PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Light Charges from Dillon Powder Measure

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-14-2014, 09:12 PM
When I try to use the Dillon small powder measure bar, I still get large variations. I'm talking about trying for 4.5 gr Red Dot or 5.0 gr Green Dot. Going for 6 gr of HS-6 helped, but the variation was still as much as 5.8 - 6.2. I work to try to be as consistent as possible to keep the machine vibration consistent. Do others have trouble with light charges like me? I'm getting ready to do some .380 ACP, where I usually use 2.5 gr of Red Dot, and I'm wondering if I need to use another powder measure other than the Dillon.

VHoward
07-14-2014, 11:25 PM
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23601/catid/3/Dillon_X_Small_Powder_Bar
That is Dillons extra small powder bar. Have you tried it? I haven't had any trouble with consistancy with my Dillon powder measures.

jmorris
07-14-2014, 11:45 PM
I have thrown charges as light as 2.8g of clays with the standard "small" Dillon bar without problems.

Four tenths is way too much variation with HS-6 at 5.8 with a small bar, is your failsafe rod set to return the bar fully and the funnel set to make sure the bar is flush with the measure housing when charging?

runfiverun
07-15-2014, 12:14 AM
re-look at your set-up
I drop 3.1 grs of red-dot and 3.7 grs of 231 with a couple of mine, i quit trying to weigh them for fluctuations that mattered after about 20 straight drops.

Love Life
07-15-2014, 12:20 AM
What the others said.

dudel
07-15-2014, 08:23 AM
I get very good results dropping small charges of Bullseye, Red Dot and Unique with the small charge bar. I did polish the funnels (inside and out) to reduce sticking (of both the powder and the case neck).

Do you have high static in your reloading area? If so, you might want to ground the press or wipe the powder dump down with an anti-static cloth.

Moonman
07-15-2014, 08:25 AM
If all else fails check out Uniquetek.com

Look for Dillon equipment enhancements. then

Arredondo powder drop slide with micrometer ($105).

but they work great.

Petrol & Powder
07-15-2014, 08:34 AM
I've never had that much variation with a Dillon measure. As others have said, I would check the setup and make sure it's returning to the fully closed position. I have the fail safe rod set so that the spring compresses slightly when the operating handle is fully forward (up).

Moonman
07-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Setting the FAIL SAFE ROD,

Push handle all the way forward as you would to seat a primer,

Look at the adjuster/spring on the bottom of the rod,

it should BE COMPRESSED 1/2 WAY.

Check to make sure the SMALL WHITE PLASTIC SQUARE is still
in its slot on the side of the measure.

Static Electricity in your reloading area?????

Sometimes THERE ARE DAYS THAT IT IS BEST "NOT TO RELOAD."

Rattlesnake Charlie
07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm using the extra-small bar. I failed to clarify that in my original post. I believe the fail safe rod is set correctly per the instructions and all tips above, but I'll double check that again when I set up for the .380 ACP. I know the bar is full stroke both ways. I may polish the inside of the funnel per above tip. If problems continue, I'll try grounding the press.

Thanks for all the tips, and especially that this problem should not be occurring.