PDA

View Full Version : Question on shipping Lee moulds....

Harry O
07-17-2014, 09:52 AM
I have a bunch of Lee moulds that I intend to get rid of in "Swapping & Selling". My question is what is the cheapest way to ship the mould and handles?

It does not look like it will fit in a small flat rate box (which would be pretty expensive for these moulds anyway). Does anyone know what it would take to wrap the box it comes in and send it by first class mail? Does anyone have any other ideas?

DeputyDog25
07-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Harry, you can also get what they call Regional A,B boxes that are shipped at a reduced rate depending on which part of the country you are shipping them to. They are a bigger than a SFRB and about the same size as a MFRB.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-17-2014, 10:05 AM
from my experience, any item (boxed up) weighing over 13 ozs shipped via "first class" in your packaging, is nearly the same price as a small flat rate box or envelope...close enough, with the hassle of finding the right sized boxes to pack them well, it becomes a no brainer for me to use the small flat rate packages.

with that said, if they are 1 or 2 cavity style lee molds and the handles aren't glued on, remove the wood handles and wrap everything individually in taped up newspaper, you can fit two complete molds into a small flat rate box.

ALSO, I have shipped lots of molds wrapped well in the small style bubblewrap and then shipped in the USPS flat rate padded envelope, these are generally not available from the local post office, but they are easily obtained from USPS's website for free, it takes about a week or so for them to arrive to you.

Another little secret it:
the USPS's VHS shipper box, which is larger than the small flat rate box, is large enough for a disassembled Lee 6 cavity mold, will fit inside of a standard flat rate envelope. if you go that route, I highly suggest you label the box as well as the envelope...and encase the envelope in clear ship tape.

all those examples ship for less than $6.
Good Luck,
Jon

AlaskanGuy
07-17-2014, 11:26 AM
I say, just put all he molds into a medium flat rate box, and sell them to me... :) one price, one box.... :D

jonp
07-17-2014, 12:23 PM
If you do go the flat rate route go to the usps site and pay/print your own label. You save 50 cents or so doing this.

JWFilips
07-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Lee 2 Cavity moulds usually fit diagonally into a Priority regional rate A box. If the buyer is within a few zones of you the price is very reasonable ( Especially if you purchase the shipping on line at USPS.com) Also as said earlier You could use the USPS Priority Tyvek Shipping envelope and roll the moulds up well in bubble wrap however this price would be weight dependent so you would need an accurate scale if purchasing postage on line ( On line postage from USPS is much cheaper then going to the post office to purchase it)
The best deal would be if folks bought a few off you. You could send 4 or more in a MFRB for about $11 Use the flatter long box MFRB
for this Hope this helps

high standard 40
07-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Lee double cavity molds will fit in a USPS small flat rate box. Simply tap off the wood handles, which is easy to do, and it will all fit the SFRB just fine.

bedbugbilly
07-17-2014, 01:06 PM
I have both received and shipped them in their original box - wrapped in brown paper (grocery sack) and well taped. However, if you ship 1st class - it's all going to depend on where they are going. If it's in your state for example, it will be cheaper than shipping it across country.

Unfortunately, postage is no longer cheap. The nice thing is that the Lee molds are light as compared to say a Lyman or a RCBS. Some good info has been given above.

Most folks are very understanding on postal expenses . . . and then there are those who want something for nothing. If they will fit in a SFRB - the price gives you both $50 worth of insurance and tracking. If you ship by first class and you want tracking . . the tracking will be an add on.

I have sold on eBay for a long time and I never ship without tracking - things do get lost and then I have had several claim they never received the item. Tracking will give you the satisfaction of looking on the USPS sight and following the package to it's destination. All things to consider . . .

texassako
07-17-2014, 01:50 PM
I send the 2 cavity molds in the box they came in. Bubble wrap the mold and any extra space in the box, wrap the box in butcher paper, and mail it priority for the insurance and tracking. It is not much more than a small flat rate box, about $6 depending on origin and destination. You could do the same and mail them First Class, but I remember it was not that much cheaper and you don't get tracking or insurance.

JWFilips
07-17-2014, 03:09 PM
First Class parcel is only allowed for up to 13 ounces & I think most lee moulds will be over that weight

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-17-2014, 06:10 PM
First Class parcel is only allowed for up to 13 ounces & I think most lee moulds will be over that weight
I believe that only applies to drop boxes.
If you bring a parcel to the PO, you can bring heavier packages...I'm not sure what the limit is for first class? ...probably 70 lbs ?

Beesdad
07-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Remove the center bolt and take them apart....then they will fit in a flat rate box and it's easier than removing the handles..

JWFilips
07-17-2014, 06:39 PM
I believe that only applies to drop boxes.
If you bring a parcel to the PO, you can bring heavier packages...I'm not sure what the limit is for first class? ...probably 70 lbs ?

Yes you can but it isn't First Class.......it is "Parcel Select" & believe me, it is cheaper at that point, to use Priority mail. USPS really change that policy once you are over 13 oz unless it is 1 or two zones distant you are better off with priority plus you will get $50 free insurance with Priority

On another note: some guys probably would be upset if they get a disassembled mould IMHO

btroj
07-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Send me a list of what you have, we have many Omaha area members who might be interested in eliminating shipping entirely.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Yes you can but it isn't First Class.......it is "Parcel Select" & believe me, it is cheaper at that point, to use Priority mail.
OK, good to know, I learn something everyday...Thanks.

On another note: some guys probably would be upset if they get a disassembled mould IMHO
While I almost always remove the wood handles when selling/shipping a mold, I always make sure the buyer knows this and is OK with this. It's easy to 'slip' on the wood handles...that's a good time to glue them on as well.

MaryB
07-18-2014, 02:10 AM
Post office also makes priority mail boxes in larger sizes, I have some 12x3x15 I use to ship some larger stuff I laser engrave/cut. Price on it is often cheaper than a smaller flat rate box.