PDA

View Full Version : Lachmiller Shotshell Press and Dies

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-14-2014, 09:56 PM
I inherited this from my father-in-law. A press and three sets of dies, one each for 12, 20, and 28 gauge. Unless they turn out to have a high collectors value, I'll eventually use them to load shotshell slugs, buckshot, and round ball. Has anyone ever used such a setup? Am I on track or asking for headaches?

salpal48
07-14-2014, 10:14 PM
The lachmiller is a very good and heavy machine. I had one some time ago. the only thing is the shell holders . They will fit herters Originals and adaptors. You will have to prime sep. with the primer seater but again some shell holder will take herters. i found the new snap in of today have a small primer hole and the one I had the rod will not go through to seat the new primer. I don't know if that's will all or the older one I had. also the primer rod is non universal to rifle and pistol
also the bushing is missing to load rifle unless you have it . the one I had , the bushing was there. again I don't know if any other is compatible. I have seen them on ebay, the get between $40-$50 . you have some dies maybe a little more. . I'm not a shotgun guy . to me they would be useless. But it is a very good machine but you will have to put some money into it
Sal

troyboy
07-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Use it. If you don't like it, sell it. At least that way you know if it does or doesn't work for you.

salpal48
07-15-2014, 12:17 PM
I inherited this from my father-in-law. A press and three sets of dies, one each for 12, 20, and 28 gauge. Unless they turn out to have a high collectors value, I'll eventually use them to load shotshell slugs, buckshot, and round ball. Has anyone ever used such a setup? Am I on track or asking for headaches?
If your interested in selling it @ a later date . i would be interested in getting another to replace the one i sold
Sal

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
After looking over this setup while cleaning it up, I've decided I'll sell it. It looks like a lot of work to switch dies for the different loading functions. I have a Texan DP-2 that you move the shell manually from station to station that I will use for slugs and buckshot. The die sets appear to be complete except for a decapping pin in the 28 ga box, but a pin from the 12 or 20 ga set will work. There is some surface rust on some of the die parts, but it can be cleaned up and used. The Lachmiller priming tool for metallic cartridges in the photo is not included.

I want to sell the press and all the dies together. Does anyone know the value of this? I have no idea.

W.R.Buchanan
07-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Don't know on the value but I also have a nice set of 12 ga dies. There are actually three different die bodies, yours appears to be a version that has one die body and three sets of innards for each ga.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
07-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Don't know on the value but I also have a nice set of 12 ga dies. There are actually three different die bodies, yours appears to be a version that has one die body and three sets of innards for each ga.

These tools will allow you to reload Shotgun shells,,, You just aren't going to do it very fast.

I think mine were designed to be used on a Hollywood Turret press. At least that way you could load one hull from beginning to end.

Still,,, much better ways to do it now. Tools from days gone by.

Randy

salpal48
07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
After looking over this setup while cleaning it up, I've decided I'll sell it. It looks like a lot of work to switch dies for the different loading functions. I have a Texan DP-2 that you move the shell manually from station to station that I will use for slugs and buckshot. The die sets appear to be complete except for a decapping pin in the 28 ga box, but a pin from the 12 or 20 ga set will work. There is some surface rust on some of the die parts, but it can be cleaned up and used. The Lachmiller priming tool for metallic cartridges in the photo is not included.

I want to sell the press and all the dies together. Does anyone know the value of this? I have no idea.

Pm sent to you