PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rifle to yourself, need advice.

tommag
07-15-2014, 07:42 PM
I have a friend(another truckdriver) who wants to get a load to Alaska this year, and do some hunting. He is under the impression that he has to ship his rifle to Alaska. I know B.C. won't let me bring rifles with me anymore unless I have hired a guide, bought licences, or am enrolled in a match. I'm thinking he can bring his rifle through Canada if he is going through to Alaska.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what is allowed in this instance.

petroid
07-15-2014, 07:52 PM
US embassy in Canada's website says easiest way to get firearms from contiguous US to AK is crated and shipped. Lots of paperwork and hoops to jump through to transport through Canada.

AlaskanGuy
07-15-2014, 07:58 PM
You can always ship them to yourself in care of somebody else.... So if you have hired a guide, just send to yourself I think.... Be sure to register and insure.....

AG

Duckiller
07-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Fedex and UPS won't let you ship a firearm to yourself, only to a FFL. If you are going to fly, take it with you after you have talked to your airline. It flies as checked luggage in a very good solid case. If you are going to drive you can get a permit from the RCMP to take in=t with you in a locked case. Long guns and large pistols. A Canadian member here gave me the RCMP number. Let me check old pms and I will bew back.

Duckiller
07-16-2014, 02:16 AM
Fedex and UPS won't let you ship a firearm to yourself, only to a FFL. If you are going to fly, take it with you after you have talked to your airline. It flies as checked luggage in a very good solid case. If you are going to drive you can get a permit from the RCMP to take in=t with you in a locked case. Long guns and large pistols. A Canadian member here gave me the RCMP number. Let me check old pms and I will be back. I'm back. Didn't post first part of message that is why I have a low post count. Any way you need an Authorization To Transport for restricted guns. Call 1-506-624-5380 ot go to http://www.cfc-cafc.gc. I called the phone number and talked to nice people. Don't argue the cConstitution or gun laws with them. They know our laws are different than theirs and are just trying to help Americans comply with Canadian laws. If you are polite they may make route suggestions. But remember that they are citizens of a particular Providence and take pride tin that providence's roads. Be nice and they will be very helpful.

tommag
07-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I passed it on to him.

MtGun44
07-16-2014, 01:44 PM
PITA at the least.

Be careful - if you ship to a FFL, you will need to be an AK state resident
to take delivery of YOUR gun if it is a pistol.

Bill

Mooseman
07-16-2014, 03:26 PM
You can purchase a Transport license for Bolt action Rifles, Long barreled shotguns, and large Caliber, long barreled handguns which allows you to transport your guns thru Canada and back.
The license cost 25.00 Canadian and I'm not sure if it covers 1 gun or multiple guns. Check the Canadian Border website for details.I Have shipped guns to myself thru Fedex from Seattle and had them hold it for pickup in Anchorage at the FedEx Terminal.
I do not tell them whats in the package. If you have someone to receive a package , you can mail it to yourself USPS C/O them , but they cannot open the package, just hold it for you.

starmac
07-16-2014, 04:41 PM
The fee to transport through Canada is now 50 nucks, or was the last time I brought any through. It is now for multiple long arms now, instead of a piece. There is absolutely no hoops nto jump through if you can legally drive through canada, it just doesn't get any easier.

AlaskanGuy
07-16-2014, 05:28 PM
I am with mooseman..and like I stated in my first post.. Send to yourself via USPS whatever way you feel most comfy with... Insured minimum, to yourself, c/o somebody else.... And it is NOT required that you tell UsPs what is in he package..... Just do it if your going to hunt with a guide that is an alaskan guide, as I am sure that the guide will have no problem holding your Package for you...... I am surprised that the guide did not tell you this up front....... Most places where you are going to want a guide for FedEx and ups wont deliver to anyway, only usps.

AG

starmac
07-16-2014, 06:59 PM
I would think, if a guy wanted to mail it up to himself, that there would be a member here somewhere close to where he would be going, that would hold it for him. If he is driving up anyway, I would just bring it up. Whatever he decides, if he is driving or flying, he should bring his ammo with him, he can't ship it, and he might not even be able to buy what he needs here.

winchester85
07-16-2014, 07:22 PM
never heard of UPS or FEDEX not allowing shipping to yourself. it is done all the time. i have heard that US MAIL will not let you ship to a non-FFL, and cannot ship ammo US mail.

attrapereves
07-16-2014, 07:36 PM
never heard of UPS or FEDEX not allowing shipping to yourself. it is done all the time. i have heard that US MAIL will not let you ship to a non-FFL, and cannot ship ammo US mail.

I've also shipped to myself using UPS. No problems. I usually print off the label at home, then just drop it off. No need to deal with the nosey employees at the ship center.

AlaskanGuy
07-16-2014, 10:26 PM
You can ship rifles and other firearms to yourself legally... But ammo and ammo components like powder and primers are a total no no.... Nothing like that can go Air.... Same in the lower 48.... You guys that are able to buy primers and powders via ups and fedex ground are blessed... Those of us in Alaska have to deal with air delivery only... That is why you folks can get stuff that we alaskans cant... We can only buy stuff that is air shipable... Even stuff like many glues, stock finishes and such are not allowed to go via airmail usps/fedex/ups... It makes for learning how to get stuff in state or "alternative ways".... Really sucks...

AG

Duckiller
07-17-2014, 04:22 PM
You can legally ship firearms to yourself, just that Fedex and UPS won't knowingly do it.Not sure what they would do if you ship without telling them and it was insured. If they lost a gun they mght no pay off on the insurance. Winchester85 talk to UPS or FedEx and ask if they will knowingly ship a gun to a non-FFL. If you can find someone with some authority that says it is ok PLEASE share the information. ATF reps have told me "No problem shipping to yourself". Everyone I have talked to at FedEx and UPS says company policy says no.

rbertalotto
07-17-2014, 05:06 PM
In the last few months I've sold a number of my rifles to folks out of my home state.

I always ship to an FFL in the buyers home state and they pick it up at the FFL after the NIC check.

I always declare in the description that it is a rifle. UPS always asks if it is unloaded but I've never been asked to see a copy of the FFL and I've never been asked if it was going to an FFL.

I would suggest that as long as you declare it on the form as a rifle, insurance would have to cover it.