PDA

View Full Version : Need Seating Stem Help

rwsem
07-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Does anyone make/modify seating stems for the HDY New Dimension dies? The floating seating stem seems too small and I can't open up the ID with the tools at home.
Now that you-all have me slugging barrels and pouring WFN boolits, I'm having an issue with a few of my seating stems not being large enough to accept noncommercial bullets. Yesterday I was reloading for my 375 WIN 94 and when I pulled the loaded case from the press, it had a terrible ring on the nose. I measured the ID of the stem (at the crimp ring) and it is .3745. I'm using a .377" WFN design. Luckily, I have a set of Redding 375 Supemag dies and completed the session.

Regards,
Ron

Stephen Cohen
07-13-2014, 08:27 AM
It would seem you have my problem, I found the expander die to small as well. I got a bolt that fits and old RCBS 45acp expander, having mate turn me an expander with several sizes on the one expander. I have found once you find the right sized cast you add 3 thou to diameter and that's the size of new expander. I still have to use my original expander first or risk crushing shoulder on my 375 Whelen. Can't you hold the floating piece in a set of grips and use the split dowel and wet and dry paper to open it up, assuming it only needs a little.

rwsem
07-13-2014, 11:34 AM
I thought about honing it out; 1) not certain how hard the steel is and 2) concerned about making it out of round. I know there are some folks on here that are handy with a lathe- hoping someone can help.

07-13-2014, 05:39 PM
The metal is soft enough to be easily and quickly enlarged by nothing more sophisticated than an appropriate sized, split dowel and some oiled wet/dry paper -- 400-grit to start, followed by 600 for a nice polish will work just fine.

Insert the dowel into the sliding sleeve and roll the sleeve along a piece of rubber or carpet or towel or, as you maintain downward pressure. Go slow, run a sized and lubed boolit through it often. When the boolit falls through freely, you're done. Clean it and use it.