PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Press-type Primer Pocket Swager

Bayou52
07-14-2014, 10:57 AM
I've got one of these press-type swage dies, but am getting no results in that the primer pockets simply don't open up. I've got the swager set up correctly, and I'm pressing the cases on the swager head until there's a solid cam-over. The cases can't be pressed any harder. But the brasses simply don't stick to the swager head, and the primer pockets don't open. It's as if the swage head tip is too narrow.

I've contacted RCBS and they sent me replacement swage heads- still no results. I described my procedure to the RCBS rep who said my set up and use of the tool was spot on.

This is the first RCBS tool that has disappointed me.

Can anyone share their experience using this tool/swage die? Any luck with yours?

Johnny_V
07-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Not to sound sarcastic, but do you have the correct size swager (large or small) installed???

Bayou52
07-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Not to sound sarcastic, but do you have the correct size swager (large or small) installed???

Yep, sure do. The whole set up and use procedure is correct. Just not getting opened primer pockets. In fact, with one or two exceptions, the brasses don't stick to the swage head. The full pocket military crimps simply aren't opening up.

You're having luck with yours?

DeputyDog25
07-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Yep, sure do. The whole set up and use procedure is correct. Just not getting opened primer pockets. In fact, with one or two exceptions, the brasses don't stick to the swage head. The full pocket military crimps simply aren't opening up.

You're having luck with yours?

I don't have the press mounted setup, but actually just bought one here on the forum although have not received it yet, but I did have one of the bench mount RCBS units and it was just plain junk. Regardless of how I set it up and after many hours on the phone with RCBS, I could never get it to work correctly. I have a CH brand priming/swaging combo kit that works very well, but I need an old "O" style press to use it, which I am currently looking for in the want to buy ads here. I hope the one I bought here on the forum works, and I will subscribe to this thread and let you know if mine works or not after I get it and set it up.

454PB
07-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I've used one for many years on both large and small primer pockets and it works perfectly. Any chance this brass has already been swaged? Have you tried seating a primer after swaging?

Janoosh
07-14-2014, 11:33 AM
I have the same problem with nato 308 brass...after swaging I use a chamfer tool to slightly bevel the primer pocket.

Bayou52
07-14-2014, 12:21 PM
I've used one for many years on both large and small primer pockets and it works perfectly. Any chance this brass has already been swaged? Have you tried seating a primer after swaging?

Yes, I have tried that, and that's what tells me the full military crimped pockets aren't opening up - the primers still won't insert without significant resistance.

I think what I'll do is run a couple of cases will full crimped pockets thru the swager. At that point, I'll mail both the swage head and the cases back to RCBS so their tech guy can mic the specs of the swage head and cases. Maybe they came up with something. Not sure what else to do with this swager set-up.

As it stands now, this swage die is virtually useless... I still have to ream the primer pockets which I was hoping to avoid by using the swage die, like Janoosh described in the previous post.

Hope y'all have better luck!

DeputyDog25
07-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes, I have tried that, and that's what tells me the full military crimped pockets aren't opening up - the primers still won't insert without significant resistance.

I think what I'll do is run a couple of cases will full crimped pockets thru the swager. At that point, I'll mail both the swage head and the cases back to RCBS so their tech guy can mic the specs of the swage head and cases. Maybe they came up with something. Not sure what else to do with this swager set-up.

As it stands now, this swage die is virtually useless... I still have to ream the primer pockets which I was hoping to avoid by using the swage die, like Janoosh described in the previous post.

Hope y'all have better luck!

Bayou52, I would really be interested in knowing what RCBS tells you if you send the swager and cases in for them to look at. As I stated in my previous post, I just purchased one from a member here and I have not received it yet, but when I do, I have about 2000 pcs of LC brass to try it out on.

Bayou52
07-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Bayou52, I would really be interested in knowing what RCBS tells you if you send the swager and cases in for them to look at. As I stated in my previous post, I just purchased one from a member here and I have not received it yet, but when I do, I have about 2000 pcs of LC brass to try it out on.

DeputyDog25 -

I'll let everyone know what RCBS has to say when I mail in the swage head and brasses. I'll need to get some more full pocket military crimped brasses, as I've reamed all the ones I had.

In the meantime, when your swage die comes in, after you set it up and give it try-out, maybe you can post your results? I hope your swager adequately opens up those full military primer pocket crimps.

Bayou52

OuchHot!
07-14-2014, 03:25 PM
You got me! I bought mine 20 or more years ago and used it on lots of NATO brass with no problems. Maybe someone changed a specification.......Dillon has a bench top pocket swage that lots of people speak highly of.

fguffey
07-14-2014, 03:38 PM
I would match case head thickness from the top of the cup above the web and case herd,

F. Guffey

trixter
07-14-2014, 03:54 PM
I've got one of these press-type swage dies, but am getting no results in that the primer pockets simply don't open up. I've got the swager set up correctly, and I'm pressing the cases on the swager head until there's a solid cam-over. The cases can't be pressed any harder. But the brasses simply don't stick to the swager head, and the primer pockets don't open. It's as if the swage head tip is too narrow.

