PDA

View Full Version : Lee Breech press???

azcoyhunter
01-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I like the theory of this press.

But, why not go to turret?

Is this a good press?

Is this like comapring apples to apples?

Clint

Ben
01-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Clint:

What exactly is a Lee Breech Press ?

I don't think Lee uses that terminology on their Web site ?

454PB
01-22-2008, 01:24 AM
I think he's talking about the new Lee "breech lock" system that allows for die quick changes, similar to the Hornady lock n load. It's basically an interupted thread that allows installation and removal with a 90 degree twist of the die.

There must be a reason for this other than selling new and more equipment, but I can't think of one that interests me. The Lee turret presses allow me to change an entire set of dies with the same amount of movement.

Ben
01-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Ok......I see.
Yes the Breech Lock.

Ben

dromia
01-22-2008, 02:50 AM
I've found the Hornady LnL system to be of use for some die sets.

Lee
01-22-2008, 03:40 AM
454PB nailed it. My humble opinion is it's just a gimmick to boost sales. I use a turret press, and for $8 each, I can fill a turret with each caliber I want. Then it's just a 1/2 turn and pop in another turret(which is already set up for the last style/dimension caliber you reloaded.
Honestly, I'm not sure I would spring for the breech block gizmo even if I was just starting out, and was buying my 1st press. (Locking nuts for each die, will allow a single stage press die to return to almost the exact same place it was the last time. I suspect locking nuts would be cheaper than breech block gizmos...)
And I think you need a bigger(read more expensive) press to accomodate the breech block adapter??? Prices gentlemen, prices. I'm as cheap as they come, and Lee stuff usually fills the bill. But I repeat, I can't think of a good use for the breech block system, versus a turret setup..........................Lee:wink:

1hole
01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I have turret press but don't use it anymore. Tried the LNL breech lock and have no interest in owning one. Both systems are gimmicks for non-issues to me. They are a very little bit faster - once each die is set up and locked - but neither is instanteanous so the question is, "How much time is saved?"

I batch process my brass on a single stage press. It takes me maybe 15 seconds to swap a screw-in die, perhaps a bit less than half that to rotate a turret or insert the LNL dies - time saved is maybe 15 seconds with a two die set and 20 seconds with a three die set. For an hour of loading, that's just not much of an issue to me.

Back when I only loaded for a single cartridge, the turret was left set up and it seemed faster than it was. As I added cartridges I had to change dies each time anyway, and then I started removing the dies to clean them before each use. I soon realized that the turret wasn't really a time saver but the additional press flex was a small disadvantage for consistancy (the turret HAS to be loose enough to allow it to rotate!). The LNL is a little slower than twisting the turret so there is no advantage to either for me.

I'll stick to conventional screw-in dies.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
azcoyhunter,

Because Lee chose to make the breech lock for their aluminum press rather than the Lee Classic cast press, it's hard to recommend it. If I wanted a quick die change system on a good single stage press, I would buy the Lee Classic Cast press, then upgrade it with a Hornady LnL Conversion set for their Lock N Load bushings.

I have the Lee Classic Cast single stage press with the Hornady LnL bushing conversion installed and use it now for all my single stage work. Excellent press and adding the LnL bushings allowed me to change my dies instantly with ZERO adjustments, thereby making using this single stage a very pleasant experience when I need a single stage.

Regards,

Dave

454PB
01-22-2008, 02:01 PM
I've seen people talk about "press flex" with the Lee turrets before. Yes, the turrets do need some clearance to rotate, but their movement upwards is limited by the steel turret holder. If the turret is moved upwards enough by press handle pressure to cause any inaccuracy in the resulting ammo, it is because something is loose in the supports, or you are bending the turret. That would take thousands of pounds of pressure, and I can't imagine why anyone would need to apply that much.

I have about 12 sets of dies mounted in my Lee turrets, and I really like the fact that I can change an entire set and pull the handle within 5 seconds.

azcoyhunter
01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
My problem,

When I finally get a die setup exactly right, I do not want to change calibers.

I then eventually have to bite the Bullet (no pun intended)

And resetup my dies again.

It looks good on paper.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar142.htm

Clint

ozbornm
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I have some they work good. I have been happy with them but you can buy turrets for what a set of them costs.