PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to clean out old lube from Star Luber?

Swede 45
07-16-2014, 08:28 AM
As title says: I want to clean out some old unknown lube from a Star Lubesizer to replace with my new lube..
I`m thinking about heating it up with either a heatgun or in a oven, to then pour out the old lube..?
I dont want to damage any o-rings, seals or such..
Is there any other proven way?
No, i donīt want to just keep on using it until it runs out.. I want my new lube in asap!:razz:

RedHawk357Mag
07-17-2014, 12:15 AM
Popped the resizing die out turned the heat up a little on my heater applied 40 psi of pressure placed a Folgers coffee can lid under the press and went smoked a cigarette and had a neat coil of old lube in the lid. Activated the plunger piston a couple times for all the lube to come out. Popped the air assist off looked in the lube chamber and noticed a smigon still left and carefully removed with one of those adjustable combination squares with the level removed. Poured in new TAC 1, worked like gang busters.

bobthenailer
07-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Heat ! turn up temp on base heater or use a heatgun or your wife's hair dryer with dilligance !

Swede 45
07-17-2014, 10:35 AM
I don't have a heatbase or airpressure fittings ..
I guess I try to remove the sizer die, apply some heat and work it out the " natural" way!:-)

r1kk1
07-17-2014, 01:08 PM
I placed mine on a tin pie plate in the oven at the lowest setting. It cleaned it out.

take care

r1kk1

A pause for the COZ
07-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Remove the Brass plug on the plunger side. Take a heat gun, Propane torch ( carefully), ect.
Put something down to catch the Lube. I taped a sheet of aluminum foil down.
Add pressure and the lube squirts out the hole..
Messy but it works.

Swede 45
07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks , that's sound like a good way!

Pressman
07-19-2014, 05:05 PM
I boiled mine. Went to the second hand store and got an old cook pot. Filled pot with enough water to cover the parts that needed cleaning and set it on the stove. No odor so wife never complained and in 15 minutes I lifted a really clean and shiny Star from the pot. It is hot so it dries quickly.
I used the same method on several other brands ie: Pacific and Ideal and one unknown with equally good results.
Ken

zuke
07-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Leave it in direct sunlight for an afternoon

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-19-2014, 11:52 PM
partially disassemble it and boil the part with the lube in it. Works like a charm.

Beagle333
07-20-2014, 12:19 AM
If you do boil it.... put some Dawn in the water. It'll help the lube to separate from the metal and float.