I've contacted RCBS and they sent me replacement swage heads- still no results. I described my procedure to the RCBS rep who said my set up and use of the tool was spot on.

This is the first RCBS tool that has disappointed me.

Can anyone share their experience using this tool/swage die? Any luck with yours?

I purchased one a few years ago and after bending the first shaft for the small primers and RCBS replaced I read the directions very carefully and found I was applying too much pressure. When adjusted properly the pockets came out perfect every time. I've done over 2000 rounds of 223/556 Lake City mostly and various range pick-up. I love it. I will be interested in knowing what RCBS has to say when they diagnose your problem.

runfiverun
07-14-2014, 06:35 PM
the web thicknesses on the cases vary from lot to lot.
I found that out the hard way with some not swaged cases some perfectly swaged cases and then a bent rod.
I just got the Dillon years ago and have never needed to worry about it after that.

GrantA
07-14-2014, 11:42 PM
I recently got a CH setup, it's similar to the RCBS unit. In my searching for reviews online I read some comments about the newer production rcbs units being out of spec, too small perhaps which makes sense. If you want to try a different one I highly recommend the CH4d

dudel
07-15-2014, 08:30 AM
It works for me with LC .223 brass. Only problem I had was bending the threaded rod. Found replacements on eBay what were much sturdier. No problems since then. Any brass that sticks to the swage pin, is removed on the downstroke with cup that fits over the pin.

The pin should have a rounded profile that reshapes the crimp and leaves a rounded edge on the primer pocket. At least mine does.

If the brass isn't sticking to the swage pin, it seems like it's not making full contact. Can you try it without the cup that goes over the pin?

Bayou52
07-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Dudel -

I have the swager die with the hardened rods. The rod is screwed all the way into the die body, and the adjustment is made by screwing/unscrewing the die body itself. The die is set to where there is a strong cam-over, so there's no doubt the swage stud is inserted all way in. I've done as you've suggested, that is, swaged both with and without the stripper cup. I've mostly done 223s, and rarely does any brass even stick to the primer stud indicating that the crimped pockets aren't being forced wider open. However, I can see that that the brasses are all the way down and making contact with the swage head.

Someone else had mentioned that RCBS had a bad batch of these swage heads, and maybe this is one, although it is a recent replacement. The previous swage head did the same thing.

So, I simply haven't had any luck at all with this particular tool.

Bayou52

Maximumbob54
07-15-2014, 12:22 PM
I started with the RCBS press mounted tool and mil brass. I learned fast you MUST sort the brass with a critical eye. During the first run I bent the small primer rod. RCBS replaced it. The next batch I sorted and made sure they were all the same. Some of them were as you described and I just set those aside. And then the rod bent again anyways. RCBS replaced it again and reported they were now shipping them with upgraded rods. I put the new rods (they send one for large primers as well) back in the box and haven't opened it again since that time. That's when the Dillon Super Swage 600 entered the game. I don't even sort the brass anymore. It costs a lot more and is so worth every penny they ask for it. RCBS now makes a similar tool and I'm sorry but you would have to pry from my cold dead fingers to see if you could get at the Dillon SS600. And I think I would just turn zombie and bite at you for trying to take it.

captaint
07-15-2014, 12:51 PM
I bought the RCBS press mounted tool about a year ago. Did a bunch of 9mm WW Mil brass. Worked great..

Bayou52
07-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I've mailed the swage head a two brasses to RCBS for inspection. We'll see what they say.....

Mohavedog
07-20-2014, 05:37 PM
I recently went through similiar issues with the RCBS press mounted swager. I first used it to swage 2000 LC 5.56 brass without any issues. The small swager left a nice rounded chamfer at the entrance to the pocket and was perfect. I then attempted to swage some LC 12 7.62 brass and wasn't getting the nice rounded entrance to the pocket like I saw with the 5.56. I kept lowering the die and I never got the nice chamfer and eventually bent the rod into a severe "s" shape. RCBS replaced the rod and the large pocket die. The new pocket die was exactly like the old one. I finally figured out the the large pocket die doesn't leave the rounded entrance to the pocket but the pocket is swaged and a primer seats just fine. Just be careful and only swage until a primer will seat and you should be good to go. BTW, my set is at least 10 years old. Mohavedog

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-21-2014, 06:39 AM
I am not a Dillon fan in general, but their swager is the one to buy. Get rid of the RCBS and get the Dillon and your frustrations will be gone.

JASON4X4
07-21-2014, 10:33 AM
I bought the rcbs kit but never used it. It looked like it would take too long to use so I bought the Dillon swager which is the only Dillon equipment I own. I love it fast and easy.

Bayou52
07-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I am not a Dillon fan in general, but their swager is the one to buy. Get rid of the RCBS and get the Dillon and your frustrations will be gone.

Curious - does the Dillon swager swage both pistol and rifle brass?