PDA

View Full Version : 375 win light

runfiverun
01-21-2008, 11:42 PM
has anyone tried 375-supermag in thier 375 win

i tried it yesterday ithink i will try it again tomorrow
just got the scope on the marlin today to see if the p.o.i. is very different
i will try it at 50 yds.
the 375 shorts seem to shoot about like a 44 as the pressures are about the same with the horn 220 f.p. j bullit
i am going to work with with this as an short range deer gun and short range elk gun same gun bullets just more powder column
sounds like black powder in reverse?

any suggestions on bullet diameter to start with in microgroove barrell

thanks
runfiverun

runfiverun
01-22-2008, 08:21 PM
weeeeell tried the scope today
could not get enough down in the adjustment to make a good comparison
however groups at 50 yds could be best described as one ragged hole with 75 long
shot shorts at 35 yards freehand there is some promise here
will take scope over to friend tomorrow maybe change scope mounts ?
this is showing some promise here

also shot new 92 with cast thought it would need some tweaking but it loved the load i developed for my moms rifle
good 1" groups at 50 yd was going to shoot at 100 but the 18" of snow was way deeper than my boots.
runfiverun

JSH
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Like shooting a 38 in a 357 chamber some what. I shot the 38's in the sons marlin 357. It showed pretty good promise. After about 20 rounds things went bad. Patterns rather than groups. Just as I suspected, lead and lube build up because of the long jump to the throat. I cleaned that mess up and shot a couple hundred rounds of 357 loads through it. Grouped just as good and stayed that way. I did foul it again with 38's when we went squirrel hunting this last fall. I need to get that cleaned out and ready for spring.

I have used 375 brass and formed 30-30 brass in my 375. I am on the low end of loads, but have never seen any brass problems. I think using a 38-55 load would give you the same effect as you are getting with the cut down brass? That would also keep you from gunking up the chamber.
Jeff

runfiverun
01-26-2008, 12:29 AM
thought about doing the lower load but wont be shooting many of these just wanted to try
them for heavy cover areas
iwill probably carry the handgun and rifle on same hunt and wanted to make sure that ammo is compatible just in case
[my bro-in-law really likes to leave things on hoods]
anybody in pocatello buying a 68 travelall will get about 200 45 colt once fired brass if he wants to find that rattle in the fenders

and since i already spent the time cutting brass and developing loads i thoudht that i would
share any data that i could acquire

plus i think thai i can develop a fairly heavy boolit
with the short case [around 280-300gr] around 1100 fps or so that will
be accurate and consistant year round that ishould be able to use on just about anything
that i am likely to run into here in idaho
maybe even buffalo

Four Fingers of Death
01-26-2008, 03:37 AM
I would have to agree with JSH, it would be easier to use 38/55 loads, but I suppose if you have the brass, they would be good for plinkers and round ball loads, etc, pot a bunny while out elk hunting sort of stuff.

I only ever shoot 38s in my 586 and my Rossi 92 clone, I never had any problems that a good scrub wouldn't fix.