PDA

View Full Version : Redding form and trim die for 25/20

peterso
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Has anyone tried the Redding form and trim die for reforming 32/20 brass to 25/20? I have plenty of 32/20 brass and very little 25/20. I tried a process described on another board but my RCBS dies aren't cut the same as theirs so the intermediate step needed to keep from wrinkling of the necks did not work.
Thanks,
Ferret Master

OverMax
07-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Annealing first might help. Big jump from 32 down to 25. Don't really know if its possible without something in-between to relieve the stress. Maybe, maybe not? Unless someone suggest differently. You just may need the services of a outside neck trimmer on this occasion. Don't even see anyone making reforming dies made for your project. Strange as you would think some manufacture would make them.

TCFAN
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
bought one for a 218 bee.I make 2 pass on the form die with 32-20 brass with a annealing between and use a 25-20 FL sized die and then FL 218 die.I loose about 20%.With 25-20 brass it is a lot easier than with 32-20 brass.Also Starline brass is much harder to form than Win. or Rem.

bones37
07-16-2014, 07:12 PM
That is exactly what I just bought not a month ago, it works perfectly on new brass, I can't comment on how it would work on fired brass. Lube case with Imperial sizing die wax, brings it right down to .25 no problems, but go SLOW. I also tried that same process using sizing/seating dies, and it didn't work for me at all. There was a very high failure rate as You may have found. With the Redding die, the brass looks like factory formed, I recommend it.
Has anyone tried the Redding form and trim die for reforming 32/20 brass to 25/20? I have plenty of 32/20 brass and very little 25/20. I tried a process described on another board but my RCBS dies aren't cut the same as theirs so the intermediate step needed to keep from wrinkling of the necks did not work.
Thanks,
Ferret Master