PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for starting out?

walker_creek
07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Hi all,
I've been wanting to start casting my own bullets for awhile. I've been trying to pick up used equipment, but other than an RCBS furnace, I haven't had any luck. I cast my own roundballs for blackpowder, but I've yet to cast a bullet for cartridges.

Since I've decided to go ahead and by new equipment, what mold brand would you recommend. I want to stick with one brand if possible so I can save on handles, etc.

I'll be casting 230RN for 45ACP, 250RNFP for 45LC, some kind of RN or RNFP for 32H&R Mag, and eventually, I have hopes to get a Quigley style Sharps in 45-110.

What brand would be my best bet?

CastingFool
07-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Since you're just starting out, I would recommend Lee molds. They are made out of aluminum, are relatively inexpensive, give good results for the most part, and handles are included in each mold. I would venture to say a lot of guys here use Lee molds. Quite often you can use the boolits as cast, so you don't have to buy sizing dies. JMO CF.

DeputyDog25
07-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, we are glad you found us, sit down, pull up a cup of coffee and shoot the bull. I won't make any recommendations since I am a Newb at casting myself, just wanted to give you a warm welcome. This is the best sight on the internet in my humble opinion, no finer people will you find anywhere is what I have found out.

Buzz64
07-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Lee for price then NOE. MiHec if you have months to wait and more $ than you need - BUT they are really nice molds!

el34
07-13-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm another Lee vote. And by far the 6-cavity where available. You have to buy a set of handles, about $11, but can use one pair on other 6-cavities as well as NOE and other brands of molds.

The sixers are great because of the production rate and no need to whack the sprue cutter.

mold maker
07-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the madness.
How deep are your pockets? Most every caster has or has had LEE molds. Many use only LEE Molds. Still others have sworn at and off LEE molds.
Given the cost savings and many older BGs I have and use over 3 doz LEEs. But I also have about a doz MP molds and the same from NOE along with many iron molds. Been adding to them since 1962.
Each mold type and brand has it's own features and all can produce top quality boolits in every shape and size.
Don't limit yourself to any brand. Likewise don't eliminate any mold material.
LEE 6 cav handles either fit, or can be modified to fit, almost any mold, and can be bought on sale for around $12-$16. each. You can swap handles among your molds, so not many are needed.

GhostHawk
07-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Lee for starters for sure, but do take the time to read those directions and comprehend them fully.

They are reasonably priced but they are just aluminum.

I've got the lee full suite, hand press, sizing kit, and dies with no real problems at all.
I'm casting and loading for a pair of Mosins in 7.62x54r, a Yugo SKS in 7.62x39, and someday a CZ-52 in you guessed it, 7.62 x 25.

I guess I should change my handle to 7.62guy

flyingmonkey35
07-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I recommend the Lee molds

Since your looking at lots of diffent bullet types id go with the 2 cavaty Lee molds.

20 bucks a mold includes Handel's

If you find yourself casting a ton of one type of boolit get a 6 banger or a top of the line mold.

I cast .452 swc 200gn for 45 auto 45 lc.

I highly recommend getting the Lee sizing dies.

So
45 bucks per boolit type give or take.

Next up LUBE!!

This will determine the type of cast bullet you ate doing.

Traditional lube groove
Tumble lube
Powdercoat

You can tumble lube 45/45/10 both types of boolits.
You can PC both types

You CANT pan lube tumble boolits.

Fun fun fun

500MAG
07-13-2014, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't try to stay to one brand. There are too many different styles by too many makers to stick to one fit me. As the others have said, I would start with Lee.

dromia
07-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Well I don't agree with the consensus on getting a Lee mould.

If cost isn't too much of an issue then I would recommend that you start with an NOE mould, Lee's moulds are a bit of a pig in a poke quality wise and almost always need fettling. However if you get one that works then they can cast boolits as good as any other mould.

When starting casting there is enough going on and things to watch and learn without the added complication of struggling with a mould as well. A quality mould from NOE, Accurate or any mould maker with good quality control. Once you have learned casting and have had the pleasure of producing good boolits then you can move onto the challenges of Lee moulds equipped with knowledge and confidence to know whether it is the mould that is the issue or not if the boolits are not coming out well.

