PDA

View Full Version : loading black powder data: by weight or measure ?

danyboy
07-13-2014, 08:04 PM
I am new to black powder reloading for center fire cartridges. Always loaded smokeless powder before but never black powder . When you have some black powder charge data, is it by weight or measure ?

chill45100
07-13-2014, 08:32 PM
When loading for BPCR I weigh the charges for uniformity. Usually that roughly equates to the same volume. Just my experience, others may have different input.
If I may ask what cartridge are you loading for? What area are you in please. Someone on the forum may be close by.
chill45100

danyboy
07-13-2014, 10:05 PM
I would load it for my Mauser 71/84. Been loading it with smokeless ever since I got it 10 years ago and guys at the range always suggested I should try it out with black powder, what it was really designed for. I know muzzle loading often worked with volume measuring but wasn't sure when it came to load data for rifle centerfire cartridges. I will go with weight measure and reduce the load when using black powder substitute like I read in some books. I live north of the border. Thanks for the tip.

country gent
07-13-2014, 11:12 PM
WHat I do to start out with a new cartridge is Assemble a dymmy round and figure the depth the bullet is in the case from the case mouth. Theen fill a case with black powder to be used to that depth, and wiegh it in my scales. This gives me the starting point with no air space and light compression on the powder. I use a card wad between powder and bullet to protect powder from lube and also to protect the bullet base. This wad can be card board wax milk cartoon gasket material felt. I start here and work up in 1 grain increments changing nothing else in the load. This gives a change in powder and compression together. Black powder shoots much cleaner and consistent with some compression on it. Keep in mind with modern cases a 45-70 and modern black powders may only hold around 65-68 grns of 2 f powder. Modern cases are a little heavier and solid head. Keep good notes and all details wrote down and work thru, It may surprise you what you end up with.

danyboy
07-14-2014, 08:09 AM
WHat I do to start out with a new cartridge is Assemble a dymmy round and figure the depth the bullet is in the case from the case mouth. Theen fill a case with black powder to be used to that depth, and wiegh it in my scales. This gives me the starting point with no air space and light compression on the powder. I use a card wad between powder and bullet to protect powder from lube and also to protect the bullet base. This wad can be card board wax milk cartoon gasket material felt. I start here and work up in 1 grain increments changing nothing else in the load. This gives a change in powder and compression together. Black powder shoots much cleaner and consistent with some compression on it. Keep in mind with modern cases a 45-70 and modern black powders may only hold around 65-68 grns of 2 f powder. Modern cases are a little heavier and solid head. Keep good notes and all details wrote down and work thru, It may surprise you what you end up with.

Did you ever use black powder substitute instead of the real stuff (cause this is what I had in mind) ? If so, should I reduce the charge or should I fill the case just the same ?

John Boy
07-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Danyboy, measure the distance of a seated bullet. Measure the distance of a filled case with Fg or FFg powder so the height of the powder column will touch the base of a seated bullet

Then weigh the powder or make a dipper that fills the dipper to the lip. Makes no difference weighing or dipping because BP is a weak powder and a half grain difference is immaterial.

Pour the weighed or dipped powder into the case - seat the bullet - go to the range and have fun

country gent
07-14-2014, 09:33 AM
I have worked with sudstitutes very very little. Most say in thier data if they are loaded by wieght or volumne and what percentage of which to use. I have found true black powder easier to work with and its easier ti clean than some as the substitutes foulings can be harder to remove. Some I believe ( pyrodex) are loded to the same volumne as black but a diffrent wieght ( this is due to powder density) So a dipper made for black will interchange.

danyboy
07-14-2014, 09:42 AM
All wright folks. Thanks a lot for the info. Gives me a good start.

M-Tecs
07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
If you are going to use a sub the only one I recommend is Blackhorn 209. http://www.blackhorn209.com/

http://randywakeman.com/GettingtheMostOutofBlackhorn209.htm

Some what pricy but it works as claimed.

country gent
07-14-2014, 11:18 AM
My shooting partner uses Blackhorn 209 in his 45-70 and 40-65 shillouette rifles with good results, It is pricey but does make accurate ammo.

Harry Eales
07-16-2014, 06:26 AM
The one good thing about Black Powder is you cannot overload a charge in a cartridge case. Even filling to the top of the case and then compressing it won't blow your firearm up. You may of course be wasting powder. Try shooting over an old white bed sheet, you will be amazed at how much unburned powder there is present. Collect it and weight it and then reduce your charged by that amount, that way your not wasting powder, it's too expensive as it is.

Harry

StrawHat
07-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Here is some info on loading the 43 Mauser.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=750&magid=56

wills
07-17-2014, 08:49 PM
All this “load by weight or by volume” stuff does is confuse people. Ignore this.

Determine your powder charge by scooping up a case levelfull of powder.

Determine how much powder this is.

The easy way to do this is weigh it.

Adjust your powder measure to throw this much powder.

It should be the same volume of powder if you do this all atone time. The powder should not absorb enoughmoisture during your loading session that the weight of a given volume ofpowder changes.

Owen49
08-10-2014, 08:49 AM
The one good thing about Black Powder is you cannot overload a charge in a cartridge case. Even filling to the top of the case and then compressing it won't blow your firearm up. You may of course be wasting powder. Try shooting over an old white bed sheet, you will be amazed at how much unburned powder there is present. Collect it and weight it and then reduce your charged by that amount, that way your not wasting powder, it's too expensive as it is.

Harry
Yeah, what he said.