014, 04:07 PM
I had a NOE mold that did that. Al told me that I needed to use a little emory on the alignment pins and bushings. Problem solved.
I suspect you're absolutely right. But I mailed it back this morning. If that isn't the problem, or if something goes wrong, I'd like it to be where any problems can be rectified.

Richard