NOE for instance have moulds in stock ready to ship, so no waiting times.

walker_creek
07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry, I left out another detail. I had already ruled out Lee strictly because of the micro groove. I'm not always going to have time to cast, so I want to be able to cast the same bullets I'm currently buying. I know this means I'll need a heated lube etc...Also, when I started reloading years ago I started with all Lee equipment. It didn't take long before I had a bench full of green and blue stuff and the Lee stuff thrown out. I'm willing to spend more up front to keep from having to spend money twice.

twc1964
07-14-2014, 10:44 AM
All lee molds are not micro groove. they have normal lube groove designs also. i use a lee 6 cav and 2 cav. the two cav worked perfect out of the box but the 6 cav took a bit of tinkering. i buy lee because my wife might shoot me if i bought an 80.00 mold. i started casting to shoot more and cheaper so lee is the way i go. ymmv

Yodogsandman
07-14-2014, 10:52 AM
+1 with dromia and +1 for you, too. Quality molds are a lifetime investment. Get some experience with a quality mold first. Lee molds can be a PITA. Second hand, quality molds are fairly common. Most casters treasure their molds and care for they're molds very well so, there's not normally a lot of bad ones being sold. RCBS and Lyman molds are very economical as a lifetime investments. Many molds can be used for multiple firearms. I do own some Lee molds but, I use them for less serious work like plinking. Sometimes, I've felt like I needed a PHD in Lee.

el34
07-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Interesting spread of opinion on Lee molds. I have two NOE, seven Lee, five Lees are 6ers. I will gladly buy another 6er if I want one, I can truly report I've never had any trouble that I was aware of with them. I learned to keep the sprue cutter screw tight, no other learning curve adventures other than realizing the need to find the happy alloy temp and rough guess at the mold temp that makes it all click. I don't smoke them or anything aimed at releasing boolits.

And I really like the 6er sprue cutter. No picking up the banger bat so one less part of the cycle. With gloved hands I pull the sprue cutter just far enough to separate the sprue, turn the mold over to drop the sprue in my hand, and return it to the pot. Minimal heat loss and slower drop in pot level.

A strange fact is the disappointment I get when I realize that in just one 3-4 hour casting session I've made all the boolits in that caliber I will use in months. That sucks so I'm trying to invent a reason to cast more.

runfiverun
07-14-2014, 11:59 PM
rcbs makes molds too.
they are good molds.
they only come in 2 cavity's [only downside to them]
they are top notch and the best production molds out there for the price and quality.
your other option seeing as how you want to stick to the boolit styles you already have been using is here.
http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/FBMar092011b.pdf
http://www.magmaengineering.com/bullet-molds/

this is where you get the same lube and stuff to size them with, to make exactly the same as store boughts.
mayco can supply the 2/6 alloy.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-17-2014, 12:25 PM
If you tend to be heavy handed, do not use Lee molds. If you're easy on equipment and tools, get the Lee molds, preferably the six gang molds. Start with the Lee standard offerings, then go to the NOE specialty group buy molds if Lee doesn't make what you want. Don't forget the mold handles for the six gang molds. You don't need handles for every mold. A couple will do for several molds generally.

Get some outboard motor two cycle motor oil to lube the mold hinges, etc. Works good.

Hope this helps,

Dave

shooter93
07-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Lee has it's place although I don't use them. Their cost is attractive. As Lamar said there is nothing wrong with RCBS or certain Lyman molds. If you're getting into this for the long haul and are thinking of casting large amounts of bullets for many years and like great equipment then look to the small makers here. For a perfect mold in iron, alum, or brass look at Accurate Molds. Tom makes perfect stuff and you'll have it in a couple weeks not months.

jmort
07-18-2014, 06:53 PM
I have Lee Precision, NOE, MiHec, Accurate, RCBS, H2M, ACE, and Lyman. Aluminum, Brass, Iron/Steel. I like them all. My favorite is the $20 Lee 158 grain .358 RNFP. Love that Boolit, love that mold, love that price.

engineer401
07-18-2014, 11:43 PM
I've had great luck with Mountain Molds. They use Lee handles. Also consider a Magma Star sizer. I buy my lube from a vendor sponsor, http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/.

Wayne Smith
07-20-2014, 09:10 PM
My first mold was an RCBS. I then went to Lee. Start with a quality mold except for roundballs, Lee has the best there.

taco650
07-21-2014, 01:04 AM
I'll also recommend Lee for starting out. I'm new to this addiction too so I only have two molds, one is a Lee 2 banger for the 310 gr FPGC 44 boolit. The other is a brass one-holer that drops a .316/224gr RNGC. I figured out how to rob the handles off my Lee so I can use the brass mold. I also used an iron mold and it took longer to warm up but dropped nice slugs. Look around and see what you want. The biggest problem with molds is... TOO MANY CHOICES LOL!