PDA

View Full Version : is this gonna work?

lunicy
01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
I just made some 500 s&w rounds. I used a 440 gr lead bullet with 40 gr of 2400. I got the data off the web. The bullet compressed the powder slightly. Am I setting myself up for disaster? I know not to trust all data from the net. Although I have never compressed powder before. Maybe thats why my spidey sense is tingling. If these rounds are fine, I'd like to fire them. I just want some comformation that I wont wear the top strap of my gun as a new lip ring.

felix
01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Just because the powder is compressed means nothing. The amount and speed of the powder is much more paramount. Compression hurts burn speed to some extent, by either making the powder slower or faster, depending on the powder granule size mainly. Big grains go faster when compressed, and small grains (micro-ball-type) go slower. ... felix

nicholst55
01-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Find a source of known good load data and compare your load; judge from that. A lot of loads slightly compress the powder charge, so that's not a huge concern. Alliant doesn't post data for the .500 S&W on their website, so you're out of luck there.

Actually, I just did a quick web search and didn't find ANY data for the .500 S&W using 2400, with any bullet weight. There's probably a reason for that, so it would seem that you're entirely on your own here...

I'm afraid I'd be real tempted to 'erase' those loads and try something else.

lunicy
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
found some data on alliant site:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/newCalibers/500_S_W_Magnum.htm

38-42 gr of 2400 with a 350 gr soft point.
How does that compare to a 440gr lead?

Am i still ok?

felix
01-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Just how many grains of 2400 did you put into a case? ... felix

BABore
01-22-2008, 01:15 PM
He says 40 grains on his first post. Based on that data, I would guesstimate that 30 grains would be a better staring point. Would be nice to see some different weight bullets for a possible correlation.

felix
01-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Yep, the powder might be a little too fast for a 440 grain payload, even when the powder is compressed tightly. De-reload the ammo, and save the components. If the gun was a strong bolt action, I would shoot one and measure the case expansion. The load very well could loosen up the pistol in just one round. ... felix

454PB
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
The first rule is to WORK UP YOUR LOADS in your gun. Obviously you just jumped in and assembled 500 rounds. If it were me, I'd set those aside with a big warning note, and start over with new empty brass, then work up from a recommended start weight. If you learn you were really lucky you didn't shoot any of the stored ammo, you now have a big pulling project ahead of you.

BABore
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Uhmmmmmmmmm, he's talking 500 S&W rounds. Not he loaded 500 rounds. Didn't mention how many were actually loaded.

lunicy
01-22-2008, 01:43 PM
no i only made 20 rounds.

lunicy
01-22-2008, 01:45 PM
not new, just had an idea. Thought against it, then decided to ask some seasoned vets. Thanks for the info.

cbrick
01-23-2008, 05:24 AM
After looking at the Alliant data your charge of 2400 is two grains under max but your 90 grains over the listed bullet weight. That's a 26% increase in bullet weight over the listed bullet and your 2 grains under the listed powder max (which is 5%) for a bullet 26% lighter so . . . if it were me I'd pull the bullets (in a heart beat) and dump the powder but then if it were me I wouldn't take a load off the net without researching it first. At least you asked first, fingers and eyes are so very tough to replace not to mention a nice gun.

Rick

Lloyd Smale
01-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I have to agree. the smith 500 runs very high pressure as it is for a handgun and you certainly dont want to overcharge it as just a small increase in powders espcially with one that is relitively fast for the application can be disasterous. Fooling with a big case like that in a handgun and wanting top velocitys i wouldnt fool with any powders faster then 110. Take my 475 for an example. It runs higher pressures then my 500s but still not as high as your smith. I can run 27 grains of 110 all day with a 420 but bump that up to just 28 and i have to hammer cases out of it. Back that bullet of to a 400 and again its ok but right on the ragged edge. 90 grains of bullet weight is WAY TO MUCH to take for granted. If you insist on using 2400 in your gun use it for light loads only and work up your loads carefully. Another thing that was touched on was interntet loads. DONT TRUST THEM. Dont get me wrong as ive gotten lots of good loads off of here myself but the old saying if you have to ask dont do it applys. The loads in loading manuals have been pressure tested and are known to be safe. A load that is safe in some guys gun on here may not be in yours and you also get alot of advice from people that just like to see there name on the net and know less then you do. Ive actually seen guys give load advice for a gun/bullet combo that dont even own one.

lunicy
01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
broke down and pulled them. Is there a formula to work with. ex. if a 350 gr bullet takes ##gr then a 450 gr bullet should take ? or is there just too many variables.

As for the 500, I'm gonna make a few at 28gr, 30gr, 32gr, and see from there.