PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt PC boolit leading.

sasquatch76
07-13-2014, 02:02 AM
I loaded up some of my PC'ed Lee 452-230TC in 45 Colt, they lead the bore of my Taurus Judge 3" horribly, tumble, and keyhole. I run my boolits through a 452 sizing die after coating, maybe this is too small? After coating they measure 453-454, would loading them without sizing solve my problems? Advice would be appreciated.

Beagle333
07-13-2014, 02:41 AM
The ones I have seen all lead and keyhole because the throats all measured 454-460 and a 452 boolit just rattled around in there until it hit the forcing cone.
It's a shotgun and I don't think it was really meant for pistol boolits, but perhaps the use of the occasional J-word in there.

Here's a search result:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/google.php?cx=partner-pub-6216953551359885%3A1942134700&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=judge+leading&siteurl=castboolits.gunloads.com%2Fforumdisplay.ph p%3F18-Swappin-amp-Sellin&ref=&ss=2539j718067j15&sa.x=0&sa.y=0

Let me add though, for an "on the nightstand" or "under the truck seat" gun to use at close range in a hurried situation, I don't think you can beat it.

6bg6ga
07-13-2014, 07:24 AM
The Judge is meant to be something that is capable of multitasking and not good in either setting. Accurate it is not as for what I have seen. Please do not take offense.

Mike Hughes
07-13-2014, 10:37 AM
yep, I bought one when they first came out and I traded it off shortly after. Same reasons, way too much jump to rifling, leads quickly, tumbles and keyholes. Worst gun I have ever owned. The salesman at academy really hyped it up and it looked cool. I think I lost about $200
Also, no offense intended, just stating my experience with the Judge

GoodOlBoy
07-13-2014, 11:46 AM
the only solution to that problem with the judge I have seen work well was a buddy who needed help for the exact same issue. He managed to find a OLD 255 grain RN Hollow Base mold that got pretty accurate in the bugger. It still leaded BAD, but you could at least hit what you were aimin' at.

My 2 cents is that the best all around load in a judge is just always going to be .410 000 Buck.

GoodOlBoy

bangerjim
07-13-2014, 01:27 PM
I have a Judge pistole and a Circuit Judge long gun. The handgun is good for close up & personal with 410's. I would NOT want to be in front of that thing loaded with 00 buck! I have not shot any PC slugs in it....only FMJ factory loads. It is not very accurate but an interesting gun. Good self-protection gun.....but NO a carry gun.....unless you are a VERY big person!!!!!!!

Now the long gun......OMG! Accurate as all get out! I have a RedDot on it and can lay down a 2.5-3" pattern at 100 yards easy. Just did it yesterday! Shooting PC'd 200/230/252/300 slugs. Sized to .452 before AND after PC to insure accurate specs. The 230gn is a microgrove.

I do not shoot 410's in the long gun.

Oh..................and absolutely ZERO LEADING after over 90 rounds this time and 350 last couple of times out. Wife loves it stuffed with the 300gn slugs. She picks off water bottles at 50+ yards almost every shot.

bangerjim

sasquatch76
07-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Wish I had another 45 Colt, but the Judge is all I have. With my 250gr XTP and 225gr FTX (Leverevolution) loads it's accurate out to 15-20yds and no copper fouling. I've never had a problem putting rounds on target with it. And yes, it is my nightstand gun. Well, if I can't get the cast/coated boolits to work in it, looks like J-words only.

urpersonalguard
07-13-2014, 05:13 PM
my judge has done very well with accuracy using 255 grain lee round nose sized to 454 with herco powder. and if you want to have fun try the brass shotshells with .433 round lead balls with herco and use waterglass to seal. more info on this here. http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html

bangerjim
07-13-2014, 09:11 PM
You can also make your own "snake" loads with 45LC's using about 6gn of a fast powder, a paper circle to hold it in (HF gasket punch), about 160 gn of #7 shot, and an aluminum GC turned around backwards and pushed in. You need to run it thru you sizing die 1st to get the GC to right size to fit the case. Bell case a bit. Tiny bit of crimp if needed.

Makes a good up close varmint load for any 45! And MUCH cheaper that 410 shells!

Replace shot with tumbler walnut shells, back powder down to 2gn and use thick cardboard for closure and you have an awesome "carpenter bee" load.

banger

DisinterestedThirdParty
07-18-2014, 09:12 AM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but there seems to be a lot of Judge owners (past and present) here...

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would choose a 410 load over a 45LC for personal protection. I consider the 45LC as possibly the best close quarters round out there. Remember this was a black powder round developed to fight against Apaches...

I carry a Bond Arms Derringer, 45LC/410. I use the 410 rounds when I'm jogging as protection from skunks. (It's a problem...). But for carry here in the frozen tundra of urban decay (Detroit area), it's 45LC all the way.

Chief Craig, (ref cover of the NRA mag), mentioned that a LOT of repeat offenders they pick up are wearing...body armor. In the winter, with heavier clothing, I use the 255gr solids for better penetration/knock down. Summer, the Hornady Critical Defense HP's.

So, why the 410?

bangerjim
07-18-2014, 12:26 PM
With the right 410 (NOT bird shot) loads, you can lay down a pretty tight pattern relatively close. 00 or 000 is what I have shot and it is devastating on the target. For varmint loads it is great with small shot. I make my own as mentioned in the above post.

But I really doubt you would want to be shot in the face with bird shot at 10 feet! Might not be lethal, but you would spend the rest of your life reading braille in your prison cell.

The Judge is not a distance pistol with shot.....relatively decent with 45LC carts. It is (in the 3" version) a big awkward ugly hand gun. I prefer the long gun Circuit Judge by far!

A long gun 410 shotgun is a toy compared to a 12ga anyway! But who ever thought you could carry LEGALLY a "sawed-off shotgun" in the form of a pistol...the Judge?

banger

DisinterestedThirdParty
07-21-2014, 03:40 AM
I've shot enough IDPA to know you stand a better chance with a body shot than you ever will with a head shot. Yes, there's no body armor on the head, but Newton still stands that F=ma, with that 255gr mass hitting the perp, they're going down. They may not hit the ground dead, but they're out of the fight. That leaves his co-conspirator the option of getting off the pot or something else...
Looking at the history, here, they're going to get you at an intersection or a gas station. They want your wheels and wallet, and you've got both right then and there...
Note: the latest permutation is hitting people in line at all night drive through lines. Again, you've got your wheels and wallet...
Yeah, I carry and pray it never leaves the holster.