PDA

View Full Version : .45 Colt Starlite Blank Brass

mcpilot
07-15-2014, 05:31 PM
I mean Starline

I ordered these obviously in error and have been shooting them with regular loads and didn't realize ti was not recommended.

The primers have been staying in place and I could not honestly tell the difference between these and the factory cases that I have been reloading..

Anyone else have any experience with these?

Regards

Mike

smkummer
07-15-2014, 06:01 PM
I have done this before with some 45 ACP brass and didn't notice an issue either but it was fired out of a submachinegun. With my 45 Colt chambered revolvers which are all Colt (SAA, New Service and Anaconda), I won't use it for fear of dislodging the recoil shield. If that happens, its not cheap to send the gun to Colt and have it re-installed. The 2 way shipping is more than the labor. If your gun does not have a recoil shield you may be OK but you could be putting stress on the firing pin or other parts.

flyingmonkey35
07-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Bad ju ju to shoot live ammo from blank brass.

1 flash whole is enlarged.
2. Primer hole is enlarged so you don't need a tool to insert .the pressure can blow it out. Not good
3. Designed not t be used with powder at all. Just the primer

bangerjim
07-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Load 'em up with hot melt glue boolits made in you standard 45cal molds! That is what they are made for! No powder.....just primer.

I do it all the time.

bangerjim

mcpilot
07-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Hi there Flyingmonkey..

I realize the flash hole is enlarged but are you sure the primer pocket is as well?

When I look at mine they appear to be the same dimension as standard brass... The primer seats with resistance and I was unable to seat a primer without a tool..

I have the plastic cases that you load with rubber bullets... Those are designed for no powder. I believe the Starline blank brass is meant to be used with powder, just not a bullet...

Bad ju ju to shoot live ammo from blank brass.

1 flash whole is enlarged.
2. Primer hole is enlarged so you don't need a tool to insert .the pressure can blow it out. Not good
3. Designed not t be used with powder at all. Just the primer

flyingmonkey35
07-16-2014, 09:51 AM
If you are shooting wax bullets your fine.

Most of the blank cases have a larger flash whole to allot for the pressure. So it don't blow the primer out of the pocket.

I'll take some pics of mine later today for example.

No live loads in them.

mcpilot
07-16-2014, 10:33 AM
OK.. I just got off of the phone with tech support at Starline..

The only difference is the size of the primer flash hole. All of the other case dimensions are the identical to the regular standard brass.

There was concern that if the cases were loaded "warm" or pushed to extreme, that there was a possibility of a primer piercing with gas release. The gasses would take the path of least resistance.

He did say that many people have loaded them with light loads over and over without any reported problems..

bangerjim
07-16-2014, 12:03 PM
I have drilled out about 50 standard 45LC's to use for HMG loading and I have put up to 2gn of a FAST powder in there with no primer push-back. Just gives the HMG boolit a little more kick. Still not much louder than slamming a couple of big text books together.

I used a heavy paper disc (HF gasket punch set) to hold the powder back against the primer with great success.

banger

Malamute
08-01-2014, 11:47 PM
A friend had a commercial reloading operation. When the Win-Clean ammo came out, they started to see brass with larger flash holes in 38 spl and 9mm I believe. He called Winchester to see what was up and if they were OK to use for regular loads. They said they were fine, the holes were bigger because of the leadfree primers worked better, and shouldn't cause a problem with the loads he was using.

claudesapp
08-02-2014, 10:58 AM
I recently picked up a 45 Colt RBH, and some used brass to get started. Had no idea about "blank brass" until I bought this gun, so I culled through the fired brass I had to look for larger flash holes, and visually it looked like some of the Starline brass had larger holes. I read the flash holes for the blank brass was .140 so I used a 1/8" drill bit as a gauge to make sure the brass I had was not for blanks, none were.