PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I get to ring out the 10/22 build

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-14-2014, 03:03 PM
With my wife having some medical issues, including the loss of most of her eye sight, I have had a barely shot, tricked out 10/22 sitting in the corner for MONTHS!

Don't think I have been out to shoot in about 9 months, but thanks to a young friend coming in to keep to wife company I finally made it out this past Saturday.

I HATE hot weather and it was in the mid 90s, but take what I can get and put about 200 rounds through the rifle, testing 8 different match/target products and 4 "off the Shelf" verities.

The, "ain't going to touch it" - ya, like that wasn't going to happen - rifle preforms very well. Not one malfunction during the session, the rifle feeding and extracting both the standard and high velocity products without hesitation.

The rifle I wasn't going to touch, well I like good triggers, so in went a Timney trigger group and while in there in went an after market extractor and bolt buffer, then Feddersen had a "free" shipping offer on their reasonably priced and quality barrels so off went the order for the 16.25" - .920 fluted barrel which then required another stock.

Found a used Fajen laminated stock for a .920 barrel and after some modifications I dropped the barreled action into place.

With the limited and rather rushed testing I squeezed in last Summer I though I had a winner in hand, something which was confirmed during the session this past Saturday.

There are a bunch of things the fellows on Rimfire Central would want done which I haven't, such as a redone bolt, a special barrel to action block that is said to reduce stress and torque on the barrel as well as bedding, but think I'll be just fine as is for the present.

Was pleased to see the High Velocity CCI an Winchester Super X hitting almost the same point of impact that the match/target standard velocity printed at the 50yd shooting distance.

If anyone is looking for a replacement 10/22 barrel, you might check out the quality Feddersen products. Really nice people who are willing to talk and answer questions.

I have a Clark Custom 77/22 with a .920 Walther barrel and the rifle is HEAVY. Shoots great but is heavy!

On the, wasn't going to touch it rifle, the short barrel along with the shortened and modified Fajen stock make a very nice and compact rifle much easier to handle then the CRuger.

Guess you could say I'm impressed with the results!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

35remington
07-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Any pictures or group sizes you can show us? How good is really good in your testing?

The term "to wring something out" is related to "putting something through the wringer" which is the old fashioned, crank operated clothes "processor" that squeezed the water out of the (usually) hand washed item between closely spaced rollers. When you "put something through the wringer" or if you "wring something out" you're really giving it the test. Just thought you might like to know there's a "w" in the term.

http://p2.la-img.com/170/11050/2723484_1_l.jpg

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Thank you for catching that error.

Guess it's nice that some folk like to spend time in the dictionary. Others of us should have.

I can easily take the images, my problem is getting them posted to a forum!

So, saying that, and without some to help to post the images, I'll say that with 8 different match/target ammos shot for 24 groups, except for one first shot flier at a change from one ammo to another, all groups were sub 1".

The groups with one exception were all 5 shot and I shot 3 - 5 shot groups before switching to another ammo brand/type.

The groups were as follows for the 125rounds 1 - 3/16", 1 - 1/4", 1 - 5/16", 5 - 3/8", 4 - 7/16, 1 - 1/2", 2 - 9/16", 5 - 5/8", 1 - 11/16", 1 - 3/4" and 2 - 13/16".

In case your counting, there was one 10 shot group when I lost count. Shot with the old Federal Gold medal Ultra Match. The other 2 groups of that series were 9/16 for 4 shots and 7/16" for 5 shots.

That 4 shot group was due to a first shot flier after a change of ammo. That first shot went low and left, out of the group by 2 1/4"

That 1st shot flier was at the change from Remington Match EPS Eley to the Fed. Gold Medal Ultra Match.

That Fed. ammo by the way, is the product Federal made for the Olympics some years back and not the more recent product with a similar name.

I didn't see the oft talked about need to "season" a .22 rimfire barrel, only seeing 2 shots which went wide at an ammo change. The second was in the change from CCI Mini Mag solids to Winchester Super X Power Point where the first shot of that series went low and right out of the group by 1 1/4".

Yesterday I found and printed some better targets which should make it much easier to hold aim point then with the 2" black square I used during this past session.

If I, in fact am able to get out again this next Friday, I will likely reshoot some of the same ammos already tested as well as a number of other products as yet untested in this rifle.

My stash of match/target ammo, purchased when I bought my Clark Custom 77/22 some years back, is getting depleted to the point that further testing may not be possible to any meaningful degree with some brands.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Forrest r
07-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Nice!!!

Building a 10/22 is well worth the time & effort, allot of fun and the different products out there and the different mods that can be done to them make them a dream to any shooter that wants to customize a rifle for there wants/needs.

I've read about the bbl your using, allot of good reports on them. Any idea what chamber they use in them? What kind of glass & scope mount/holes are you using on your 10/22 right now?

I built a 10/22 a couple years back, find shooting silhouettes or off-hand shooting in general relaxing. When I'm not shooting off-hand with it, I'm swatting flies from the bench.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/100_1089.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/100_1089.jpg.html)

Enjoy your 10/22 & get a good lot/case of ammo for it. Then you can really ring it out to get every last drop of enjoyment/accuracy out of it.:bigsmyl2:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I'm using a Leupold Rimfire 2X7 Scope. Would have liked another Leupold 3X9 "EFR" like I have on my Clark Custom 77/22, but didn't want to but out that much money at that point.

Thought about a more elaborate stock then the used Fajen that I redid, but Boyds didn't have quite what I wanted and Richard' Micro Fit just has too many negative comments for me to go that way.

Richards does have a couple colors that I wish Boyds had.

What is your glass?

CDOC

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Forest r,

Sorry, didn't answer some of your questions.

Scope mount is just a standard no frills grooved mount with the 4 screws, then as I recall, Weaver rings.

The Feddersen chamber -------- Can't say, but Fred seems good about answering questions, so contact with them should get you that info.

I'm assuming it must be fairly tight, as one time during this recent session I wanted to remove a loaded cartridge and the extractor didn't want to bring the loaded round out of the chamber.

I just shot it out, but possibly the chamber/throat is tight enough to slightly engrave the bullet.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Forrest r
07-15-2014, 08:23 PM
Hopefully you get more time to enjoy your new build, it's good you're there for your family. Sounds like a pretty tight chamber, good. Tight chambers are easier to match ammo up with.

I use higher powered scopes on my 22's. That scope is a 8x32, use 20x for silhouettes & 32 for swatting flies.

enjoy

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-15-2014, 08:53 PM
I'd like to test a quality higher power scope, but once I found how well it shot, would likely go back to the smaller glass with the lighter weight.

CDOC